Breakups, Bets, and Christmas

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

(I freaking can't think of a better title urgh)

I was hesitating to post this since Christmas already passed. It's supposed to be a Christmas fic plus a sort of consolation story from me for the inconclusive snippets I've posted last two chapters ^^;;

But it would be a waste, I think, if I scrap this just because I'm late lol

Anyway, this is a light, fluffy, a bit humorous kind of fic featuring pabo JunDong and their very "concerned" friends. I've done this during two long stressful car rides and haven't revised anything (yet) so it might appear messy in some places.

I hope each one of you is enjoying the holidays, and advance happy new year!

 


 

It’s not a surprise for Junhwe when the morning of Christmas Eve, he received a message telling him that A, his scheduled date for the night with his boyfriend of 1 month is cancelled, and B, he’s promptly dumped by said boyfriend of 1 month. He’s not even surprised at the reason given. It’s always, always been because the relationship isn’t going to work.

 

What surprised Junhwe however, is to see his best friend Donghyuk wandering alone in the shopping district, on Christmas Eve night, when he's supposed to have a date as well.

 

Spotting each other almost simultaneously, they both stop in their tracks in the middle of the street to stare at one another. The Christmas lights are twinkling and serves as a soft glittery backdrop, while some passing people look at them in curiosity. It’s like those dramatic scenes in shows where a fateful encounter occurs.

 

Of course, Junhwe and Donghyuk don’t see those things. Instead, what they see is a comrade in misery.

 

Junhwe mouths out “Dumped?”, to which Donghyuk answers with a nod and a sheepish shrug, mouthing back, “You?”. Junhwe responds by shrugging as well.

 

They both laugh.

 

 

---

 

 

The cafe is packed with couples, families and group of friends. Near the back, at a prime location suited for candle-lit dinners and “I Do” answers, sits Junhwe and Donghyuk as they share a large glass of parfait.

 

“This is a new record.” Donghyuk swallows a spoonful of the parfait. “I mean, best friends being dumped on the same day? And on Christmas Eve too? It deserves a category of its own.”

 

Junhwe smirks and continues taking apart his share of the dessert. “What? Like ‘Dudes with Bad Luck and Tragically Pathetic Breakups?’”

 

“Accurate but lame title. I’m not that hurt though. When week two came I already knew Jinhyeong and I are not gonna last.”

 

“Same. Hongseok-hyung is cool and all, but there’s really no spark.”

 

Junhwe chews down a mango piece and blinks his eyes when he sees cream left on the side of Donghyuk’s mouth. He snorts and leans forward a bit.

 

“Babe, you have cream on your lips.”

 

Donghyuk blinks back, pausing on his attempt to take more of the vanilla cake layer to lift his table napkin towards his mouth. He automatically hovers the cloth on the left side of his lips.

 

“Here?”

 

“Yeah. But go down a bit.”

 

Donghyuk mumbles an “ok”. When he fails to wipe the cream, Junhwe sighs and takes his own napkin to reach over and wipe it himself. The table beside them that’s full of girls watch their actions in discreet glee, giggling softly among themselves.

 

But Junhwe doesn’t hear any of it and doesn’t notice anything out of ordinary. Donghyuk doesn’t either and even takes the lone cherry on the parfait to feed it to his best friend, blurting out a cutesy “Thanks” with a bright smile. Junhwe accepts the cherry and smiles back.

 

“Seriously, why do we always get dumped? Our exs can’t even explain properly.”

 

“What is it that they always say?”

 

“We’re blind.” they answer at the same time, laughing a second after as if it’s a joke that never gets old.

 

 

---

 

 

Meanwhile,

 

Jinhwan sighs long and deep as he stares exasperatedly at his boyfriend across him. It’s a coincidence that Junhwe and Donghyuk had entered the same cafe they’re at, had sat directly behind their booth, and now he and Hanbin are made to eavesdrop.

 

Trust Junhwe and Donghyuk to not notice their surroundings much when they’re together. At this point in their 8 years of knowing the two (idiots) best friends, such a situation feels already a norm.

 

How could they not see that they’re sitting at a booth meant for couples, that they ordered a menu item intended for couples, and that they’re acting like a couple?

 

Hanbin seems amused as he sets aside his plate of dark chocolate cake to lean more on the table.

 

“Should I go over there and smack those two?” he whispers.

 

Jinhwan leans forward too. “I doubt a simple smack would wake them up. I almost lost it though. Who calls their best friend ‘babe’ in a non-sarcastic, non-playful way?”

 

“And said best friend accepts it as if it’s normal.” Hanbin playfully grimaces. “Do you want to transfer to another cafe? Or just chill the rest of the night at my place?”

 

Chilling at your place is always the plan to begin with.” Jinhwan rolls his eyes with an amused smirk before fishing out his phone from his jacket. “Before we do that though, lets update the others.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Have you forgotten the bet we had years ago? Half of us betted our 97-liners will stop being oblivious after 3 years.”

 

“Oh that.” Hanbin snickers and pulls his chocolate cake plate back to him. “You seem to think we’re gonna have a conclusion soon?”

 

His boyfriend smirks again. “It’s Christmas Eve. A lot can happen. If we play our cards right, at least one of our 97 will be forced to realize.”

 

“Finally.” Hanbin adds, holding out a fork with a piece of the cake for Jinhwan to eat.

 

 

---

 

Bet of the Century (300k)

 

Guys

Get your asses over here

 

Kimbab: Please tell me there’s development already

Kimbab: Man how old is this chat?

 

5 years

 

Chanu: Wow. Imagine that.

Chanu: I remember I was still in HS when this chat was called 97 Fancafe lmao

SongChef: So what’s the news Jinani? It better be good

 

Our JunDong’s currently at a cafe beside the art bookstore at Hongdae

They’re apparently dumped again lol

 

SongChef: Knew it

SongChef: I warned Jinhyeong and Hongseok but they won’t listen

Kimbab: How did you know Jinani?

 

They went in the cafe Hanbin and I are at

Happened to sit right behind us at the moment

You can guess the usual happenings

 

Chanu: lol What luck

Chanu: Are we allowed to meddle now?

Chanu: I betted 3 years. It’s been so long

SongChef: I forgot I betted 2.5

SongChef: I’m out then TT

 

Too bad Yunhyeongie

 

Kimbab: I’m still gonna stand by 5

Kimbab: AND NO MEDDLING

Kimbab: That’s our number 1 rule :(

 

Yeah no meddling

;)

 

Chanu: ;D

Kimbab: u guys

SongChef: Can I change my bet? TT

 

No

 

---

 

Shopping is mandatory whenever Donghyuk goes out, regardless of the reason why he’s out in the first place. So when he and Junhwe pass by a vintage clothing store with a big "SALE" sign at the entrance, he had grabbed the other’s hand and pulled him towards it.

 

“Relax!” Junhwe chuckles as he lets himself be pulled. “I’m not gonna stop you from checking the place out.”

 

Donghyuk blushes. “Sorry. Just got excited.”

 

“I know.” Junhwe gives a soft smirk and tugs the other’s hand. “Watch yourself, though. Don’t buy everything you liked.”

 

Donghyuk laughs, squeezes their hands, and leads the other inside. “Why do you think I’m dragging you with me here?”

 

As expected, the items on sale are the stock from last season. Donghyuk forgoes them and goes straight to the winter line, shuffling through hangers of coats and scarves. Junhwe doesn’t have any interest to look through the clothes but still follows the other around patiently, already satisfied with just standing and watching Donghyuk have fun fitting coats on his body frame.

 

They don’t notice how the store clerks watch them in amusement; all of them thinking they’re a couple.

 

They don’t notice two of their friends hanging around too.

 

Jinhwan is spot on with his predictions. Hanbin would like to go back to his place already but because his boyfriend’s having fun right now, might as well go along. Besides, he honestly wants his two poor oblivious friends to wake the up already.

 

“Hanbin-hyung! Jinhwan-hyung!”

 

He grins and waves a casual hand to Donghyuk as he approaches them. Jinhwan walks faster than him, smiling and immediately wrapping his arms around Donghyuk’s limb.

 

“Fancy meeting you two here! Aren’t you guys supposed to be with your boyfriends?”

 

“You mean ex-boyfriends.” Junhwe deadpans, looking too casual for someone who just got dumped. Jinhwan almost blurts out a sarcastic comment about it.

 

“Yeah, that happened.” Donghyuk has the decency to at least look sheepish. “We coincidentally met up near the train station and decided to just spend Christmas Eve together.”

 

Hanbin takes advantage of an opening. “What, like a date?”

 

It won’t be easy though.

 

“Yeah! Like a boys’ night out!” Donghyuk grins, playfully elbowing Junhwe who grins back.

 

For a second, Jinhwan considers backing out now. But then, he notices the long black coat Donghyuk’s holding and in a light bulb kind of moment, he gets an idea.

 

“Are you picking a winter coat for Junhwe? That’s so sweet.” he comments, letting go of Donghyuk to look at the clothes rack. “I’m about to look for one for Hanbin too.”

 

“You are?” Hanbin blinks at him. Jinhwan sends him an icy smile and pushes a dark red coat to his chest.

 

“Yeah, did you forget? I told you like, a minute ago! It’s going to be my Christmas present.”

 

“O-Oh. Ah, yeah! Right! A winter coat!” Hanbin finally picks up. He clears his throat and looks at Junhwe. “Why don’t we try on what they picked for us?”

 

“Wait, I wasn’t really picking a coat for Junhwe. I was just looking…” Donghyuk cuts in as he shifts his eyes from the coat to Junhwe, thinking.

 

Jinhwan tries to think of another excuse fast, but Junhwe and Donghyuk does it themselves.

 

“Yet you didn’t do anything but fit coats and scarves on me since we went in here.” Junhwe laughs softly. Donghyuk turns sheepish again.

 

“...It’s fun fitting clothes on you.”

 

“Oh. I’ll try this coat on for you then! Do you think it looks good on me?”

 

“Yeah. Anything looks good on you June.”

 

“Thank you, babe. Anything looks good on you too.”

 

God. Jinhwan and Hanbin suddenly feels fatigued.

 

Jinhwan resists a strong urge to sigh exasperatedly as he and Donghyuk sit on one of the waiting couches near the fitting rooms. The fight’s not over yet. He can steer his and Hanbin’s chance to better odds.

 

“I think the coat will look really good on June.” he starts. “Out of everyone, you know him the best.”

 

Donghyuk gives him a smile that says he’s proud of the comment. “Of course, hyung. We’ve known each other for a very long time. If I don’t know something as simple as the most flattering color and style on him, then I have no right to call myself his best friend.”

 

“Really? Then I should be ashamed.” Jinhwan playfully pouts. “I’m a best friend of June too but I’m not well-versed about those things.”

 

Donghyuk seems taken aback. He apologizes quickly but Jinhwan just waves it off.

 

“If it’s Hanbin though, I can tell you his sizes for everything, his preferred colors and the brands he likes. Like how you are with June.”

 

“Of course.”

 

There’s a strange trail-off after that answer and Jinhwan feels excited because he can sense Donghyuk thinking.

 

“Hanbin-hyung’s your boyfriend.”

 

“Indeed.” Jinhwan smiles. “Weren’t you the same with your exs?”

 

The face Donghyuk makes shows he wasn’t. Which should beg the question why? Jinhwan knows he’s getting through so he pushes more.

 

“You know, I also noticed it’s only you who can pull Junhwe into shopping and not hear a single complaint from him.” he moves closer to his dongsaeng. “Hongseok complained, you see. He said June doesn’t have the patience.”

 

“But June seems to enjoy looking around…”

 

Junhwe enjoys looking at you having fun with shopping, Jinhwan answers in his head. The temptation to say that to the younger with a conclusive statement of “You two are stupidly in love with each other” is strong, but he holds it in. Donghyuk should be on the fast-pace road to realizing it now and Jinhwan shouldn’t go overboard with meddling.

 

He can still give more hints, though.

 

“Makes you wonder why, right? All his exs have the same complaint. Even I, also a best friend of his, gets the same treatment.” he gives the other male a kind smile. “I’ve always told you this Donghyukie, and I feel the need to tell you this again.”

 

Donghyuk tilts his head in question.

 

“You are very special to Junhwe.”

 

Long ago, Donghyuk had smiled at that statement and said his best friend is special to him too. Jinhwan had given up back then. This time, he holds Donghyuk’s gaze, emphasizing his words with an unwavering look so Donghyuk could think more and more.

 

“W-Why do you feel the need to tell me again?”

 

Jinhwan mentally does a fist pump at the question.

 

“Because you’ve been missing a big part of the picture all this time. You and Junhwe, in fact.”

 

Their conversation is interrupted when Hanbin and Junhwe got out of their fitting booths at the same time. Hanbin compliments his boyfriend for the coat’s shade of red. Junhwe seems very pleased with the black one he’s wearing, proudly showing them how well it fits him as he gives off a rare wide smile.

 

Jinhwan leans to whisper to Donghyuk. “It takes someone very special to make him smile like that, don’t you think?”

 

“...Yeah.”

 

Jinhwan pulls back, taking a peek at Donghyuk’s reaction.

 

He likes what he sees very much.

 

Standing up, he approaches his boyfriend and helps him get the coat off of him, purposely saying that they’ll just look at another store. Hanbin blinks at him, taking more than a moment to catch up with his plan, before greeting the other two a Merry Christmas and letting himself be led out of the place.

 

“Backing out again, hyung?” Hanbin asks when they’re at the street again. Jinhwan snorts and laughs.

 

“No way. I think we’ll even have good news soon.”

 

In fact, if he knew it’s going to be this easy, he should have meddled long ago. Now the bet itself feels totally unnecessary.

 

 

---

 

 

“You okay? You’ve been quiet since we left the vintage store.”

 

Donghyuk stiffens a bit and shakes his head, looking up to give his best friend a reassuring smile. Instead, he ends up staring more than a necessary moment, as if he’s just seen Junhwe properly for the first time in a long while.

 

Has… has Junhwe always been this gorgeous?

 

“Donghyuk?” Junhwe wraps a hand around his arm, stopping the two of them from walking. His brows furrow. “Are you feeling too cold? Do you want to go to another cafe? Drink a cup of hot coffee?”

 

Donghyuk stares more. Was his reflection always so clear in Junhwe’s eyes?

 

“N-No.” he looks down, blinking rapidly as he bites his lip. The warmth in his cheeks is already enough to take out any chill he’s feeling. “I’m fine.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes!” he takes a deep breath and looks up to give that reassuring smile he initially wants to show. “Come on, there’s a lot more sights to see!”

 

Junhwe smirks and casually takes his hand, lacing their gloved fingers. Donghyuk feels his heart beat as Junhwe takes their hands and places it inside the pocket of his long coat, warming him up even more.

 

“Then let’s go! I want to see the big Christmas tree at the park.”

 

And Donghyuk sees it again. The same smile Junhwe has at the vintage shop. The smile that he always sees Junhwe wear whenever they’re together, and somehow had missed the importance of it until now.

 

“It takes someone very special to make him smile like that, don’t you think?”

 

“You are very special to Junhwe.”

 

He kind of understands why he keeps getting dumped now.

 

 

---

 

 

There’s something weird with Donghyuk.

 

It’s subtle. Most people wouldn’t even notice but Junhwe could. He sees the miniscule tight line in Donghyuk’s smile, the slight dimming of his eyes. Something had occupied Donghyuk’s mind deeply and it all started when they left the vintage clothing store.

 

He frowns. He doesn’t like it when Donghyuk is troubled about something. He doesn’t like it too when Donghyuk doesn’t say anything and just bottles whatever it is that’s troubling him.

 

“Woah!”

 

His thoughts stop at the familiar voice. Chanwoo and Bobby just appeared around the corner. Both of them oddly looked like they ran and are releasing puffs of air.

 

“What are you two doing here?” Chanwoo asks as he pats Bobby’s back while the older male coughs into a fist.

 

Donghyuk lets go of his hand, immediately going to Bobby’s side.

 

Junhwe frowns deeper. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Just seeing the city in this eventful night.” Bobby answers as he grins down at Donghyuk in reassurance. “I bumped into Chanwoo and since we both don’t have dates…”

 

“Like Donghyuk and I?” Junhwe asks. He notices how Donghyuk’s shoulders stiffen. Chanwoo snorts as if he said something funny, exchanging a quick look with Bobby.

 

“Ehh… not quite.”

 

Chanwoo and Bobby insisted on tagging along and since there’s nothing wrong with it, Junhwe and Donghyuk let them. Donghyuk seems to lighten up as soon as they start walking towards the direction of the Christmas tree park, and that change doesn’t go pass Junhwe. Not that he has an issue about it. All that matters is Donghyuk’s happiness.

 

It’s just… he feels a bit irritated that he doesn’t know why his best friend is troubled to begin with.

 

“So, I heard you guys got dumped.” Chanwoo mumbles to him. Both of them are walking a couple of paces behind Donghyuk and Bobby.

 

He scoffs. “What, did Jinani and Hanbin tattled to you?”

 

“Of course. No secrets in the group remember?”

 

Junhwe shakes his head. “Well, that’s another record to my list of failed relationships. Fortunately, I’m not the only one.”

 

“Do you ever wonder about that?”

 

“About what?”

 

“About why you guys kept getting dumped?”

 

“We're blind, apparently.” Junhwe rolls his eyes. He expects Chanwoo to be sympathetic but instead, the college junior just snorts and laughs into his hand.

 

“What’s so damn funny?” he elbows the younger male with a scowl. Chanwoo snorts again then shakes his head.

 

Chanwoo repeats the question in his head. What’s funny? The fact that the whole world knows the real deal but Junhwe and Donghyuk remain clueless - that’s what’s funny. What did Yunhyeong say about them two years ago again?

 

“Those pabos got too comfortable with their relationship.” Wise Man Yunhyeong had said. “Too comfortable, they unconsciously denied anything past a certain line even if they already stepped over that line a long time ago.”

 

Or, as Chanwoo argued back then, Junhwe and Donghyuk simply don’t love each other as more than friends.

 

That was in the past, however. After years of watching at the sidelines, the truth behind Junhwe and Donghyuk’s feelings had become as clear as how the sun rises from the east to Chanwoo.

 

“Sorry, just…” he sticks his tongue out at Junhwe. “It’s nothing.”

 

They avert their gaze to the front when they hear Donghyuk gasp. A glimpse of the giant Christmas tree can already be seen from where they are, so Donghyuk and Bobby had stopped for a moment to admire the big star attached at the tip.

 

“Chanu, June!” Donghyuk turns to beam at them, a finger pointing at the tree. “Look!”

 

Chanwoo smiles back at Donghyuk, nodding to let him know that he saw the tree. He peeks at Junhwe from the corner of his eyes; sees him bearing an adoring smile, before it dissolves to something that is icy. It happened the exact moment Donghyuk’s attention got pulled away by Bobby putting an arm around his shoulder.

 

Chanwoo lowers his gaze a bit and smirks. Damn, Bobby really is right. The hyung had told him Junhwe tends to give him dark looks whenever he’s being touchy-feely with Donghyuk.

 

“Did you ever get jealous of Donghyuk’s ex-boyfriends?”

 

Junhwe blinks at his sudden question to stare at him.

 

“What?”

 

“Did you ever get jealous? Of his exs?”

 

“...Sometimes.” Junhwe shrugs as they continue to walk again. “I mean, my best friend’s time is going to be taken away from me. But it’s not something serious.”

 

Fair enough. But… “What about Bobby-hyung?”

 

This time, the “What?” that is replied to him sounded gruff.

 

“You seem to only get jealous of Bobby-hyung within our circle of friends.”

 

“I…I don’t…--”

 

“It seems to be really different with Bobby-hyung.”

 

This is the exact situation Chanwoo is aiming for. The scene where Junhwe is too flustered to think of excuses so he can only blurt the truth. If he knew beforehand it’s going to be this easy to rile him up, he should have meddled long ago. Never mind the bet.

 

“I-It’s not… Bobby-hyung is-- of course Bobby-hyung is different. Compared to Donghyuk’s ex-boyfriends… compared to me… he--”

 

Chanwoo wishes he could record this very moment, when the dawning of a realization is so obvious on Junhwe’s face. Not because he can use it for blackmail purposes, but so he could show the footage to Junhwe or to Donghyuk if ever they choose to deny.

 

“... Bobby-hyung is Donghyuk’s ideal. If there’s someone special to Donghyuk other than me, it’s him.”

 

The grim in Junhwe’s voice is so thick, Chanwoo feels guilty for a second.

 

So more than the ex-boyfriends, more than anyone else, Junhwe feels threatened by Bobby - Chanwoo concludes in his head. As long as Bobby isn’t Donghyuk’s lover, Junhwe had thought he’d be fine.

 

One step closer is made. Only one more to go.

 

“That’s right. Bobby-hyung is special to Donghyukie.” he nods, then does a friendly pat on Junhwe’s upper back. “But definitely not as special as you, June. No one is as special as you are to Donghyuk.”

 

His friend doesn’t answer, choosing to remain silent as they follow their other two friends to the park. Chanwoo doesn’t mind. His job is done, and he knows he (and Bobby, because he still has a part in it) did well.

 

It’s up to Junhwe and Donghyuk now.

 

 

---

 

 

“Huh? Where’s Chanwoo and Bobby-hyung?”

 

Donghyuk looks around in confusion. Junhwe doesn’t because he saw the two mentioned males slipping away as soon as they reached the park.

 

And as if they know Donghyuk’s going to ask questions, Junhwe receives a text right that moment.

 

“They said they’ll just go to a bar.” he shows Donghyuk the text. “Bobby-hyung’s insistence.”

 

Donghyuk regards the text with a long second before nodding and shrugging his shoulders. “Well. Whatever works for them.”

 

Junhwe puts his phone back to his pocket. There’s a bunch of people around them, most of them couples and some families, and for the first time Junhwe is aware of the space in between him and Donghyuk. Of how close they are, barely a foot apart that he can just move a bit and their shoulders would be touching. Yet at the same time, the miniscule distance feels as if its miles wide. He feels… lonely. And oddly anxious. Like something inside him is in the verge of snapping.

 

It makes him even more anxious that he can’t figure out what exactly it is. He does have a big inkling, though.

 

“10!...9!...8!...--”

 

He glances to his side to see Donghyuk starting steadfastly at the tree. The lights from all the decorations around casts some sort of glow around him, and Donghyuk looks beautiful. Yet it’s not an image that surprises him. It’s a familiar sight. He’s always seen Donghyuk as a very beautiful person inside out.

 

But maybe… he hasn’t put more thought into it. On why he sees Donghyuk that way. Rather, he hasn’t acknowledged the reason.

 

Until now.

 

“...3!...2!...1!... Merry Christmas!!”

 

The whole park is lit up even more as the Christmas tree’s lights are in time with the countdown. Everyone starts cheering and laughing and dancing, but Junhwe remains just standing there, staring at Donghyuk.

 

Then he feels something bump to his hand. He glances down to see Donghyuk’s gloved fingers touching his, lacing them together. He looks up again to see Donghyuk smiling, his eyes sparkling, and the lights still casting a glow on him.

 

“Merry Christmas June-ya. I’m happy I’m here with you.”

 

This time, the image is different. What Junhwe sees seems to have intensified and he finds himself breathless. He loves that smile. He wants to keep making Donghyuk smile as happily as that. He loves how he can see his reflection clearly in those eyes, of how Donghyuk’s attention is on him and no one else. Funny how he doesn’t feel any of that with anyone else.

 

He remembers Chanwoo’s words.

 

“No one is as special as you are to Donghyuk.”

 

And he snaps; everything suddenly becomes clear. The abstract distance he felt is no longer there.

 

It turns out the answer has been by his side all along.

 

With his heart drumming fast, he greets Donghyuk, his Donghyuk, a Merry Christmas by leaning forward to press their lips together.

 

 

---

 

 

Donghyuk feels his whole world shift. He didn’t expect to be greeted back with a kiss, but it’s not something he disliked. In fact, it felt like it was a long time coming.

 

“That was really nice.” he whispers in humor after they pull away for air even though he feels like crying. Junhwe presses his forehead on his and grins.

 

“Yeah. Makes me feel really stupid for not kissing you sooner.”

 

Donghyuk grins back. “Well, best friends don’t kiss each other.”

 

“So we’re not best friends now?”

 

“Do you still want to?”

 

“Yes, of course. I want to always be your best friend.” Junhwe circles both arms around Donghyuk’s waist, pulling him closer. “And be more than that.”

 

“That’s a really good deal. Like a 2-in-1 package.”

 

Junhwe laughs. “It is, isn’t it?”

 

There’s a pause after; the two of them taking a long moment to gaze and just take in each other in a new yet very familiar and welcomed light.

 

“Donghyuk.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

Junhwe takes a hand to Donghyuk’s cheek, thumb caressing his skin along his cheekbones.

 

“This is sudden, but I’m in love with you.”

 

Donghyuk smiles. It’s amazing how hearing those words feels like being awaken from a long, bleak dream. Their ex-boyfriends were indeed right. He and Junhwe really have been stupidly blind all this time. No wonder not a single past relationship of theirs worked.

 

He lifts both of his arms to wrap them around Junhwe’s neck, leading him down towards his lips.

 

“No problem. I’m in love with you too.”

 

 

---

 

 

“Ahh…” Yunhyeong sighs. He rests his chin on both palms. “What is this bittersweet feeling? It’s like watching your two kids grow up and finally leave the nest.”

 

“You’re the only one among us who can think of that analogy.” Bobby comments with a snicker.

 

Meanwhile, Chanwoo and Jinhwan are busy snapping pictures of The Kiss that they can (fortunately) see from their vantage point at the outdoor seats of a cafe. Hanbin chooses to watch the moment, no doubt engraving it in his mind so he could use the image as inspiration for his music.

 

“The bet is still on until both of them announces they’re lovers, right?” Chanwoo says as he checks the photos he took in his phone.

 

Bobby chuckles. “Does that mean I still have a chance? They can take another two years before they tell us.”

 

Please. That’s not gonna happen.” Jinhwan scoffs then sips from his hot chocolate. “But honestly, I’m satisfied with this. I don’t care about the 300k anymore.”

 

“We’re all just really happy.” Hanbin says as an agreement.

 

There’s a short, comforting silence until Chanwoo speaks up again, suggesting about betting over who pops the question between Donghyuk or Junhwe instead. The group of friends glance at each other at that before bursting into laughter. It’s a tempting game but perhaps they’ll just enjoy watching over their two friends without any strings attached this time.

 

“Merry Christmas guys.” Yunhyeong greets with a wide smile as he raises his coffee cup for a toast. The others follow suit.

 

“Merry Christmas!”

 

.

.

.