Prompt 6: You're A Melancholy I'd Love to Have

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Or "The 12 Instances Fate Messes With Junhwe's Life"

Prompt # 6 for: deactivatein321

Genre: cute fluffy fox-boy AU
Pairing: jundong
Plot: Idk LOL. Just maybe follow the format of your vampire lycan sequel? I loved that. Random moments between rich owner June and his foxboy pet Donghyuk. They don’t have to be connected to each other. It’s up to you what kind of scenes you’ll do. :3

 

Ok, 1st of all the title is... lol. 2nd, I'm sorry because this isn't cute and fluffy like what was requested. It's... semi cute? Semi fluffy? I think. And it became longer than expected because I just went on and on. Please don't expect the next ones to be like this. They can be way shorter... or way longer. *sweatdrops*

Anyway, please tell me what you guys think. I hope you'll like this, deactivatein321! ♥

 


 

 

1. At first meeting

 

 

Two weeks after Jiyong-hyung’s passing rites were done, Junhwe is finally allowed to see and take ownership of his inheritance which consists of the following:

 

A house too big for a recently transferred university student like him. Numerous assets and bank accounts that could enable him to retire right now and live very comfortably. And…

 

“This is Donghyuk. I’m sure Mr. Jiyong told you about him.”

 

Apparently, a pet.

 

He stares at the demi-human in front of him. There are fox ears peeking out from his blondish brown hair and a tail that doesn’t move behind him. This fox shifter is the prettiest Junhwe has seen in his very limited experience of seeing one, and is also oddly familiar, but that’s not the point.

 

“No, I haven’t heard anything about this.” Junhwe says to Jiyong-hyung’s attorney. “It’s just supposed to be hyung’s house and assets, right?”

 

“Yes, but Donghyuk is part of the master’s will for you.”

 

The attorney pulls out a file envelope from inside his portfolio bag, opening it and pointing out to him a paragraph near the bottom of the thick document.

 

“It says here that he wants his younger brother to get along with Donghyuk, as he is as important to him as you are. He wishes for the two of you to live together here and manage his assets well.”

 

“Wait, what?”

 

“Please to meet you Junhwe-ssi. Let’s get along well.” the fox suddenly speaks. He holds out his hand for a shake and shows Junhwe a suspiciously cheerful smile.

 

Junhwe gulps. He has all the intentions to take good care of his hyung’s assets but not a demi-human “pet” who he never heard about until now. Besides, he’s not good at taking care of others at all. Material things, yes. But living things? No. The one time he had a pet puppy, it ended up being taken by the pet welfare because of his neglect. That incident scarred him so much, he knew he isn’t cut out for caring for other people.

 

The attorney stares expectantly at him so he clears his throat and finally shakes the fox’s hand. He notices the fox’s tail swaying a bit.

 

“I’m Junhwe. Just call me June. Pleased to meet you too.”

 

That’s a lie, of course. How else is he supposed to feel pleased when a shifter pet is suddenly shoved to him?

 

“Hey, can you like, just shift to a full fox from now on?” he asks because honestly, that will make things easier.

 

But his new pet just continues to smile that suspicious smile of his and grips his hand tighter.

 

“Sorry, can’t do that. I’m needed more in this form than as a full fox, you see.”

 

The fox’s voice is icy as he says those words. Junhwe sees the attorney just shake his head before giving him a disappointed look.

 

He frowns and releases the shifter’s hand. Great. What a way to start a new life. He hopes Jiyong-hyung is having a good laugh from the beyond.

 

 

 

 

 

 

2. When he starts living as the master

 

 

Junhwe admits his ego is often bruised at just 23 years of age but this one, this exact phase he’s in, this is the worst.

 

It didn’t take long for him to find out that Donghyuk, his new “pet”, is not really a pet. Rather, Donghyuk is a secretary, a household manager, an accountant, a chef, etcetera. The fox is essentially a super butler and he’s being called a pet only as a legal designation because the laws are still lacking for his kind.

 

And what’s more, Donghyuk was the one managing Jiyong-hyung’s assets for the past 2 years. He’s also trusted by his hyung’s advisers. And now, Junhwe is to be mentored by him - a fox shifter who’s almost the same age, is not attending university, and is supposed to be living his life as a carefree pet.

 

It’s as if their roles as the master and the pet are reversed.

 

Junhwe wants to be angry. He’s actually looking for a reason to evict Donghyuk or to make him leave on his will. But Donghyuk is patient with him despite his deliberate stubbornness, is diligent in memorizing his likes and dislikes, and doesn’t take revenge even when he purposely messes with him to make him upset.

 

“Whatever you try, I won’t leave.” Donghyuk tells him after he did a lame and childish prank of dumping pond water on him. “Jiyong-hyungnim asked me to stay by your side, so that’s what I’m going to do.”

 

Junhwe snorts. “Wow, what a loyal pet. Looks like hyung pampered you very much.”

 

“Oh yes, he did.” Donghyuk runs a hand through his wet hair.

 

“He pampered me with home tutors, with lessons on technical and household management. He took me to meetings telling me to observe and learn, and told me to beat his prospective managers so I won’t be looked down on. If you consider all that…”

 

He stares up at Junhwe through glistening lashes. Junhwe stiffens.

 

“...yes, I was very pampered. It’s a life a shifter wouldn’t dream of having.”

 

“You can’t expect something like that from me.” he warns. Donghyuk just shrugs.

 

“I know. I can take care of myself and apart from your studies and the management of hyung’s assets, I won’t meddle with your other affairs.”

 

“Oh really? What if I decide to drop-out, take all his money, and leave? I’m legally still your owner so you can't stop me.”

 

“But you won’t. You love hyungnim and treasure his memory too much to do that. Why else did you even decide to chain yourself here when you were already free?”

 

Junhwe stiffens once more. He didn’t expect that.

 

“And you have great potential, June.” Donghyuk continues, sighing and giving out a smile that isn’t pretentiously cheerful. It’s a smile that’s simply… helpless.

 

“Hyungnim was always proud of you. He said whatever career path you choose, you’ll succeed and do more than what’s expected.”

 

Junhwe purses his lips and can’t find the words to argue. Just like that, he was shot down. Donghyuk didn’t brag and just bowed to him before leaving the east courtyard.

 

And so, Junhwe stops the pranks and eviction plans. He complains about being reminded of essay assignments and mock proposals, but he does them in the end. All for Jiyong-hyung and his own future. As the days go by, he becomes suspicious that he’s been manipulated to do exactly what the fox and his hyung wants.

 

It’s so frustrating, especially when he starts reasoning with himself that he doesn’t mind it at all, and that having Donghyuk around doesn’t feel that bad as how he thought it would be.

 

 

 

 

 

 

3. When his first sees

 

 

His friends want to see his “mansion” so Junhwe took them there after classes. He didn’t bother calling Donghyuk about it since he’s probably out doing errands.

 

Hanbin, Yunhyeong and Bobby all loudly whistle as they check out the antique decorations and high-class furniture occupying the large space of the living room. He grins and makes his way to the kitchen area to get some beers and snacks, when he notices something from the porch of the east pond garden. It’s his pets tail.

 

He glances at his friends before closing the kitchen’s outer sliding door, making his way to the porch to see what the shifter’s doing there. When he finally sees, he freezes a bit.

 

Donghyuk is sleeping on the cool wood, fingers curled by his chin. His bangs are brushed slightly to the side so his left eye is partly covered, and a soft smile is present on his lips. The warm sunset light gives his face a gentle glow and the effect is just…

 

There’s a particularly loud thump from inside followed by laughter, so he’s taken out from his thoughts. Donghyuk’s fox ears move and in seconds, he’s getting up. He rubs his eyes then gasps a bit when they face each other.

 

“J-June! You’re here already?” Donghyuk blushes and combs his hair with his fingers. Junhwe feels warmth on his cheeks too but he doesn’t know why. No, he knows why but he’ll just pretend he doesn’t. For now.

 

“Yeah, classes ended early. I brought my friends by the way.”

 

“What? Why didn’t you tell me before coming here?”

 

“Because I thought you’ll be out--”

 

“I’m your household manager. You have to tell me regardless if I’m out or not!”

 

Junhwe can only gape as Donghyuk hurries back to the kitchen. It’s too late to give Donghyuk a warning about his friends’ antics. By the time he’s back inside, his friends are already all over the shifter.

 

“June-ya! Why didn't you tell us you have a fox shifter pet?”

 

“Woah, this is like my third time in my whole life to see a full-fledged shifter.”

 

“You’re really cute. What’s your name?”

 

Junhwe expects Donghyuk to be uncomfortable but contrary to that, he introduces himself politely and offers to make them snacks and drinks. Junhwe watches as his friends cheer and crowd around the fox more, asking him questions about his race and his relationship with Jiyong-hyung.

 

That catches Junhwe’s attention. He hooks his thumbs on the band of his jeans as he listens silently. He sees how Donghyuk’s eyes lit up, his tail swinging in excitement, as he enthusiastically tells his friends how Jiyong-hyung saved his life, etcetera.

 

“I’m really grateful to him. I owe him everything.” says Donghyuk with a smile exactly the one he has when he was sleeping at the porch. Junhwe realizes it’s his natural one, unlike the ones he gives Junhwe when they talk.

 

“Then you’ll also take care of June-ya, right?” Yunhyeong asks with a teasing hint on his voice. Junhwee sends his friend a glare.

 

Donghyuk looks at him with a thinking gaze, his ears twitching a few times before he answers.

 

“Of course. He’s Jiyong-hyungnim’s dongsaeng after all.”

 

His friends start cheering again but Junhwe doesn’t feel happy. He frowns, shrugs his shoulders and leaves them there. Questions form inside his head, asking whether it’s still worth his time to stay when he’s not even being acknowledged as he is.

 

 

 

 

 

 

4. When he’s in denial

 

 

He’s not doing this so he could be acknowledged by a fox shifter who happens to be his “pet”. Nope.

 

“What’s this?”

 

He waits with pride as Donghyuk opens the folder he gave him. It contains his recent essays for all his majors, showing a high score.

 

“This is the highest scores you have so far.” Donghyuk remarks as he shuffles through the papers. Then he looks up to him with a grin, his tail swaying and ears perking.

 

“Good job, June!”

 

He grins back, not bothering to hide how giddy he is from being praised.

 

“Now, why don’t we go over to the next parts of your syllabus? Let’s aim for a higher score okay?”

 

He immediately retracts his grin. Donghyuk snorts and chuckles at him, patting his shoulder before telling him they’ll start the extra lessons after dinner.

 

Junhwe grumbles under his breath and regrets showing Donghyuk his essay scores.

 

(Half of him doesn’t.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

5. When he meets with reality

 

 

Nervous is an understatement to how Junhwe feels right this moment, when he’s among board members, secretaries, and other managers.

 

He tugs on his tie and discreetly takes a glance around the meeting hall, making sure he memorizes the faces of his older brother’s important business personnel. Donghyuk is in front of him, carefully smoothing out any creases on his suit.

 

“You’ll only be listening and observing. You don’t have to say anything.” Donghyuk tells him with an encouraging smile. “Don’t be nervous.”

 

“I’m not.” he retorts with a scoff. Donghyuk just snickers.

 

He’s about to say something else but someone announces that the meeting will start now so all the secretaries need to leave. Donghyuk turns to go as well and it takes Junhwe aback. Isn’t Donghyuk one of Jiyong-hyung’s major financial managers?

 

“Wait, you’re not attending?”

 

“No.” Donghyuk tilts his head at him with a small smile. “I’m just a pet after all.”

 

Junhwe frowns at that as he watches Donghyuk leave him alone. He notices how some people would give the shifter sideway glances, lingering their eyes on him for more than a moment, before looking away to whisper to their colleagues.

 

The meeting went for two hours and Junhwe learned a lot. He also realized a few important things. One, the extra lessons Donghyuk made him do had practically equipped him to understand almost everything that was discussed. Second, a lot of the people who attended admires his hyung and thinks of him in each decision even until now.

 

Third, Junhwe is still looked at as the illegitimate son, and Donghyuk is still looked at as the late master’s “fox toy”.

 

As he exits the hall after the meeting, he sees Donghyuk patiently sitting by the lounge. No one is talking to him as the others chatter away. Junhwe clenches his fists a bit and clears his throat.

 

“Donghyuk-ah.”

 

It wasn’t even a firm call but Donghyuk raises his head within a second, his ears twitching and perking up. The people around stopped talking as the fox approaches Junhwe, chattering again when Donghyuk’s back by his side.

 

“So, how was your first meeting?”

 

“It . There’s too many people trying to one-up each other.” he makes a jokey gagging face, causing Donghyuk to chuckle. He grins at that and lets the other lead him to the elevators. A small group of people passes by them and he hears someone mutter “brat” and “sly fox”.

 

Junhwe clenches his fists again. One last thing he realized from the meeting? Despite inheriting almost everything, he remains as powerless as he’s always been.

 

 

 

 

 

 

6. When he sees again

 

 

It’s finally semester break and his friends are hanging out again. This time, they insisted to have a sleepover watching movies in the 4k curved glass TV in the living room. Bobby brought a whole stack of beers while Yunhyeong offered to help Donghyuk prepare snacks. Hanbin either bothered them or argued with Junhwe about his movie choices.

 

Junhwe wants to invite Donghyuk to watch with them but every time he tries to say the words, he ends up blanking out. His friends come to the rescue though and had dragged Donghyuk to the living room after ddeokbokki and fried chicken were done.

 

He pretends not to care as both Yunhyeong and Bobby pull Donghyuk between them on the carpet. Hanbin is on the couch, legs on either side of Donghyuk, as he plays with Donghyuk’s hair. Donghyuk doesn’t seem to mind. His eyes are glued on the screen and his tail‘s swaying happily.

 

Once in a while, Donghyuk would catch Junhwe looking so Junhwe would quickly avert his gaze. When he looks again after a moment and sees Donghyuk still staring at him, this time with a soft smile, his cheeks warm up. He curses inwardly and distracts himself by drinking beer.

 

Much later, when the movies are done and he wakes up to see his friends sprawled on the couches with blankets on top of them, he stands up tipsily to find where the fox is. He easily finds him on the outer porch in front of the pond, looking at the night sky.

 

“Need something?” Donghyuk asks when he sits down beside him. Junhwe massages his neck.

 

“Nah. Was just wondering where you are.”

 

“And you found me.” the other says, sticking his tongue out.

 

“Yeah.”

 

They don’t say anything after that. Junhwe looks up at the dark expanse above them, remembering hazy memories of him and Jiyong-hyung pointing out night constellations when he was just a kid and hyung was just a teenager.

 

“Do you miss hyung?” he blurts. He blames his tipsy state for it.

 

“Yes. I miss him in times like this.”

 

“Me too.”

 

And then they’re quiet again.

 

Junhwe blinks his eyes a few times to get his focus back, lowering his head to look at Donghyuk. The shifter is still staring up at the night sky, the moonlight and the soft outdoor lights making him appear luminescent. He stares more and sees how the stars above reflect on Donghyuk’s almond eyes.

 

“You have pretty eyes.”

 

Again, Junhwe blames the alcohol in his system.

 

But that catches Donghyuk’s attention. The shifter’s fox ears perk up in surprise as he turns to look at him, eyes wide.

 

“Pardon?”

 

“You have pretty eyes.” Junhwe repeats. “I can see the stars.”

 

“Oh.” Donghyuk shifts his gaze a few times before setting it back to him. Junhwe likes to believe the red on Donghyuk’s cheeks isn’t just his imagination.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

The fox smiles at him; not the business one but the natural one. Junhwe gets more courage from that and he feels he could pull more from his suppressed truths, but Donghyuk breaks eye contact and stares up at the sky again. As he stares at him once more, Junhwe increasingly feels like he’s intruding on something.

 

He suddenly realizes what the night sky means for Donghyuk.

 

Alcohol is blamed for the 3rd time because Junhwe didn’t consume enough to make him truly drunk. Enough so he wouldn’t realize Donghyuk still sees his hyung more than him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

7. When he’s almost there

 

 

Junhwe notices Donghyuk is more smiley and less uptight nowadays. The fox also seems more enthusiastic with his work, even humming when he’s preparing snacks (for his friends who are in his house. Again).

 

He clears his throat and stands beside Donghyuk at the kitchen counter, eyes on him as he wordlessly takes the grapes and places them on the prepared platter. Donghyuk glances at his hands before looking up at him.

 

“I wasn’t doing anything, so.” Junhwe clears his throat again.

 

Donghyuk snickers and then pushes the bowl of strawberries towards him, instructing him to dip the tip of each one on the chocolate ganache before placing on the platter. Junhwe automatically frowns but when he sees a grin on Donghyuk’s face and his tail actively swinging, he lets go of the annoyance and does as he’s told.

 

His ungrateful friends gobble up everything, of course. Even Yunhyeong the gourmet enthusiast just gives a brief look at his work before nonchalantly telling him that he could do better next time. Then Donghyuk sits beside Junhwe and presents a bowl of a mini banana split with fresh whipped cream, sprinkled with Junhwe’s favorite choco liqueur syrup. Junhwe immediately lightens up.

 

“That’s not fair!” Bobby points at the bowl. “We only get June’s half-assed fruits while he gets to have a banana split!”

 

“As if Donghyuk would even make you banana split.” Hanbin snarks at Bobby. Yunhyeong rolls his eyes.

 

“That’s not the point, you guys. Are you two forgetting June is Donghyuk’s master?”

 

Junhwe stiffens at that. Aside from Bobby and Hanbin, it seems even he had forgotten that fact too. He glances down at the bowl and then at his… “pet”. That sudden reminder doesn’t sit well with him.

 

Donghyuk stands up from beside him, a weird smile on his face.

 

“That’s right. I’m master Junhwe’s--”

 

“Friend.” Junhwe cuts in as he grabs Donghyuk’s wrist and tugs him back, a glare being thrown at his friends. “Donghyuk-ah’s my important friend. What are you all talking about?”

 

Then he redirects the same glare to Donghyuk. “And you, why are you suddenly calling me master? That’s so unnecessary.”

 

Silence.

 

Donghyuk suddenly stands up again. He gives out his business smile and tells them he remembers having more errands to do so he’ll leave now. The fox moves so fast, he’s already out before they could convince him to stay.

 

“Er… sorry June-ya. We didn’t mean to make things awkward.” Yunhyeong sheepishly says, hands smacking both Hanbin and Bobby on their backs to make them apologize.

 

“Yeah, we didn’t mean anything bad.”

 

“We’ll apologize to Donghyuk when he comes back. He’s our important friend too.”

 

Junhwe glares more at his dumb friends. He’ll disown them if Donghyuk goes back to treating him with distance. Besides, why are they also calling him an important friend? They don’t know the gravity of the word “important” in there.

 

But the attachment of “friend” after that doesn’t feel correct either.

 

He grumbles and starts eating the banana split, making sure his friends see how he enjoys each bite. When Donghyuk finally returns after an hour, bringing expensive juice cans from the nearest convenience store, his friends all crowd around him, hugging him and apologizing for implying a notion they didn’t mean. Donghyuk’s tail moves pleasantly from left to right as he offers the juice to them and says his own apology for walking out.

 

Junhwe rolls his eyes when the three starts gushing at how kind and “angelic” Donghyuk is. He gets up from his seat and approaches them, stopping when he’s directly in front of the fox. His friends immediately let go and gives them space.

 

“I’m sorry that we made you feel uncomfortable.” he says with his tone as soft as he could. He raises a hand to pat Donghyuk on the head but Donghyuk suddenly steps back. His tail stopped moving, as if it’s electrified, and his ears are twitching weirdly.

 

Donghyuk is also avoiding his gaze, his cheeks pinkish red.

 

“No need to say sorry.”

 

Then he blurts about catching up on security reports before walking out of the living room. Junhwe has his hand hanging in the air until Bobby squeaks out “Oops”, so he clenches his hand and gives his friends the deepest scowl he could muster.

 

“This is all your fault! Now he’s too embarrassed to even look at me! You’re all forbidden to go here from now on!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

8. When he already realized

 

 

“You know, I’ve been thinking about this lately.”

 

Junhwe raises an eyebrow at Yunhyeong. Bobby and Hanbin doesn’t seem to care and continued taking down notes for their group report.

 

“What is it?”

 

“You like Donghyuk don’t you?”

 

Bobby and Hanbin simultaneously paused writing and proceeded to pretend instead of actually taking down notes. Junhwe can feel warmth on his cheeks.

 

“Of course I like him. You know I’m not one to tolerate living with someone I hate.”

 

The two eavesdropping dumbs release a snort. Yunhyeong prevents a laugh. “Okay, let me rephrase my question.”

 

“You’re gonna ask me if I’m in love with him, right?”

 

This time, all three of his friends tense up. Junhwe sighs and looks down at his notebook.

 

“It doesn’t matter. He’s still in love with Jiyong-hyung.”

 

The atmosphere around them turns heavy. Junhwe gives them an apologetic smile and turns the next page of his Management textbook. He’s grateful his friends chose not to intrude any longer and resumed working on their report instead.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9. When things are okay

 

 

Junhwe’s humming to himself as he carries a plastic bag containing ice cream he bought for Donghyuk and himself. He and his friends managed to get very high scores for their group report and are even exempted from taking a minor essay. The rest of senior year should be a breeze now. He grins at himself as he imagines the cheerful face Donghyuk will make once he shows the score. Maybe they could go out for a late night samgyupsal later.

 

He’s so preoccupied with his thoughts that he doesn’t notice two looming shadows behind him, guns on their hands and their faces hidden by masks. He can only gasp when one of them jumps on him and quickly covers his mouth with a cloth before pressing the gun on his head.

 

And then there’s a ferocious growl. In his shocked state, Junhwe watches as an unusually large animal jumps from the shadows and tackles the one who had him captive. The animal’s movements are so fast that the two men couldn’t avoid his bites, causing them to scream and collapse on the ground. When everything's starting to get calm, Junhwe finally sees what kind of animal it is.

 

It’s a fox with blondish brown fur. The figure of the fox is already strikingly familiar but one look at its eyes, Junhwe instantly knows.

 

“Donghyuk-ah!”

 

Donghyuk dashes towards him, circling his form before getting closer to the bleeding scratch on his cheek. He chuckles at the ticklish sensation as he gently wraps his arms around the fox. His fox.

 

“Thank you.” he whispers, pressing a ghost of a kiss on Donghyuk’s head. “Let’s go home.”

 

But then Donghyuk’s ears perk up. One of two assailants recovered and fired. Junhwe’s heart stops as Donghyuk tackles him down, shielding him. More men appear but Junhwe recognizes them as Jiyong-hyung’s security personnel.

 

He lets the security team apprehend the two assailants so he could focus on Donghyuk, who has collapsed on top of him; warm blood seeping between them.

 

Junhwe gasps in horror.

 

Two of his security goes to him, telling him they’ll take him and Donghyuk to the hospital. He shouts at them for not arriving sooner.

 

He sobs and gathers Donghyuk into his arms before standing up. One of them offers to carry his fox for him but he refuses. Quickly wiping angry tears off his eyes, he hurries with them towards a waiting van.

 

 

 

 

 

 

10. When he took one step forward

 

 

“Welcome back!”

 

Junhwe smirks softly at seeing Donghyuk’s shocked face as his friends greet him from at front door. All of them have ridiculous party hats while loud trap music plays from inside.

 

His friends are quick to go into action, telling Donghyuk how it’s his welcome home party and that he’s not allowed to do anything except just enjoy his day. Yunhyeong bragged about cooking all the party food on the table, while Bobby and Hanbin apologizes in advance for “botching up” the chocolate cake. Apparently, they did the frosting and decorations on it.

 

Donghyuk tells them how happy he is. They do a group hug and Junhwe is even pulled into it. He makes sure he’s the one beside Donghyuk, his arm protective around the shifter’s waist.

 

And of course, his friends end up sleeping sprawled on the living room once again after a soju shot game. Junhwe is spared only because he insisted to be the referee. He ends up still napping though and only wakes up when Hanbin kicks his leg while asleep.

 

It’s like deja vu when he finds Donghyuk sitting at the pond porch and staring at the night sky. And like that first time, he sits beside him too.

 

“Why aren’t you sleeping? You even did the dishes when we told you we’ll handle that.”

 

“I don’t trust you guys.” Donghyuk tells him with a sheepish grin. “But tonight’s really fun. Thank you for planning it for me.”

 

“No prob. They’ll be glad you enjoyed the party.”

 

Donghyuk grins wider at him then lays down on the cool wood, eyes back on the night sky. Junhwe follows after a moment or two, amusement playing in him because it’s really like a replay of the past. Except he isn’t tipsy this time.

 

“Thank you for saving my life.”

 

“You’ll never get tired of saying that, huh? But you’re welcome, and thank you too for not getting hurt.”

 

Junhwe nods. He thinks of something more to say when he sees Leo in the sky. It’s Jiyong-hyung’s favorite constellation. He hesitates.

 

“Jiyong-hyung’s definitely proud of you. You protected his dongsaeng well.”

 

“I hope he is.”

 

Junhwe sneaks a peek to his left to see Donghyuk smiling up at the stars. Something prick in his chest and he gulps.

 

“Will you still save my life… do everything you did for me, if I’m not hyung’s brother?”

 

Donghyuk averts his eyes from the sky to face him. The smile he wears now is more of amusement.

 

“Assuming we’ll still meet if you aren’t Jiyong-hyung’s dongsaeng, I guess I’ll still save your life.”

 

“You guess?”

 

“Because it’s an imaginary scenario.” the fox chuckles before reaching over to brush some of Junhwe’s bangs. Junhwe’s heart skips a beat.

 

“But as far as our reality goes, I will stay by your side and take care of you. Not because you’re Jiyong-hyung’s brother and my legal owner, but because you’re you. And you’ve always been very important to me, like how I’m important to you.”

 

Time seems to still this time and Junhwe won’t mind if he stays forever like this, beside Donghyuk and having his eyes on him.

 

Then without the influence of alcohol, and before he could have second thoughts, Junhwe gathers his courage to speak. “You’re one cruel fox. I don’t think you know how important you are to me.”

 

He can only chuckle humorlessly as Donghyuk blinks at him, looking genuinely confused.

 

“How am I cruel? Please explain.”

 

“You’re cruel because you say those words to me even though you’re still in love with Jiyong-hyung. What do you want me to do?”

 

He and waits. The fox stares at him, speechless and wide-eyed in shock.

 

Taking what’s left of his courage, Junhwe moves closer. He lifts his upper body, just enough so he could block Donghyuk’s view of the stars and press a tender kiss on his lips.

 

He doesn’t want to but Junhwe still pulls away after a moment, eyes steady on Donghyuk’s shocked face as if looking for a sign. When Donghyuk remains quiet, Junhwe smiles helplessly and veils his feelings in his next words.

 

“Your eyes are really beautiful.”

 

Then he completely pulls away, stands up, and leaves.

 

 

 

 

 

 

11. When he gave up

 

 

He’s about to enter the main room when someone tackles him to the floor. He groans and turns, but the person takes advantage of that and straddles his lap, locking him down on the wooden hallway of the porch.

 

It’s Donghyuk; his tail swaying too energetically behind him, ears twitching, and cheeks red. He has a big pout on his lips.

 

There’s a huge urge to pull him into a tight hug and kiss that pout away but Junhwe resists.

 

“Donghyuk, let me go--

 

“What was that kiss about?” Donghyuk cuts in, the color on his cheeks deepening. “You say I’m cruel but you are too!”

 

June raises an eyebrow. “Why? That kiss shouldn’t even mean anything to you. If I offended you, I’m sorry.”

 

The pout on Donghyuk’s face turns into a frown. “I’m offended that you think I should be. So you’re just playing with me with that kiss and the thing about my eyes? Are you treating me like a pet now?”

 

“No.” Junhwe frowns too. “I never intended to play with you. I’m not that same guy who dumped pond water on you anymore.”

 

“I know. That’s why I want you to clear this up.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because that kiss is making me hope!” Donghyuk pounds his fists on Junhwe’s chest. “And who the hell told you I’m in love with Jiyong-hyungnim?! I’m not-- I was never in love with him!”

 

Junhwe literally feels his mind and heart suspend.

 

“What…”

 

“So all this time… you were thinking I have romantic feelings for hyungnim? He’s my hero, a mentor, a role model, but I never looked at him as anything else!”

 

It took Junhwe more than moment to take in Donghyuk’s words. He moves to sit up, a grin already making its way to his lips.

 

“Does this mean…”

 

Donghyuk’s still frowning when he leans to kiss Junhwe. It’s brief and shyly done, almost like a peck, but Junhwe still feels an exhilarating shock go through each of his fibers.

 

“Revenge for messing with my mind.” Donghyuk whispers, their lips barely an inch apart, and Junhwe just stops breathing because stars are on his eyes again.

 

Then his fox breaks away before Junhwe could pull him closer. Donghyuk’s tail is swaying in panic as he marches out of the hallway.

 

“Don’t talk to me until you’ve reflected enough for your assuming actions!”

 

Silence.

 

Junhwe exhales, slaps both hands on his face, and muffles a squeal as red spreads from the base of his neck to the tips of his ears. “But you’ve messed with my mind too, you gorgeous fox!”

 

He groans then sprawls on the wooden floor again, face still red but a big grin on his lips. Ah, really. What should he do? He physically, mentally and emotionally can’t turn back. Donghyuk practically has him wrapped around his finger now; body, heart and soul.

 

But Junhwe doesn’t mind. Not one bit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

12. When it’s no longer life that’s messing with him

 

 

“You know in the U.S., it’s already legal for humans and shifters to marry.”

 

Junhwe tries to sound as casual as he can. He peeks at his fox from behind his laptop.

 

Donghyuk pours newly brewed coffee on a cup. “What’s your point?”

 

“Wanna go live there?”

 

Junhwe watches as Donghyuk approaches him from the minibar, smile on his face. Donghyuk places the cup on his mahogany desk in a deliberately nonchalant way, so some of the hot liquid almost spilled. A warning. Junhwe jerks in caution while Donghyuk just smirks.

 

“You just took over the company, dear master. Please focus on your work first.”

 

Junhwe frowns but still pushes. “You said first, so in the future we could…?”

 

“Please focus on your work.”

 

Junhwe clicks his tongue then gives up. “Fine”, he says before taking a sip from his coffee and setting his eyes back to financial spreadsheets and reports opened on his laptop. He sees Donghyuk nod at him from the corner of his eye.

 

“Besides,” Donghyuk walks towards the door. “Hanbin-hyung’s already on it.”

 

Junhwe raises an eyebrow and fully looks at his fox.

 

“Hanbin’s already on what?”

 

“On the reformation of Korea’s marriage laws. I heard they might pass it next year after he got more support from the new demi-humanitarian bills.”

 

“...Oh.”

 

Donghyuk gives him that soft, heart-stopping smile before opening the door, his tail teasingly waving as he leaves.

 

“Work hard and see you later June-ya.”

 

Click.

 

Junhwe rubs his face and leans back on his plush swivel chair. He feels an odd sense of deja vu as his cheeks warm up. Seems like his fox is still taking revenge on him.

 

He grins to himself and sits up straightly, trying to focus on work again. Later, he’ll try to see if he could set an appointment with Hanbin. He’ll offer any assistance he could so the approval of the marriage reformation bill can hurry up.

 

Fate won’t mess with him this time, he hopes. Jiyong-hyung can make sure of that from the afterlife.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0.5. When fate isn’t really messing with him from the start (and he is just being dramatic all along)

 

 

Donghyuk is nervous. It’s been years since he and Junhwe last saw each other, which was when he had his first shifting and Junhwe mistakenly gave him fever medicine. He can still remember little Junhwe’s horrified face as the animal welfare took him away. After that, he was rescued by Jiyong-hyungnim before he could be sold off to the black market, while Junhwe was forced to live in Japan with no contact from his hyung. It was a short-lived bond but still, Donghyuk reminisces his time as Junhwe’s pet “puppy” with fondness.

 

He doesn’t expect Junhwe to remember though. Jiyong-hyung had insisted that Junhwe will eventually remember but Donghyuk really doubts that. Not that it matters. He doesn’t mind having to start from scratch to regain that brief but very meaningful bond he had with his first “master”.

 

“I leave everything to you and Junhwe. I hope the two of you would be able to take care of each other.” Jiyong-hyungnim had told him 2 nights before he passed away. Donghyuk intends to do just that and more. It’s the reason for all the private lessons, for the certifications he had achieved and the discriminations he had to endure (and will still be enduring).

 

“He’s here now, Donghyuk-ssi.”

 

He nods at the attorney and goes with him to greet the new master into his inherited home. He prepares a smile, making sure the nervousness he feels isn’t obvious on his face.

 

As Junhwe goes into his view from the compound’s gate, Donghyuk sends a short prayer to the Heavens. He hopes Jiyong-hyung will be watching over them intently from now on.

 

.

.

.