Angel of Mine

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Sorry for taking so long but as promised, a YunDong update!

It's not romance though. It's a friendship one since those two are tooooo fluffy with each other and I can't seem to write them in the romantic sense. Sorry YunDong romance fans... :(... Also, this one is kind of religious-themed with a scene somewhat tackling a particularly sensitive topic nowadays. I have no intentions to offend anyone and is only using some religious doctrines for setting and story purposes. I know you guys will understand.

Anyway, please have a read! :D

 


 

Angels are portrayed as beings with white wings and a halo atop their heads. They’re usually blonde in movies and illustrations, sometimes with a glowy aura to represent their holiness or close connection to God. They are also portrayed to be wearing loose white robes that hide their bodies.

 

Well, as far as what Yunhyeong sees, the only accurate thing in those portrayals are the wings. The rest, are far from what he and the rest of the world assumes.

 

The one he’s seeing in front of him looks more like a K-Pop idol than anything else. The dude has platinum hair, tight black leather pants, and black boots. The only white thing on him is his white biker jacket that he wears over a grey shirt. The wings aren’t completely white because they look translucent instead of the opaque ones in the standard angel portrayals.

 

“Seriously? You can see me?”

 

And apparently, angels talk in the same manner like how humans do.

 

Yunhyeong rubs his eyes and closes it for a moment, wishing that the being leaning on his bookshelf is just his imagination. When he opens his eyes and sees him still there, he just sighs and admits defeat. Well, he’s always one to see supernatural things around him every once in awhile.

 

“Yeah, I can see you.”

 

 
 

---

 
 
 

Yunhyeong finds out the angel is named Donghyuk and that he is assigned to be his guardian angel after his original one, someone named Jinwoo, died from fighting a demon.

 

“Your soul is purer than average humans, so lots of demons hover around you waiting for a chance to snatch it away.” Donghyuk explains to him when he calmed down after a brief panic attack because Oh My God, he is seeing a literal angel right in front of him, as opposed to the ghost-like forms he sees sometimes. “Your pure soul might also the reason why you can see me. I guess your third eye fully opened after Jinwoo-hyung protected you.”

 

Yunhyeong doesn’t think of himself as someone who’s “pure” but to hear it from a true angel, he can’t help but feel flattered. That doesn’t mean he isn’t afraid though.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m originally from the soldier unit so I can protect you better than Jinwoo-hyung.” Donghyuk tells him with a smile that is angelic in every sense of the word.

 

“In honor of Jinwoo-hyung’s sacrifice and for the glory of God, I’ll make sure you’re safe from demons while you live your life.”

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

It's unnerving at first how he can see Donghyuk near him everywhere he goes. The angel constantly tells him not to mind him and just do his stuff, but he can’t help it. The guy is even there when he goes to the bathroom, and laughs at him when he feels so self-conscious even when Donghyuk just waits for him outside the cubicle doors.

 

Yunhyeong also noticed how whenever he does something good - like giving his extra side dishes to the old grandma beggar down the school street, or something bad - like lying to Bobby about his Math homework, Donghyuk would take out a notebook and write something on it with a pen. He asks what he writes on it and his guardian angel gives him an amused look.

 

“I’m writing down your good and bad deeds. I still have to give a report to our supervisor, you know.”

 

“Angels have supervisors?” Yunhyeong widens his eyes in interest as he completely stops reading the novel he borrowed from Hanbin. Donghyuk nods and tells him the supervisors are known as archangels by humans.

 

From there, Yunhyeong asks more questions about his kind, about heaven and hell, and even demons. Donghyuk answers each of his questions patiently, though he noticed that he won’t elaborate more than what is needed.

 

“You are a human.” Donghyuk tells him gently as if he read his mind (and maybe he did). “You aren’t even supposed to see me. Focus on your own precious life, okay?”

 

The statement sounded cold despite the kind tone his guardian angel used, but Yunhyeong can’t argue because it is true. He needs to focus more on how he lives his life because so far, he’s blank about it.

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

He grumbles as he throws himself on his bed, eyes red from preventing tears. He sniffles, wipes said impending tears on his face, then turns to look at his floating guardian angel above him.

 

“You heard?”

 

“Yes. The walls are thin in your house.”

 

“That’s not what I mean.”

 

Yunhyeong sighs and sits up right. Donghyuk gives him a 3-second stare before landing on the floor so they could be more comfortable talking.

 

“I can’t tell you what to do Yunhyeong.” the angel says before he could ask. “This is your life. All you have to do is choose whether to take over your family’s restaurant or go to America for that culinary scholarship.”

 

Yunhyeong frowns. He doesn’t like how his choices are presented like that.

 

“It’s not easy to choose, you know. I can’t understand why my parents kept on persuading me to go to the U.S. Taking over the barbeque restaurant is my responsibility and that’s what I need to do.”

 

There’s a silence as Donghyuk takes his little notebook of his and starts writing. Yunhyeong watches his cautiously, wondering if he just sinned or if he merited additional points for him in heaven.

 

“Whether it’s easy or not, you still have to decide. The rest will just follow.” the angel says, kind smile on his face again. “The question is, what are your true intentions for making the choice?”

 

Yunhyeong blinks, confused for a moment because he just said his reasons for wanting to stay. But looking into the angel’s eyes make him remember dark brown hair and an easy grin.

 

He blushes and averts his gaze away from Donghyuk.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

Donghyuk starts writing again. Yuhyeong’s sure the pen’s on the sins counter because he just lied.

 

“Hanbin’s only half the reason. I really do want to take over our restaurant.”

 

The pen stops for a moment before resuming. Donghyuk nods at him then closes the notebook.

 

“Okay. Like I said, choose the path you want and the rest will just follow.”

 

 
 

---

 
 
 

“What happened to you?!”

 

His jaw drops at the sight of gauze around Donghyuk’s forehead, around his right upper arm and on his left lower leg. The angel also has two bandages on his face.

 

“Fought out some demons last night who want your soul.” Donghyuk grins at him but it doesn't quell down the concern he has.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll be good as new after 3 human days.”

 

Yunhyeong continues to stare at him, unsure of what to say due to his shock that angels can be injured, and the inkling of the reasons behind the Donghyuk’s demon encounter. Guilt starts to build up inside him.

 

“Is.. is that the reason?” He gulps and walks closer to Donghyuk, stopping when he’s directly in front of him. “Are my feelings for Hanbin the reason why the demons are getting aggresive?”

 

Donghyuk reaches for his notebook in his inner coat, staring back at him, before letting it go with a sigh.

 

“Will telling you stop you from pursuing Kim Hanbin?”

 

“...”

 

He can’t answer that. He doesn’t want to see his ethereal friend hurt, but he also don’t think he could disregard his feelings for Hanbin. Hanbin is...Hanbin is his light, the one who can make him feel like he’s worth something.

 

He also knows his feelings are a sin. That’s why the demons are coming for his soul, because it's not as pure anymore like what Donghyuk had described him as.

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“Why are you apologizing? This is my duty!” Donghyuk chuckles. He doesn’t return the gesture, causing the angel to just smile sadly.

 

“You can’t stop yourself from loving Kim Hanbin eventhough it’s a sin right? That’s just human nature and all I can do is to watch over you. You don’t have to worry about what happens to me whenever you make your choices.”

 

He frowns at that. How could he do that after seeing him patched up as if he came from a short war? Knowing that his choices affects his guardian angel is also not going to make him nonchalant. Yet just like what said guardian angel had told him, he shouldn’t worry.

 

It’s Donghyuk’s duty, his job. But he’s also his best friend. The one to whom he tells all his problems. The person who understands.

 

“Will God punish you if I end up in the wrong path?” What is the wrong path anyways? How could something “wrong” feel so “right”?

 

“You don’t have to know that.” Donghyuk gives him that business smile - the one that warns him not to ask any further on the topic. He hesitates but speaks up again.

 

“How about me? Will He punish me for having romantic feelings for a fellow male?”

 

The angel still has that business smile but it shifts to a sadder one.

 

“Sins are called as such for a reason. But just like how God punishes, He also forgives.”

 

“Since it’s such a sin, why did He even allow me to develop these feelings?”

 

“Because taking out your free will won’t be called living. You’re here to live so do just that, Yunhyeong.”

 

He wants to ask again, about the extent of free will and other things he could only know from someone like Donghyuk. It’s like he’s finding a reason to argue, to justify what he wants and not feel guilty.

 

But Donghyuk isn’t smiling anymore - the ultimate warning. Taken aback, he watches as the angel reaches for his notebook and starts writing there. He doesn't want to think about what’s being recorded there for the Heavens to read.

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

He doesn’t talk to Donghyuk as much. He doesn’t do anything to “stop” himself from romantically loving Hanbin either.

 

He makes a decision, choosing to stay in Korea and take over his family’s restaurant. He talked out everything with his parents, about his sense of responsibility and the fact that he’s not straight. It’s the most nervous and fearful he’s been, even more terrifying than seeing the looming shadows at night, but fortunately his parents had understood him. They said he remains their son and they accept him for who he is.

 

Happy tears are rolling down his cheeks when he comes up to his room to tell Donghyuk, then he remembers their tensed conversation last time so he freezes up, suddenly unsure if he should be as happy.

 

But Donghyuk gives him that smile again, of kindness and warmth and assurance that things will be alright. His heart feels light seeing that.

 

He’s still sinning, but at least he knows he has his angel buddy by his side for more than just his duty.

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

“I’m going to confess to Hanbin.”

 

Donghyuk lightly lands on the cement after his announcement. He sighs and sits up, turning to give the angel a determined nod. His angel best friend could have chosen to stay silent and Yunhyeong wouldn’t blame him, but the ethereal being smiles and gives him the “Fighting!” gesture - probably something he picked up from the recent drama he watches. He laughs at that and returns the hand movement.

 

Bobby’s loud voice interrupts them as he, Jinhwan-hyung and Hanbin enters the rooftop with a big plastic bag of snacks and drinks. Donghyuk flies back away but Yunhyeong catches his eye one last time, mouthing “Later”. Hanbin had invited him to check out the newly opened cafe down the street so he’s going to take advantage of that. He even switched library shifts with a first year just so he wouldn’t miss his chance.

 

He notices how Donghyuk stiffens for a couple of seconds, the flapping of his wings coming into a halt, before he smiles again and further flies away.

 

He blinks at that, about to unconsciously ask what’s wrong, when Hanbin nudges him by the side.

 

“Hyung you’re staring into space. You okay?”

 

“I’m fine!” Slight panic makes his voice hitch, causing Bobby to snort and Jinhwan-hyung to raise an eyebrow. “Just remembering the webcomic update I read last night.”

 

His friends are thankfully distracted. He discreetly turns to look at his guardian angel again but Donghyuk’s already gone.

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

It was going well. He and Hanbin had a good time at the cafe; had spent almost two hours just chatting and laughing while drinking iced coffee and sharing a plate of sandwiches.

 

When they’re out of the cafe and about to go home, he asks Hanbin to go to somewhere else, somewhere they could talk privately. Hanbin obliges him so they start walking towards the nearby riverbank.

 

That’s when it happened.

 

A speeding car came out of nowhere, almost crashing into a truck that swerves to get out of the main traffic - towards to where he and Hanbin is.

 

The last thing he sees before he lost consciousness is the image of translucent feathers shimmering under the bright moon.

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

“Who are you?”

 

He asks, three days after he’s out of the hospital. A lot of people were raving about what happened. They say it’s a miracle how he and Hanbin were unscathed despite the truck really crashing on their exact spot.

 

It’s a miracle alright. He knows they were saved by Donghyuk.

 

But Donghyuk is nowhere. He searched for him until yesterday but he can't find him. Now the one in front of him, also with the translucent set of wings and the K-pop idol look, is a taller angel with black hair and a naturally set small scowl. He’s eyeing the row of manhwa he has on his bookshelf when he woke up.

 

“Junhwe’s the name.” the new angel introduces with a shrug. “Your guardian angel.”

 

He hitches his breath, shock and worry blanking out his mind for a moment.

 

“I already have a guardian angel.”

 

Junhwe gives him a cold stare before sighing heavily. He crosses his arms and steps nearer from the wall he’s leaning on.

 

“Donghyuk-ah’s out of commission after interfering with your predestined fate. You’re supposed to die that night and he’s supposed to guide your soul to heaven for judgment but instead, he went and saved you.” The angel willingly divulges as if the information is free for all to take. “Kim Hanbin should also be in a coma for 3 months but Donghyuk just has to play overachiever and saved him as well.”

 

Yunhyeong still hasn’t processed everything fully.

 

“...What…”

 

“I know right?”

 

He stares, eyes locked on the angel but seeing nothing. His mind is full of questions, of the events playing again and again in his head so he could figure out where everything went wrong. His new guardian angel’s words ring like the unwanted truth that it is, as if mocking him that the choices he made were wrong. That’s why he almost died. That’s why Donghyuk had to sacrifice himself.

 

Junhwe watches him as he tears up and sobs, the liquid falling down to his blanket.

 

“I’m frustrated too you know. Donghyuk-ah’s supposed to return to the soldier unit with me after you lived your life, but now even that privilege is taken away from him. Now he’s demoted to clipping up report files.”

 

He sobs harder, the only thing he could do at the moment. When he recovers enough, he turns to look eye-to-eye with the angel.

 

“What should I do? I’ll do anything to repay and help Donghyuk.”

 

Junhwe glares at him (an odd action by a “holy” being), then softens his gaze.

 

“Do what he always tell you to do. Live your life as you see fit, follow your dreams, be with the people you love. Whatever it is, just do that. Donghyuk would want that, I’m sure, and his rank will go up again if you die fulfilled.” The glare is back again in the angel’s eyes.

 

“Ugh, I wouldn’t even say these things if Donghyuk doesn’t care so much about you. You have to do better this time.”

 

He sniffs, wipes his tears, then nods at him. “I got it.”

 

“Good. I won’t be like Donghyuk though. I’ll protect you from demons but if the boss says it’s your time, it’s going to be for real. Understand?”

 

He nods again. He won’t have problems with that. He’ll live the best damn life he could so he could face Donghyuk with pride one day, let him and the heavens know that he’s the one who “guided” him into it.

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

The first step to get his life back on track is to continue his planned confession to Hanbin, just so he won’t have any regrets, then move on from whatever the result is.

 

He pours out his feelings, not holding anything back as he let Hanbin know exactly what he feels.

 

Turns out Hanbin doesn’t feel the same way. His dongsaeng looked heartbroken as he rejects him, explaining that he loves him as a brother and that he’s actually in love with a fellow classmate - a girl named Hayi. It’s odd how Hanbin looked more ashamed and hurt than he is.

 

It’s also odd how he feels at peace, instead of the heavily negative emotions he expected to have in the case of a rejection. He asked if they could still be friends and Hanbin had never nodded so profusely.

 

“Can you please tell Donghyuk? I want him to know.” he asks Junhwe after, when he's left alone at the school rooftop. The angel is lazily writing on his report notebook, snorting at his question.

 

“I don’t need to tell him. That guy literally grills me about you everytime I go up there.”

 

He finds himself grinning widely at that despite the damp tears on his cheeks. He doesn’t know how long it will take for him to move on from Hanbin, but this is just the start.

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

The culinary scholarship is already a no-go so instead, he puts all his effort into the development of his family’s restaurant. Be it taking a business-related course or learning his family’s recipes on the side, all his actions and choices are revolving around that goal. He also makes sure to be as kind and warm as how he’s known to be. He might not be “pure” any longer, but he could at least be a good person and stay that way.

 

Years pass by without him noticing. Suddenly, he’s in his late 20’s, preparing for the launch of his family restaurant’s 2nd branch. Suddenly, he’s at the venue of Hanbin and Hayi’s wedding, congratulating them with sincere wishes of a happy future.

 

Hanbin’s wearing the brightest smile Yunhyeong has seen him wear. He looks at Hayi like she’s the only one who makes him feel alive and Hayi does the same. The years had done Yunhyeong good, gracefully washing away lingering feelings until all he sees in Hanbin is a dear friend who deserves all the happiness in the world.

 

He hopes there’s someone in the world for him like Hayi, like how she is with Hanbin.

 

“Oops! Oh my gosh...”

 

He’s nudged a bit, the cold sensation of liquid spreading on the formal suit he’s wearing, as he turns to his left to see a woman around his age with long black hair. She’s holding a glass of wine.

 

“I’m so sorry, I wasn’t paying attention and now I ruined your suit!” The woman looks him up and down in growing panic, her free hand gesturing as if she doesn’t know whether to touch the part that was stained or not.

 

“Oh, it’s alright. I can have this dry-cleaned.”

 

“Then let me do that for you!”

 

“There’s no need.” He really doesn’t care but the woman insists. They end up exchanging numbers so he could give her his suit a day after the wedding.

 

“I’m Song Yunhyeong. You can call me Yunhyeong.” he introduces himself just as he watch her save his number. She taps his name on her phone then looks up to him with a heart-shape smile.

 

“Sorry about our awkward first meeting, Yunhyeong. I’m Kim Jisoo.”

 

It was awkward, but that doesn’t mean it has to be that way from now on. At his other side, he could see Junhwe smirking somewhat proudly at him.

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

“Do you think Donghyuk will like the gold one? Or the silver one?” He asks Junhwe as he scans pages and pages of rings from a jewelry magazine.

 

His guardian angel shrugs and proceeds to lounge lazily on his office couch.

 

“I dunno. Why do you even need his input anyway? I’m your guardian angel.”

 

He smiles teasingly. “You’re sweet Junhwe. I’m glad we’ve reached this stage in our friendship.”

 

“Whatever. I think the silver one’s better.”

 

He turns a few pages back and stares at the said silver ring. He ponders on it. It does look pretty but…

 

“Donghyuk would like the gold one better though. I just know.”

 

He looks up to see Junhwe shrugging again. He gives out another smile, this time more of delight and not amusement. He turns to the next page and nods upon seeing the gold one. His proposal won’t be perfect if he's not going to use that ring.

 

“I can’t wait to ask Jisoo next week!”

 
 
 

---

 
 
 

It took much longer before he finally sees him.

 

It’s when years passed by again. During the time when his and his family’s future is already set for life, when his two children have lives of their own, and he and Jisoo are living in a modest countryside home.

 

His grandchild by his son comes in for her summer visit, bringing bags of dolls and books. She wraps her small fingers on his pants and asks him to crouch down so she could whisper to him.

 

“I brought a friend today grandpa! He’s really nice and really pretty!”

 

He feels confused at first until Junhwe whispers to him to look at the far right side of the garden. He does, the same time his granddaughter points at the spot.

 

“Look! His name is Donghyuk! I call him Dong Dong!”

 

Yunhyeong can feel the tears on his eyes as Donghyuk waves and smiles as if he just went back from a long vacation.

 

“Can you see him grandpa? Mom and dad can’t…” his granddaughter frowns.

 

“Oh, I can see him honey.” He grins then pulls the little girl to him for a hug, as he watch Donghyuk walk towards them. “I’m so glad you have a friend like him.”

 

“Hey.” the angel greets, crouching down too and resting his chin on his hand. The smile is unbroken on his face.

 

“Hey.” Yunhyeong greets back in his mind.

 

Donghyuk laughs while Junhwe playfully rolls his eyes at them. His granddaughter pulls away to ask why he’s crying. He tells her he’s just so happy.

 

Looks like he’s doing really well with life so far. He’s fulfilled almost all his hopes and dreams with only one exception. Now, even that is already done. He finally has his best friend back. He can die any moment now.

 

He laughs heartily when both Donghyuk and Junhwe start scolding him for that last thought.

 

Life can only get better from now on.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

 

 


 
 
I find YunDong harder to write than other Donghyuk pairings so I salute the YunDong writers! *thumbs up*
 
Next one will probably be JunDong again, hahaha... or a Donghyuk x everyone one. Whatever I feel like writing. And about Poll Story 1, it's taking A LOT longer than expected. Ugh. I'm almost there though. Just a bit more... *sigh*
 
Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you'll have a good holiday season! ♥