A Dongsaeng's Worries

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Bobby released his fantastic solo album and I reallyyyyy want to post something as a celebration (even though this is super late...). This is BobDong of course. A simple and light, fluffy, read :)

I'm assuming everyone already listened to Bobby's songs by now. But if for some reason, you still haven't, exit this window right now and stream my son's songs first!

 


 

Sometimes, Donghyuk wonders what Kim Jiwon sees in him to be regarded as a constant outlet of mindless pestering. He’s been told that’s how brothers show their “deep love” but Donghyuk doesn’t buy it. Sometimes.

 

Jinhwan-hyung tried to explain it to him once. Apparently, he is too cute - to the point that every movement he makes is cute. Thus, every reaction he gives, especially when he’s annoyed in a playful context, gives the others some kind of satisfaction.

 

Donghyuk is all for fun, really, and he loves the attention. But he thinks Bobby-hyung is being too much, recently. It’s almost like borderline school yard bullying between them.

 

 

---

 

 

“You’re exaggerating.” Yunhyeong-hyung told him when they talked about it. His hyung even rolled his eyes and smacked his back as if what he said was nonsense.

 

“Schoolyard bullying? Did you not see how Bobby and those guys make fun of me? That is bullying!”

 

Okay, maybe Yunhyeong-hyung isn’t the best person to talk with in regards to that. Still, he lists off his evidences just to justify his conclusion.

 

Proof that Kim Jiwon bullies Kim Donghyuk:

 

  1. Chokes him out of nowhere
  2. Grabs his hair on stage out of nowhere
  3. Pours water on him on stage. Out of nowhere
  4. Kicks his everytime. And out of nowhere
  5. Trolls him 24/7. Again, out of nowhere

 

Yunhyeong-hyung still isn’t convinced.

 

“It’s not like you aren’t retaliating. How many times did you hit him back with a pillow or something, hmm?”

 

That’s just him standing up for himself, and Yunhyeong-hyung doesn’t seem to get his point. He sighs and leaves his hyung to organize his clothes for the umpteenth time.

 

Days after, Donghyuk is still pondering. What if, this is very unlikely, but what if Kim Jiwon actually hates him after all? That all those excursions to pizza parlors and the late-night talks about life are just out of obligation? Maybe, and still highly unlikely but still, maybe his rapper hyung just sees him as a convenient sidekick; someone to do errands and play with when boredom overcomes.

 

And he’s apparently too deep into the idea, because he just said those thoughts out loud. Junhwe gives him an unimpressed look from across the table, chopsticks staking claim on a bigger piece of mandu from the plate they’re sharing.

 

“If you’re looking for a consultation service, you should go to Jinani or Yunhyeong-hyung. I’m trying to eat in peace here.”

 

He kicks his same-aged friend’s leg from under the table. Junhwe kicks him back.

 

“Asked them both already. They don’t get it.”

 

“I don’t get it too.”

 

“Sometimes I wish I’m awkward with Bobby-hyung.” he grumbles and pouts, making sure he gets the other big mandu piece this time. “At least he’ll be nicer.”

 

Junhwe gives him a thumbs-up. “If that means you’ll replace me in the awkward concept with Bobby-hyung, then please do so.”

 

He just sticks his tongue at Junhwe, who shrugs his shoulders and steals his last mandu.

 

“Seriously though. Your relationship with Bobby-hyung should be the last thing in the world you doubt. That hyung treats you special and you’d be a big idiot to not see it.”

 

Donghyuk knows (and having it spelt by Koo freaking Junhwe makes him really feel like a big idiot). He should end the internal questions too, but no. He still thinks Bobby’s going too far with the “brotherly love” bullying.

 

 

---

 

 

“Do you ever feel offended or hurt when Bobby-hyung rejects your skinship? Or call you names?”

 

Donghyuk knows asking Kim Hanbin about his musings also isn’t the best idea, but iKON’s leader has the most similar situation with him, okay? Chanwoo snorts behind his lyric sheet but Donghyuk ignores the maknae for now.

 

Hanbin blurts out a quick “What are you talking about?” without even looking at him, as if the question itself is nonsense. Then there’s a short pregnant pause before the leader swivels his chair from facing the studio computer to give him a half-curious, half-concerned look.

 

“Wait. Are you and Kimbab fighting? Is there something going on? Why is no one telling me things?”

 

Chanwoo snorts again. “If you just get out of this cave once in a while, you would know hyung.”

 

“Yah! This cave is where our songs are born! Don’t disrespect this place!”

 

“I think you just missed the point.” Chanwoo gives Donghyuk a brief glance. “And no, Bobby-hyung and Donghyukie aren’t fighting or anything. Right?”

 

Donghyuk sighs. If he isn’t torturing himself with the questions, he would have joined Chanwoo in dissing Hanbin. “Yeah. We’re good. I think.”

 

“You think?” Hanbin narrows his eyes at him then thinks for a moment.

 

“Regarding your question, no I don’t get offended or hurt. I know Kimbab doesn’t really have a problem with my skinship. I’m actually quite envious of you since he lets you annoy him and he plays with you more.”

 

Donghyuk winces a bit then smiles. This is why asking Hanbin is not the best idea. “Okay, then.”

 

The other two looked at him as if they immediately saw through him. He gulps and thinks of something to change the topic, but Chanwoo intercepts him.

 

“I’m not envious of how Bobby-hyung pesters you though. I mean, those kicks on the and stuff? I’m good without those. But if you think he’s going too far, then you should talk to him about it.”

 

Hanbin gives their maknae an impressed glance before giving Donghyuk a nod. “I honestly don’t see a problem with how Bobby-hyung treats you. Kimbab loves you alright? I think he even loves you more than he loves me.”

 

“That’s an exaggeration.”

 

“He’s just sick of you, Hanbin-hyung.” Chanwoo adds. Donghyuk prevents a smirk from escaping his lips.

 

“Anyway! Your feelings are more important so talk to him! The same goes with us. We all love you but if you’re not comfortable with how we treat you any longer, then tells us right away!” Hanbin points a finger at him. “Understand? We’re a team here.”

 

Seems like asking Hanbin-hyung (and Chanwoo) is the best idea after all. He knows what he needs to do already; just needing confirmation from somebody else to eliminate self-doubts.

 

“Thank you hyung, Chanu.” he chuckles and smiles genuinely. “I feel like a song is going to come out of this.”

 

“No doubt about that. Look.” Chanu snickers and gestures to their leader, who’s already back in work mode, hand busy writing lyrics on his notebook.

 

 

---

 

 

It all comes down a few days after that, when he has free time and Bobby is coincidentally at one of the free studios to work on his solo album. Donghyuk comes in with drinks and snacks since Bobby will definitely send him to buy some anyway.

 

He’s going to say something along the lines of, “I hope you cut back on the physical show of brotherly love because I’m starting to think you actually hate me instead.” But before he could even find the right timing to say those lines, Bobby surprises him enough to forget.

 

“What?”

 

“I said, do you want to record the vocal parts in this song? I think your voice really suits the vibe.”

 

His rapper hyung is showing him the lyric sheet, a wide and excited grin on his face. Donghyuk blinks, glances at the lyric sheet, then sets his eyes on Bobby again.

 

“Do you mean… like a featuring?”

 

“Yeah! Of course the initial recording will be as a guide track, but I’m positive you’ll end up being a legit featuring. Scratch that, I’ll make sure they won’t take you out.” Bobby pushes the lyric sheet to him. “Actually, I think you’ll be able to think of something better for some of the lyrics too. If you have any ideas, go ahead and change the lyrics up.”

 

Really, what?

 

Donghyuk looks at the paper, speechless. It’s not even about the fact that he’s being given a chance to work on his hyung’s solo album. It’s the fact that Kim Jiwon so casually and easily offered him the chance, as if he trusts him that much. Not even Jinan-hyung who has a similar and more trained voice. Or Yunhyeong-hyung who's always stable. Chanwoo, who continues to improve. Koo Junhwe who’s their main vocal and should be one of the most obvious choice. Hanbin-hyung, who can sing decently and would definitely bring more interest for the song.

 

No, Bobby-hyung wants him to sing on his song. Trusts him enough to even let him change the lyrics.

 

Without meaning to, Donghyuk’s (unnecessary, he admits now) worries are instantly cancelled. He almost lost sight of the most important thing.

 

“I…” he gulps and lets himself grin widely as well. “I’d be happy to, hyung. Thank you.” He does a heart over his head. “I love you, hyung.”

 

His hyung grins again, brings a hand to affectionately pinch his cheek, then roughly slaps the same hand on his back. “Now go and record this draft! I can’t wait to let sajang-nim hear!”

 

 

---

 

 

“Can Donghyuk keep that secret~~”

 

Donghyuk sighs in exasperation, lowering his head a bit as Jinhwan-hyung and Junhwe tag-team to about track no. 6, Secret. Yunhyeong-hyung’s too eager to join since he’s not the target for once, while Chanwoo watches them in great amusement.

 

“NoDonghyuk gotta know~”

 

“NoDonghyuk gotta know no no~”

 

He sighs again and places his two hands on his face. “Ugh. Stop it guys! Seriously!”

 

He hears loud laughter, then feels the space beside him dipping as someone sits.

 

“Yah! Stop teasing Donggu. Those are the focal points of the song and he wrote those lyrics.”

 

Donghyuk takes out his hands to see the rapper pouting at the other members, an arm slung around his shoulders.

 

“We know.” Yunhyeong exchanges a grin with the other guys. “That’s why we’re teasing him.”

 

“Just admit you guys are jealous.”

 

“We’re not!”

 

“Puh-lease. I don’t need to be a featuring.”

 

“Yet you said you could have sang some of Tendae.”

 

“And you said you wanted to harmonize with Bobby-hyung for In Love.”

 

“So except for me, everyone’s actually jealous.”

 

“We’re not!!”

 

As the other members argue, Donghyuk laughs and shakes his head. He catches Hanbin-hyung’s gaze at him, a question in his eyes. Donghyuk knows his other rapper hyung is asking him if he already settled things with Bobby, so he shrugs and gives the leader an assuring smile.

 

Then Bobby hits the back of his head with a fist, a playful glint in his eyes as he tells him not to be so amused. After all, sajangnim did make him record his featured parts again and again.

 

He could have frowned and complained for the hit, but Donghyuk sticks out his tongue and elbows his hyung instead. Why would he anyway? There’s no problem in the first place.

 

Bobby huffs then tackles him to the couch. Soon, Yunhyeong-hyung joins. Jinhwan-hyung is pulled by Chanwoo to do the same, while Junhwe loses interest and chooses to tinker on his phone.

 

“Ah, all is well.” Hanbin-hyung enigmatically remarks, a peaceful expression on his face even after Bobby-hyung throws a pillow straight to his head.

 

Yep. All is well, indeed; Donghyuk internally agrees as he laughs again.


.

.

.

 


 

I'm so very proud of Bobby and won't probably be over his album anytime soon. And Donghyuk's voice in Secret. (Guys. The way he says "chocolate". How smoothly his voice glides, complements Katie's...)

*replays Love and Fall for the 1866437 time*