Cherished: 2017

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

 

My contribution for Donghyuk's 20th birthday! Happy birthday to the one I dedicate this whole fic series for. I hope our Donghyuk can continue to be as loving and warm as he always is, to never forget his origins, and to walk hand in hand with his brothers as they fulfill their dreams. Lots of love to Donghyuk! ♥♥♥

 

And so, I present these ficlets based on "moments" each iKON member has with Donghyuk. Whether it's a fancam scene, an interview line, or something talked about in a V-App broadcast, each one should display how Donghyuk is loved one way or another! ♥

 

 


 

 

 

1. Chanwoo: Guardian

 

There’s something about Donghyuk that makes Chanwoo feel protective. The 1 year between them even feels almost insignificant because of those protective instincts. He figures it has something to do with his “hyung”’s naturally cute nature but there’s just something else.

 

 

The audience continues to scream for them and his group is busy playing around on stage for everyone’s amusement. Despite the fun and loud music, he still manages to see Donghyuk in his peripheral vision, eyes focused to see what his hyung’s up to.

 

 

Donghyuk is happily waving his hands to fans situated nearest to the stage. He makes his way to him, a smile on its way to his lips, until he sees that Donghyuk is at the edge and is about to step down on the lower platform.

 

 

Aside from the fact that they’re not allowed to step down on it, he’s more concerned that Donghyuk is not paying attention to where he’s going. He quickly strides in and grabs the older male’s arm just in time to stop him, and Donghyuk turns around to give him a confused look.

 

 

“Chanu-ya?”

 

 

“We can’t go down there.” he says as he leads Donghyuk away. Some of the fans in front seemed disappointed so he throws an apologetic smile.

 

 

“And you almost stepped on the edge. What if you tripped?”

 

 

Donghyuk stares up at him as if his words are unexpected, then he grins widely.

 

 

“I didn’t notice but wow, you’re just in time to save me huh?”

 

 

Chanwoo almost blurted “of course” but because he somewhat feels embarrassed, he stopped himself just in time.

 

 

“It’s the maknae’s job to look after his hyungs.” he says instead.

 

 

The grin on Donghyuk’s face widens. Chanwoo grins back and leads the older male towards a safer part of the stage, their hands entwined.

 

 

“Thanks Chanu-ya. You’re always looking out for me. I’ll be the one to look after you next time.”

 

 

This time, Chanwoo doesn’t hesitate. “Why are you promising something you’re already doing on a daily basis?”

 

 

Donghyuk laughs and tells him to stop exaggerating but the maknae meant it. From the day he came in as a contender in Mix and Match, to the present where they’re fulfilling their dreams, and even right this second with his hyung’s words being a source of comfort, Donghyuk is always looking after him.

 

 

Maybe that’s why Chanwoo is especially protective of Donghyuk.

 

 

“Look! Bobby-hyung’s walking down the aisles! Let’s go there too!”

 

 

His hyung grabs his arm and points to where his other hyung’s interacting with the fans. He can make out the annoyed expression of the security staff, which means Bobby’s stunt is an impromptu one. He ought to stop Donghyuk from doing the same thing but the grip on his arm is tight and the excited expression on his face is contagious.

 

 

Oh well. He’ll be right behind Donghyuk anyway, making sure he’s safe and happy.

 

 

.

 

.

 

.




 

2. Junhwe: Harmony

 

Junhwe’s about to let himself collapse on the dressing room couch when Donghyuk wraps a hand around his upper arm to get his attention. He groans a bit.

 

 

“What?”

 

 

Donghyuk has a small pout on his lips and his eyebrows are kind of furrowed, causing all the annoyance he feels to disappear. Ok, did he do something bad or…?

 

 

“I want to ask you something.”

 

 

“Okay?”

 

 

“Why do you keep joining in my lines for Just Go and Airplane?”

 

 

Junhwe blinks, confusion blanking any immediate response because of all the things, Donghyuk just has to ask something like that.

 

 

Then the confusion melts off for realization because what? Is he really often joining in during his chingu’s lines? (If he can call those lines… He’s nearing the point of seriously discussing with Hanbin about it because honestly.)

 

 

Donghyuk sighs then lets go of his arms. “You don’t realize doing it huh? Look, I know I’m not always stable and I appreciate you trying to guide me but once is enough and I--"

 

 

“Wait, no. It’s not that. You’re doing good.”

 

 

The other male raises one eyebrow at him. “Then why?”

 

 

Why? Junhwe asks himself that and the reason causes him to feel warmth on his cheeks. He’s not going to tell Donghyuk.

 

 

“...Because I like your lines.”

 

 

He stares cautiously at the other, watching his eyebrows go up and down and his pout deepen then loosen before he settles to a sigh. He looks a bit sad now and Junhwe is about to start panicking. Is his answer wrong?

 

 

“Okay, but. You know…” That trail-off hastens the panic because he freaking doesn’t know.

 

 

“Those Ooh Oooh’s and Ladila’s are my only lines in those songs and I wish I could sing them solo in our concerts…”

 

 

Ah.

 

 

“But I’m not angry at you or anything!” Donghyuk’s hand latches around his arm again. “It’s just a selfish wish and you’re always joining in so…”

 

 

Junhwe takes a moment and sighs too. He has no choice now. He needs to tell him the real reason.

 

 

“It’s not selfish. You’re right, they’re your lines and I should have thought more about singing along.”

 

 

Donghyuk’s eyes narrow in guilt so he blurts out the rest of his speech.

 

 

“I just like the harmony our voices produce when we sing together so I find myself almost always singing with you.” He gulps and screams at himself not to blush so much. “Sorry.”

 

 

He shifts his gaze away a few times, the blush deepening more when he notices their maknae smirking at him. His lips twitches to a cringe so he turns his eyes back to Donghyuk - who’s now smiling widely at him. The pink on his friend’s cheeks just makes Junhwe feel warmer on his face.

 

 

“Oh. Okay.” There’s a moment of silence until Donghyuk speaks again. “It’s fine then.”

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“It’s fine, you singing along. I like our voices’ harmony too.”

 

 

“Cool.” Junhwe can feel his mouth forming to a grin but he suppresses it. Just a bit. So he won’t look so ecstatic.

 

 

“So, are you two done with your lover’s quarrel?” Jinhwan-hyung suddenly cuts in with the rest of the team who’s either smirking or muffling laughters (Bobby-hyung and Hanbin aka Dumb and Dumber).

 

 

“We’re not having a lover’s quarrel!” he and Donghyuk bark back at the same time which only causes the rest to laugh out loud.

 

 

“Sure. Can you both change clothes now? We really want to get to our hotel asap.”

 

 

Hanbin snickers amusedly as he claps both hands on his and Donghyuk’s backs. Junhwe groans in annoyance then glances to his side to check on his fellow 97-liner. Donghyuk looks quite annoyed as well but when he meets his eyes, he gives him a small but happy grin.

 

 

Ah, whatever. He grins back. This time, not suppressing anything and only for Donghyuk to see.

 

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

3. Hanbin: Fishing

 

Hanbin’s starting to regret choosing this tour plan. He should have known better and chose the one he’s sure to have fun and not feel like he’s failed half of his life’s struggles. Really, what possessed him to think fishing would be easy and enjoyable?

 

 

“Don’t sulk so much hyung.” Donghyuk tells him with a small laugh. His stance at the edge of the boat is confident as he holds his fishing rod. “Not all people can fish anyway. I just got lucky I got the hang of it quickly.”

 

 

If his dongsaeng’s trying to cheer him up, it’s not working. Hanbin is still envious and bitter so when Donghyuk offers to teach him, he declines without a second thought. He’ll just stay at the corner and plan ways to slap fishes when they snorkel later.

 

 

That planning is quickly forgotten when his phone alerts him of chat messages from the other iKON members. He sees selfies of Jinhwan-hyung with Chanwoo boasting of jetski rides, while the Risotto team has tons of chat lines talking about the water rides and their games. He badly wants to boast as well but how could he when he can’t even fish?

 

 

His thoughts are interrupted when someone places a bucket with lots of still moving fishes in front of where he’s sitting. He grimaces then looks up to see “Fishboy” grinning at him proudly. What, is he showing off?

 

 

A camera man calls Donghyuk to pose near the boat’s edge so Hanbin isn’t able to ask his dongsaeng’s intentions. Instead, one of their managers plops himself beside him and says it.

 

 

“Donghyukie’s daebak. He caught all of that.”

 

 

“...Great.”

 

 

“He caught all of that for you.” the manager semi-laughs at him. “He said since his hyung can’t fish, he’ll just have to catch many so you can enjoy eating them as much as you want later.”

 

 

Then the manager stands up as if his mission is done. Hanbin blinks several times at the fishes before a sense of giddiness and fluffiness overwhelms whatever negative things he’s still feeling. He whips out his phone again and takes a couple of shots of the fish bucket before enthusiastically sending them to the group chat.

 

 

“My Dong Dong caught ALL of that for ME!” he types in while giggling at himself. “Love Love Date is the BEST!”

 

 

He smirks when the hyungs are suddenly complaining of his blatant boasting of having Donghyuk with him. He doesn’t care. He stands up and approaches his dongsaeng, asking him for a selfie and posing with as much affection as possible.

 

 

“What are you doing hyung?” Donghyuk peers in curiously as he sends the selfie to the group chat in lightning speed.

 

 

“Need to show off our brotherly love.” he wraps an arm around the other’s shoulder. “Thanks for fishing all of that for me Donghyuk-ah!”

 

 

“No problem hyung. So you’re not sulking now?”

 

 

“Nope! Let’s go back quickly and eat those fish! It’ll be my revenge!”

 

 

They both laugh and he squeezes his dongsaeng closer. Donghyuk is called to try to fish one last time so he checks the group chat.

 

 

“So unfair!”

 

 

“Stop using my Donggu!”

 

 

“That pic is too lovey dovey!”

 

 

Hanbin closes the chat with a self-satisfied smile. He made the right tour plan choice. Why was he regretting it again?

 

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

4. Bobby: Hawaii

 

Bobby almost jumps out of the car and rushes into the YG training center, hurriedly greeting young trainees along the way. He bursts into his team’s practice room and glances quickly among his brothers. He grins when he sees the person he’s looking for.

 

 

“Donghyuk-ah!” he marches towards the other and places both hands on his shoulders. “You’re going to Hawaii with me!”

 

 

Immediately, the others react. All of them are demanding what he meant by his words so he explains what went down in his meeting with a variety show staff; about going to an overseas trip just like in his stint with his dad but this time, he’s to bring another iKON member. Sajangnim apparently agreed with it.

 

 

“And you want me to go with you?” Donghyuk blinks then stares at him confusedly. “Why me?”

 

 

The others repeat the question. Hanbin looks shocked their main rapper went straight to Donghyuk but for Bobby, it’s an obvious choice.

 

 

“Because it’s you!” he claps his hands on his dongsaeng’s shoulders again as if to point out an emphasis.

 

 

Donghyuk blushes (so cute, he inwardly notes) but the others just won’t let him live. Yunhyeong and Chanwoo both claim he’s deceiving Donghyuk like what he did in their Kony’s Island shoot.

 

 

“Ya! You want Donghyukie because he’s good in english and he does everything you tell him to do! Why are you composing your words like that?”

 

 

“Jiwon-ah…” Jinhwan clicks his tongue then shakes his head. “Don’t mislead our Dongdong. Be honest with your true reasons.”

 

 

The rapper hangs his mouth a little in disbelief. Can’t his reason really be just Donghyuk himself?

 

 

He looks down and sees that the blush is gone from Donghyuk’s face and instead, a suspecting stare is being thrown at him. He’s about to feel disappointed when the other suddenly sighs and shrugs.

 

 

“I’ll still go with you hyung, regardless of your reasons.” he smiles all warm and pretty and this time, it’s Jiwon’s turn to blush. “Let’s have fun in Hawaii!”

 

 

Hanbin and Junhwe complain about Donghyuk’s “self sacrifice” with a dramatic flair that makes him want to smack the two. He’ll do that later because hugging Donghyuk out of appreciation is more important.

 

 

“We’ll definitely have fun in Hawaii! Let’s leave these fools’ mouths watering in jealousy!”

 

 

The others complain again but he and Donghyuk just laugh.

 

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

5. Yunhyeong: Risotto

 

“Now tell me the truth. Does it really taste good?”

 

 

Yunhyeong points with his spoon on the product of his 1st cooking show V-App. The live just ended so he needs his taste-tester to be honest now.

 

 

Donghyuk swallows the food then chuckles at him.

 

 

“Hyung I already told you, it tastes good.”

 

 

“But you said it in front of the camera!”

 

 

“So? I still said the truth!”

 

 

The younger chuckles again and gulps down half of his honey lemon juice. Yunhyeong sighs then takes another spoonful of the risotto.

 

 

“Well, why am I even doubting you when you’re stuffing your face with it much more now?”

 

 

“Exactly. Have more confidence!”

 

 

He shrugs and bites into his spoonful, his eyes wandering back to Donghyuk who’s eating his cooked food as if it’s the best meal he had in weeks. The image comforts any lingering doubts he has with his cooking skills.

 

 

“Ahh.” he smiles. “I wish my future girlfriend will be as happy as you when she eats my risotto.”

 

 

Donghyuk stops momentarily to gulp down the food again before playfully rolling his eyes.

 

 

“Of course she will since our Song chef makes really good food. But if for some odd reason she doesn’t like it, I’ll come to eat and show her how much she’s losing out.”

 

 

The younger pauses again to give him an amusingly serious look. “I’ll have the biggest grin while munching on your food and she’ll instantly regret.”

 

 

Yunhyeong snorts then laughs. What a ridiculous idea! Playing the scenario in his mind just makes it funnier.

 

 

But it doesn’t mean he dislikes it. He actually finds the image heartwearming and God forbid it actually happens. His future girlfriend will be losing out on more than just his food.

 

 

He maintains a smile after laughing as he watches Donghyuk again. He hopes his dongsaeng can find someone who could make him happy with her cooking, just as much as he’s happy with his.

 

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

6. Jinhwan: Worry

 

“Get dressed, we’re going out.”

 

 

Jinhwan just gives Donghyuk a firm nod when said person blinks at him, all confused, after he said that line the moment he barged into his room.

 

 

“Where are we going hyung?”

 

 

“You’ll find out soon. Just be ready in five minutes.” Jinhwan closes the door before Donghyuk can open his mouth for another question.

 

 

Exactly 6 minutes and 29 seconds later, the two members of iKON are out in the cold afternoon streets of their neighborhood. Donghyuk is following him faithfully but Jinhwan can feel the younger’s suspecting gaze on the back of his head. When they stopped at a stoplight, he started talking again.

 

 

“Ok, which do you prefer right now? Korean? Chinese? Western? Italian?”

 

 

“...what?”

 

 

“Food, Donghyukie. I’ll treat you to anything you want.”

 

 

He turns to face the taller male. Donghyuk has a surprised expression but it quickly melts off just as his eyes narrow and his lips form into a thin line. Jinhwan barely utters a word before Donghyuk steps back, a hurt expression on his face.

 

 

“Hyung, are you making fun of me?”

 

 

“No.” his tone mirrors his disbelief. “Why would I even think of doing that?”

 

 

“Right. You know I’m on a diet so why did you drag me to eat out?”

 

 

The stoplight turns green and the few people with them starts crossing the street. But the two of them stay on the spot with the tension keeping them there.

 

 

Jinhwan sighs heavily. He reaches to hold his dongsaeng’s arm to lead him out of the pedestrian crossing. Donghyuk reluctantly follows him.

 

 

“Let’s just go back hyung.”

 

 

“No.” this time his tone is soft. “Please, just do this for me. You don’t need to eat a lot, I just…”

 

 

He pauses again, afraid that a wrong choice of words might give a negative effect on his dongsaeng.

 

 

He lets his hand slide down until he reaches Donghyuk’s hand. He holds it tightly in his.

 

 

“Hyung is worried about you. I respect your resolve but at the same time, I worry about how far you’ll go.” he squeezes Donghyuk’s hand.

 

 

“You know we love you right?”

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

“And you know that we trust you?”

 

 

Donghyuk squeezes his hand back.

 

 

“Yes hyung.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

Jinhwan takes a moment to sigh again and convince himself to just go back since it’s what Donghyuk wants. What right does he have anyway? He doesn't own Donghyuk and his body and health. As long as Donghyuk understands the group's concern and the limits he needs to put on himself, it should be fine.

 

 

But then, his dongsaeng adjusts their hands so he’s the one holding his and starts leading him back to the stoplight intersection.

 

 

“I’m actually craving for some samgyupsal. As long as I skip the rice and other side dishes, it should be fine.”

 

 

Jinhwan stares at the warm smile the younger's giving him. He sighs when he realizes Donghyuk is indulging him so he asks if it's really alright. Donghyuk nods firmly so he grins and lets go of their hands to wrap his arm around his dongsaeng’s.

 

 

“Ok, leave everything to your hyung! I’ll buy you the best meat we could find here!”

 

 

Donghyuk laughs then happily cheers him for his enthusiasm. When they’re finally crossing the street, he hears his dongsaeng whisper a soft “thank you”.

 

 

“For worrying about me, I’m really touched and grateful.”

 

 

“Good. I expect a smiling Kim Donghyuk eating happily okay?”

 

 

Donghyuk grins again and says “Saranghae” in an aegyo voice. Jinhwan usually cringes playfully as a response but he’s too relieved to do that. Instead, he affectionately pinches his dongsaeng’s cheek and smiles.

 

 

“I love you too.”

 

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

7. Everyone: Existence

 

 

He neatly folds the hospital-issued blanket on the bed when the door bursts open to reveal the other 6 members of his beloved group. He stands frozen, surprised, as Yunhyeong-hyung and Bobby-hyung jumped on him for a hug.

 

“Donghyuk!”

 

He wraps both arms around his two hyungs before asking them to let go for a while. Why are they there? He’s supposed to meet them at the training center.

 

“We’re here because we missed you so much!”

 

“Hanbin and Jinan-hyung kept pestering the managers to let us fetch you from here.”

 

“More like they’re whining like kids having their tantrums.” Chanwoo adds in sneakily but the two hyungs don’t care.

 

“Ah, our V-App last night's terrible without you.” Hanbin dramatically says as he inserts himself between him and Bobby to wrap his arm around his shoulder. “Don’t get sick again Donghyukie. I beg of you. Everyone's so worried.”

 

Jinhwan nods and closes on him to place both hands on his cheeks. “Seriously, the emptiness I felt is no joke. And you got thinner again! Hyung will take care of you.”

 

“Wait, this is so weird.” He steps back because he’s honestly getting overwhelmed. He laughs lightly to shake off the feeling. “Stop being dramatic everyone.”

 

“We’re not.” Junhwe cuts in. “We’re a mess without you. It’s the plain truth.”

 

Chanwoo nods in agreement then smirks. “You don’t get to say that when you’re not even sure you have Donghyukie’s number.”

 

“T-That’s already cancelled out since I actually saved his number twice! You guys don’t get that privilege.”

 

“He’s been using that reasoning at the dorm since last night. Ignore him Donghyukie.”

 

Jinhwan-hyung pats his cheeks again as the others start bantering about their lameness in last night’s V-App broadcast, and the “mess” they experienced during the days he’s confined in the hospital. He watches them all silently.

 

“Wait, why are you tearing up?” The mat-hyung worriedly asks, effectively stopping all banters and causing everyone to suddenly crowd on him. “Are you still feeling sick? Tell us the truth!”

 

“No, I’m already fine. I’m just…” he sniffs then grins. “I’m just touched. I’m okay now, I promise!”

 

Everyone stares at him, a light tension in the air reigning in the few seconds of silence, until each one is moving so they’re all in a big group hug. It’s like a deja vu of the one they had when he read his letter at their Japan concert. The feeling is just as comforting.

 

No words are exchanged during the embrace and after it. Each one of them is smiling at him and when his mom comes in to announce that the check-out’s done, Hanbin holds his hand and leads him out of the room with the rest in tow.

 

“Let’s go home.”

 

Donghyuk never felt so happy going back with his sworn brothers.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Notes in case you have no idea what "moment" I used:

 

Chanwoo: I watched this fancam of Chanwoo pulling Donghyuk up when he's at the very edge of the stage. I think it's at the Indonesia / Malaysia concert? Not sure. *sweatdrops* But since then, I noticed some more similar moments. e.g. the 300th day V-App where Jinan accidentally threw the paper cup on Dong's face. Chanwoo's almost instantly on his side. I think it's cute how Chanwoo has moments when he acts like some sort of "guardian" to Donghyuk - who's older than him. :)

 
Junhwe: This is based on their 2nd Japan arena tour. I noticed Junhwe's almost always singing along Donghyuk's lines not only in Just Go, but also in Airplane as well. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves the sound they produce when they sing together. Teehee.
 
Hanbin: This is so obvious but yeah. Hanbin sulking due to his fishing failure is hilarious. Insert a caring and thoughtful Donghyuk in there and it'll be a cute fluff piece!
 
Bobby: Jiwon answered in a magazine interview (not sure which but I'm positive it happened ok? XD) that he'll bring Donghyuk with him to Hawaii if he's given a chance to go on a trip without any camera crew coming along. I just made a twist to it to give you guys BobDong. :)
 
Yunhyeong: Yun's 1st Cooking V-App remains one of the fluffiest I've seen between him and Donghyuk.♥
 
Jinhwan: Of course, his is based on the 2nd KJH V-App. I love how he's vocal about his concern for Donghyuk's dieting. Not to say that the others are not concerned just bec. they weren't vocal about it, but hearing another member talk about it makes me relieved in many ways. :)
 
Everyone: 2016 Christmas V-App. iKON without Dong is so hilariously awkward but also so fluffy with them missing Donghyuk so much. Their bromance is so real I just... *cries*
 
 
 
That's all everyone! Happy birthday again to Donghyuk! I hope everyone had good Christmas and New Year celebrations! ♥