Ch. 16

Red

Shaye came back from an early morning run only to be distracted by an unfamiliar energy before she could even think of going upstairs. She followed the feeling to her brothers’ work room in the basement. No one was in the room but the portal was on and open. “Secure my ” she muttered. “I’m gonna kill them.” She immediately went to work to shut it down when she was pulled through the portal.

 The portal closed the moment they emerged through the other end. “Thank gods you’re alright.” She was pulled into a tight embrace.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Something was off but she knew the voice or at least she thought she did. “What’s going on Tao? Where are we?”

He pulled back and held her at arm’s length. “Who’s Tao… Jae what have they done to you?”

It didn’t take long for Shaye to realize that her aunt had taken another and this brother thought he had successfully rescued his sister. Or at least she hopes they’re sibling in this dimension otherwise it’d be really weird. She sighed “Tao is my older brother and I’m Shaye. Who are you and who is Jae?”

He dropped her shoulders a crestfallen look on his face “Stop joking.”

Shaye crossed her arms “Do I look like I’m joking? Where are we anyways?” She glanced around briefly taking in their surroundings “I told my brothers they were stupid for building that doorway. At least I know it works now.”

“You really aren’t my sister are you?”

“No , that’s what I’ve been trying to tell you” She flashed her kitsune eyes at him.

“Damnit” he punched a wall.

“Look, is there somewhere secure that we can talk? It’s a bit complicated but we might be able to get her back alive if she is where I think she is and stop my step aunt.”

“You really think she’s still alive?”

Shaye nodded “This might sound weird but I haven’t felt any death blows of my other selves from other dimensions lately and I’m assuming you’re of supernatural descent at least that’s what I’m sensing.”

He nodded.

“Plus she’s you sister-”

“Not just that- she’s my twin.”

Shaye’s eyes widened “I’m sure you’d have felt something if she wasn’t still alive.”

“You said your name was Shaye?” She nodded and he stuck out his hand which she took “I’m Mason and I think we have some work to do. Let me introduce you to the pack. Also I should warn you that Jace has a mate and I’m not sure how she’ll react to you.”

“Jace? She?” she asked as they walked down the street.

“Sorry. Jae is Jace’s nickname and her mate Blake is female.”

Shaye nodded “Right on.”

“So tell me about Tao…”

---

“Has anyone seen Shaye?” Kai asked around after finding her headphones in the workspace.

Yoongi looked up from what he was reading a slight frown on his face “She left a note saying she was going out for a run and that she’d be back by 10am.”

“Well its noon and-” Kai stared at the bundle of cord in his hand. He swore under his breath and motioned for Yoongi and Namjoon to follow him. “Chen, Maru! Can I see you downstairs please?”

“What’s the matter?”

“Shaye’s missing.”

“She’s only a couple hours late.”

Kai pinned Namjoon with a look. “My sister is never late.”

Yoongi nodded in agreement.

“I came down here earlier because I had a notification that the portal had been active, which it shouldn’t have been.” He went into the log and ran a hand through his hair in frustration. “This is why we need cameras down here.” He pointed to the screen and Chen looked over his shoulder. “One bio reading came through and two left.”

“.”

“She is going to kill us when she gets back.”

Yoongi shoved his hands in his pockets “Can you tell where they went?”

Chen shook his head “It doesn’t say, which means she’s not in this dimension anymore.”

“Didn’t you build this specifically for traveling here, alone?”

“Yes but-” Kai stared at Maru who raised his hands in defense.

“I put those schematics in purely for future use. I didn’t think it would cause a problem.”

Namjoon placed a hand on his shoulder causing him to jump a bit. “Lucky for you there didn’t seem to be a struggle which means she went somewhat willingly.”

“He’s right,” Yoongi added “She’s smart, she’ll figure out a way to get a hold of us even if it’s cross dimensional communication. We’ll just have to wait. And in the mean time we’ll keep an eye on that aunt of hers.”

“Sounds good. We’ll head up later. We’re going to modify the security on this thing.” Chen motioned them to head upstairs.

---

Shaye glanced at Mason as they walked along “Any idea on how time moves differently between here and there?”

Mason shook his head “Unfortunately that’s not something we know about your dimension yet. I just hope that it’s not that big of a difference.”

“You and me both. So what’s the plan when we get to your home or hangout?”

“Introductions and then sleep. I figure you’d like to get a hold of someone from home?”

Shaye nodded.

“We can work on that tomorrow. And head back to your dimension with help as soon as we can.”

Shaye froze in her spot “You’ll help us?”

Mason nodded “I figure since you’re going to help get my twin back I don’t see why we can’t stick around and help you take out your aunt. Besides in a dimensional sense we’re basically family.”

“Which is still a weird concept” Shaye muttered causing Mason to laugh.

“Like I was saying family sticks together.”

Shaye nodded “Sounds like a plan.”

“Well this is us” he held a door open for her.

“Mason’s back!”

“You did it. I thought we lost you” suddenly there was a pair of lips on hers.

“Blake, she’s not-”

Blake stepped back with a sorrowful look in her eyes “Please excuse me, I thought…” She ran off to their room.

Shaye tugged on Mason’s sleeve “Are we really that similar? That was her mate right, shouldn’t she have been able to sense that I’m not Jae before she got close enough to kiss me?”

He leaned closer to her and spoke softly “Your auras are very similar. However yours keeps shifting slightly. And your scents are almost identical.” They entered the main living space and Shaye froze she had expected Mason’s pack to have some doppels of her brothers’ pack. She just wasn’t prepared to actually see them.

“What happened Mason and why is she crying?”

“There was a mix up. This is Shaye and why are you crying?” Mason turned toward her.

She just stared at the guys seated in front of her. “More doubles?” She nodded. “Another brother?” She nodded again. “Who?”

She pointed at a boy with silver hair.

“Kasper?” The boy in question waved and she nodded once again.

“If that’s his name here.”

Kapser walked over to them “So I’m your brother where you’re from?”

“Yup.” She looked between Kapser and Mason “You’re not related here are you?” They shook their heads. “This will never, not be weird” She muttered.

Kasper ruffled her hair “What’s his name?”

“Jongin but we call him Kai. The three of us and one other share a dad, we all have different moms expect for Kai and Chen.”

Kasper pointed at Mason “This kid is a double of one of your brothers as well?”

Shaye nodded “My brother Tao.”

“That’s weird on all levels” he scratched the back of his neck before pulling her arm “So do you recognize any of them?”

“Nearly everyone.”

“Ezra is one of our Alphas, the other one is out on patrol at the moment.”

The one who looked like Kris dipped his head in greeting. “It’s nice to meet you little Alpha. I apologize for the mix up and I hope we can be of help to each other.”

“No disrespect sir but I know quite a few Alphas and I’m not one of them.”

Ezra tilted his head “Then what would you say you are?”

“Well for starters I’m not even a wolf. I’m half human, half kitsune and a hacker.”

“That would certainly explain the shifting aura. You have trickster blood.”

“You have kitsunes here?”

Ezra nodded “Yes but we call them tricksters and sly ones here.”

“When we’re all done with everything and Jae is back safe, would it be alright if I came back to visit?”

“Whatever you like, little Alpha” Ezra ruffled her hair. “Let’s all turn in for the night so we can get an early start. Mason will show you to the guest room.”

Ezra left the room and Shaye felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around “Oh hey Lu-” she stopped as she watched the purple haired male in front of her “Sorry.”

He chuckled “Don’t worry about it. Do I look like one of your brothers’ pack mates?”

She nodded “His name’s”

“Luhan” he tapped the side of his head.

“Alright some aspects of this dimension are scarily parallel to my own. I’m gonna have to ask you not to dig around in my head like I asked him.”

He smiled “Sure thing little one. My names Arren, I hope you’re able to sleep well tonight.”

She dipped her head in thanks “You too.”

“Oh and Shaye” Arren looked back at her over his shoulder “Ezra generally knows what he’s talking about. You haven’t fully come into your powers yet. But you have the soul of an Alpha.”