Ch. 13

Red

“I wonder if we could send a probe through and see if we could get information that way?” she muttered out loud.

Jungkook chuckled behind her “Straight to work I see.”

Kai shook his head “She’s always working.”

Shaye stared at him.

“What?”

“Didn’t you just say this was a side project?”

Kai waved his hand with a smirk on his face “Semantics.”

“What about asking your police friends for help?” Tao asked.

“Too much attention” Yoongi and Shaye replied.

Kai remembered something and stared at his sister “Hey Chen! Can we show Shaye what we’ve been working on?” He raised a finger to his lips to keep her from asking questions.

“Absolutely not” Chen replied, voice coming towards them.

“But-” Kai smirked.

“She’s standing right in front of you isn’t she?”

“Yeah.”

Chen appeared in the doorway “Fine. Come one.” Everyone in the kitchen followed them down to their workspace in the basement.

“What did you do?” Kai and Chen shrugged.

“What did they do?” Shaye tugged on Tao’s sleeve “You’ll see.”

They pulled the curtains back.

“No.”

“Yes.” Chen nodded.

“Does it actually work?”

They both nodded. “We’ve been working on it with Maru.”

“What is it?” Taehyung asked.

“It’s a type of portal or a doorway if you will.” Shaye answered as she was looking at all the mechanics. “We’ve talked about this but I didn’t think you’d actually build one.”

“It was Maru’s idea.”

“Of course it was” She snorted.

“Wanna turn it on?”

“Yes” her eyes lit up.

“Wait! Aren’t you guys going to tear a hole in the space time continuum or the fabric of time?”

The three blinked and shook their heads. “This isn’t time travel or cross dimensional. Ya’ll should lay off the doctor who and back to the future stuff.”

“Wait how safe is this?” Shaye flicked her hands out.

“Come on sis we’re hackers. It’s undetectable safe. It’s the first thing we worked on.”

“It better be or I’m taking it apart.”

“Wait are you for it or against it? I’m confused.”

Shaye patted Jungkook’s shoulder. “For it if it works correctly, against it if not because that makes it a liability and puts everyone living here in danger.” She stared at her brothers “I can’t believe you built it under the house.” Then she turned to Luhan “I can’t believe you older members let them build it here.”

Chen wrapped an arm around her shoulders “It’s fine, we knew the risks. They knew the risks. We were careful and nothing happened.”

“So why’d you actually make one?” Taehyung asked.

“Well we already knew about this kind of stuff being hackers and all and we wanted to try our hand at one as a way for some of our members to travel faster between pack houses. It’s not meant for cross-dimensional travel but it wouldn’t be hard to change a few algorithms for it to work that way.”

---

Later the next day Shaye went for a run around the house. Jungkook, Taehyung and Jimin watched her from the front window in the living room. Kai entered the room about to ask what they were doing when Shaye passed by again. “Why don’t you guys join her?”

Taehyung turned around “We would but she’s been running non-stop for over two hours.”

“Apparently she’s thinking. And Suga hyung said to leave her alone and that she knows her limits” Jungkook rolled his eyes over his shoulder.

“If you’re that worried about her I can call her in for you.”

“Don’t bother” Shaye replied after slamming the door. Jin tossed her a towel and a bottle of water. “Did it help?”

Shaye took a deep settling breath “Not really.” She turned to the trio from the window “Sorry guys but feeling your worry for the last hour and a half really didn’t help.”

“What’s wrong?” Kai asked.

“I’m missing something” she tapped the side of her head “It’s there but I can’t reach it.”

“Anything we can try to help with?” She shook her head “No. I’ve got a theory about something and its giving me a serious case of itch. My mom could probably answer my question and ease it. But it’s not worth the risk. I’ll just have to wait till tomorrow” she turned to Kai “any idea when they’re supposed to arrive tomorrow?”

He shrugged “My guess would be sometime in the afternoon.”

“Alright, well I’m gonna hop in the shower” she turned for the stairs.

“If you take longer than an hour we will send someone to check on you” Jimin called after her.

Shaye nodded in turn “Duly noted.”

--

♫If you love me don’t let go. Hold. Hold on, hold on to me cause I’m a little unsteady…♫ Shaye was walking down the hallway fully dressed after her shower when Jin wrapped his arms around her waist. “One: you have an amazing singing voice.”

Shaye shook her head slightly “It’s not that great. And?”

“Two: are you okay?”

“It’s just a song, Jin.”

“But the way you-”

Shaye held a hand up to stop him. “I know Yoongi is the only one who knows my ups and downs at the moment while the rest of you are just going off of instinct. What we have is fairly new and you guys will learn more about me and vice versa. But in the meantime, trust me when I say I’m alright.”

Jin knew that she wasn’t totally fine but decided to let it slide for the time being. “Come on, everyone wants to watch a movie. And Kyungsoo says you haven’t eaten for a while again.”

She sighed wanting nothing more than to crawl into a bed at that moment “Do I have to?”

“Yes!” Everyone downstairs called out.

She rolled her eyes at Jin before stifling a yawn. “I wasn’t talking about the food” she raised her voice slightly.

There was a hushed discussion before the Alphas called out another yes.

“I’m not a wolf so I technically don’t have to answer to any of you.” She looked at Jin and said as quiet as she could so only he could hear. “Now they’re going to skip the threat to send him and just send Yoongi up.”

At the sound of feet on the stairs she turned Jin to face them and hid behind him. At the top of the stairs Yoongi crooked his fingers, Shaye shook her head as she peaked around Jin and Jin started to laugh.

“Are you alright Hyung?”

“Yeah, she just has us figured out like clockwork.”

Yoongi quirked an eyebrow, this was nothing new to him. He walked towards Shaye “Please come down, Kyungsoo made a sandwich for you.”

“But-”

Yoongi took her hand and ran a thumb over the inside of her wrist “I know that you’re tired but the guys would be more at ease if they could see that you’re alright. You can sleep through the movie if you’d like but please come down and sit with us.”

Shaye nodded her head in defeat and walked around him before jumping on his back.

“What-”

She buried her face in his neck and Jin laughed.

“No falling asleep just yet little one, you still need to eat” he walked towards them and ruffled her hair.

“She’s already asleep Hyung” Yoongi sighed “Oh well she already agreed to go down and she can eat when she wakes. Let’s go.”