Coyote

Red

Shaye raked her fingers through her short hair as she stared at the picture of the woman who had died in her mother’s stead.

“Why are you up so early?” Shaye jumped at the deep voice and turned to find Chanyeol sitting on the table a ways behind her.

His eyes narrowed as he studied her face and then craned his neck to see the screen behind her. “I’m not even going to ask if you’re alright as you’re clearly not. Who is that?”

“My-”

“Shaye. Can I talk with you outside.”

“I. But-”

Yoongi took her hand pulling her out of the chair. She looked around and saw that all of BTS were there and a few more of the Exo members were making their way down the stairs.

Shaye pulled back on her arm making him stop once they were outside. “Why are you here so early?”

Yoongi paced around running his hand through his hair in frustration before coming to a stop in front of her “I knew something was wrong but none of the others could feel it so I tried to shake it off but then my mom called and everyone rushed over here.” His face went blank as he paused “Why do you smell like fae?”

Shaye’s hands came to rest on her hips causing her to wince slightly. “I was getting to that when you dragged me outside.”

“Sorry. It’s just I know you’d prefer not to deal with fae if you could. Are you alright?”

“Just a little shaken” she unconsciously started wiping her hands in her shirt as if she could still feel the imposter’s blood on them.

“What happened?”

“While in the dream scape I received a message-”

“No I mean what happened?” he asked as he lifted her shirt to see the stitches. He’d caught a glimpse when she was wiping her hands.

“Like I was saying” she rolled her eyes “Received a message from Raven’s father but a dark fae slipped in and had taken the form of my mom and I killed her” she shook her head “It.” She corrected herself. “Now you’re about to question me on if I’m sure about doing what I’m about to do.” She looked up at him “Why is it that you only seem to question me after I have a nightmare about my mom? You haven’t questioned me about anything I do since I had that nightmare when we were younger.”

“If you haven’t noticed, things happen after you dream like that.”

“But this one happened in the dreamscape and was fae induced. And a dark fae at that.”

Yoongi crossed his arms and Shaye rolled her eyes.

“Fine. Yes I’m sure about setting up a meeting with Raven’s father. He’s not the one I have to worry about.”

Yoongi smiled “That’s all I needed to hear.”

Shaye stared at him dumbfounded “So you’re okay with it now?”

“Yup. I’m always okay with whatever you do unless you’re uncertain about it.” He wrapped his arms around her “As long as you’re sure about what you’re doing. I know it will turn out okay.”

She glared at him “You’re being sickeningly sweet.”

“Well they don’t call me Suga for nothing” he smirked. That earned him a slap on the chest before they headed back inside to update the others and so Shaye could make a phone call.

Once inside she was pulled to the couch by Taehyung who wrapped his arms around her a little too tightly as she told everyone what had transpired in the dreamscape; causing her to wince. He went to lift her shirt up to check the wound but she stopped him, not wanting to get everyone riled up. “Are you even healing?” he asked softly out of concern but loud enough for everyone to hear.

She nodded “Probably at about a third of my normal healing speed.”

He moved his arms to her shoulders so as not to bump her wound again. But she still winced at the slight pain in her upper arm. Hoseok who was sitting next to them lifted her sleeve, revealing a paw print “Ah ” she closed her eyes.

“What?”

“I was kinda hoping that part wasn’t real” she replied softly.

“What?” Jimin prompted.

“I may have been helped by Coyote.”

“What!”

“The Coyote?” Xiumin asked.

Shaye nodded.

“Old Joe Coyote” Luhan followed up just to be sure and Shaye hummed in confirmation “I don’t think she was very happy about a dark fae invoking her name.”

“You mean him” Jungkook questioned.

“Nope” Shaye, her brothers and Yoongi all replied.

“All the stories depict Coyote as a man. Hence Old Joe Coyote” Suho pointed out.

“True but she’s THE shapeshifting trickster, why would she want the entire world to know her true form?”

“Well what about her name?”

“Jo, Joanne, Jody, Josephine. Joe isn’t strictly a male name.” Shaye pointed out.

“Okay, okay. Though shouldn’t we not be talking about her?”

“We’ve said her name multiple times now, if she wasn’t already listening before she probably is now” Namjoon pointed out.

Shaye shrugged “She’s a trickster. We’re always listening.”

“Alright here’s what I don’t understand” Chanyeol spoke up “She’s one of the higher gods of chaos. She thrives on it. Aside from Shaye being another trickster why did she help her?”

“Yeah I’d kinda like to know that too” Shaye looked in her brothers’ direction having taken notice of the fact that they were squirming in their seats.

The younger two pushed Chen out of his seat “You’re probably not going to like what I’m about to say.”

“Okay…”

“We have a great aunt Jo though that’s how she was introduced to me when I was younger. She’s actually dad’s older half-sister.”

“That actually makes sense.” She excused herself so she could make the phone call.

“Is she going to be alright?” Suho asked. “Yeah, I couldn’t tell if she took that news as good or bad” Baekhyun piped up.

“She’ll be fine” Yoongi sighed.

Jimin raised a finger “Can we go back to the part where Raven’s father requested a meeting with her? Is there any way we can talk her out of going?”

“Probably not” Namjoon rested a hand on his shoulder “Its most likely a diplomatic matter. But why don’t we save this conversation for after she’s done on the phone. Give her a chance to tell us what she’s thinking.”

Yoongi relaxed in his spot, pleased that someone else was starting to trust the fact that their mate generally knew what she was doing.

--

In the other room she riffled through the cabinets looking for something that might take the edge off her pain while she waited for the call to go through. Kyungsoo entered after hearing a couple of the doors close and gave her a questioning look.

She mimed to him the best she could and held her palms together in thanks when he nodded he understood and started preparing one of his teas for her.

“Ah yes” her hand flew to the back of her neck “This is Red of dimension-” she started before the voice on the other end cut her off “I’m sorry, is this THE Red? The Alpha of the multi-dimensional pack?” Her hand went to her pocket as she gave Kyungsoo a weird look “Yes… How do you know this?”

“You helped us a lot with those space pirates that were trafficking girls. Anyways how can we help you?”

She cleared “There was a woman that I understand was recently murdered by a creature from my dimension, unfortunately because she resembled my mom. I wish to inform her next of kin that we’re sorry for their loss and that I took care of the creature as it had attacked me as well. Now the creature had simply been following orders. And I’m fairly certain I know whom from. If the family wishes further retribution I would be more than happy to send him there for his sentence.”

“Seeing as the killer has been dealt with that most likely won’t be necessary. But we’ll inform the family for you and we’ll be in contact if they decide on a further action.”

“Thank you.” She ended the call turning to find the cup of tea waiting for her. “Thank you” she briefly hugged Kyungsoo before taking a sip of tea.

“So how weird was that?” he cracked.

Shaye deflated against the counter “Mega. That was my first official call as Alpha to another dimension that’s not occupied by the pack. It was bad enough that I was calling because one of my mom’s doppel’s was killed. But the fact that my name is already known in multiple dimensions because of that pirate ordeal and not as a hacker is kinda wigging me out.”

“Despite what you might think we still believe you were the right person to pick to be the Alpha of the combined packs. I know its nerve wracking at times but you’re doing great.”

She handed him her cup “Thanks, I think I needed to hear that. What was in that?”

“You don’t want to know.” Kyungsoo turned to rinse the cup out. “How’s your pain level?” he asked as he turned back to her.

“Still there but its bearable now, thank you.” He nodded and they made their way back to the group.

She still wasn’t completely sure how she felt about other dimensions knowing her name so quickly. Her head jerked up at the feel of the odd atmosphere in the room bringing her out of her thoughts. She warily glanced at Kyungsoo before addressing the room “Did I miss something?” she asked as she made her way to sit with Jin.

“Just Jimin and Jungkook not liking the thought of you meeting a fae leader.”

“Hyung!”

Jin rolled his eyes “You always have a plan. Would you please share your thoughts on what you’re going to do?”

“If it’ll ease the” she shivered “feelings in this room then sure. For starters I want to bring Hoseok with me but I can bring Yoongi too if it’ll help your nerves.”

Jimin and Jungkook nodded their heads vigorously but Yoongi waved his hand “That’s not necessary. Hoseok should be enough.”

She made to lean forward but thought better of it and moved to the edge of her spot while straightening her posture. “Alright so here’s the deal. Raven’s father has requested me to be in his presence. Which-” she held a hand up to stop the younger one from saying anything. “Which means I get to pick the place and set the rules. He’s coming to me not the other way around. And aside from him being on the EXTREMELY short list of fae that I actually trust. I get to play with words.” She closed her eyes in bliss at the excitement of the thought. “I can’t remember the last time I had a conversation like that. You see” She forgot herself, perching forward on Jin’s lap and winced at her own sudden movement.

“Careful” he whispered.

She nodded briefly before continuing “Talking with fae especially those who are higher up is like talking with a trickster but with a bit of an elegant flair and it’s so much more fun.”

“So you have to be more careful” Luhan threw out.

And Shaye’s eyebrows shot up as she placed a hand on her chest “Me? No. Anyone else? Yes. Fae tend to take words literally. One has to be careful not to promise something they didn’t mean to.”

“So in other words take the same precaution you’d have while speaking with a trickster” Baekhyun said.

“Mmm…” she squinted her eyes, twisting her lips “Nope. I’m not quite sure how to explain it fully. There’s a subtle difference on how you talk between the two but if you don’t get it right it could be the biggest mistake you’ve ever made.”

Tensions rose again causing Shaye to roll her eyes. Tao watched as his sister deflated a bit and shifted to rest her forehead on Jin’s shoulder before studying the rest of her mates.

“You guys seem to forget what she is,” he spoke up catching the rooms attention “What we are” he gestured to himself and their brothers. “She’s a kitsune, a trickster. Which means she knows how to use her words with other tricksters and fae folk. It’s something that comes naturally to us. So for my sister’s sanity please relax and trust her on this one.”

Shaye caught his eye and mouthed a thanks to him which he nodded in turn.

“Also” Kai spoke up “Most tricksters, unless they’re bored aren’t going to hold you accountable to what you say. Unlike with Fae where words are power.”

“Like when you wouldn’t tell me Ten’s real name” Jimin recalled.

Shaye nodded “It’s safer if you don’t know it. Ten is the only name you need to know.”

“Alright Hyung!” Jimin slapped Hoseok’s back “Protect her well.”

Shaye stifled a laugh behind her hand “That’s not why he’s coming with Ji”

“Then why?” Jungkook asked.

“Primarily for training. I have a feeling we’ll have more dealings with fae in the future. Yoongi already knows how to speak with both. I hope to train all of you eventually and maybe my brothers and Yoongi can help.”

“What about Raven? Couldn’t we practice with them, especially since they’re pack now?”

Shaye’s head whipped around to find Taehyung, eyes filled with horror. Jin ran a hand down her back and she took a steadying breath “That’s a good idea but even if it’s for practice please don’t do so without Yoongi or myself being there. Yes Raven is pack but they’re still fae and even if they weren’t they still have their moments. I swear if Raven hadn’t been born fae they’d have been born a trickster of some sort.”

Taehyung moved in front of her and smoothed his hands along her calves as an apology and hoped to calm her down. “We won’t talk to them alone.”

“Shouldn’t the fear of what you’d do to them keep them from doing anything to your mates or anyone else in the pack for that matter?” Chanyeol asked having read into the relationship Raven and Shaye had.

“It should” Shaye raised her eyebrows haughtily “Doesn’t mean that it would.”

Taehyung’s grip tightened on her calves and she glanced down “What is it Tae?” following his gaze to her shirt and groaned at the spot that was slowly growing. She wished she had put on a darker shirt.

“I thought you said you were healing.”

“I am.”

“Then what’s that?”

Before she could answer, Jin was standing with her in his arms ready to follow Lay to their infirmary. Taehyung chose to follow them while the rest stayed where they were.

“It’ll be fine” Kyungsoo informed the rest “She’s still healing. They just need to clean the wound again.”

Sehun rolled his eyes “She asked for something for the pain didn’t she?”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Lay would’ve had me make it for her eventually. Ya’ll know it’s not something to be taken right after stitching a wound up, especially if it’s deep. It needs to heal a bit on its own first.”

Jungkook leaned forward in his seat “So what was it that was seeping through, because it didn’t smell like blood.”

“Any toxins including poison that may have been on the blade” Namjoon explained as he was familiar with the tea.

Kyungsoo nodded “It’s to ensure there aren’t any complications that might crop up after the wound has appeared to have healed.”

Kai hummed “Sounds like we have some visitors” he looked toward the entry way of the living room as Mason and Kasper rounded the corner with a third. They nodded their greetings to the room before Mason asked how Shaye was.

“She’s fine. Lay and Jin are fixing her wound again” Hoseok explained. “How did you hear about that?”

The boys just pointed at their counterparts. “Everyone wanted to come with but we pointed out the fact that she wouldn’t be happy with everyone running over to check on her because of a nick. Unlike the others we have another reason to be here aside from checking in.”

“Who’s that?” Suho gestured to the man standing beside them.

“Chen’s counterpart” Kasper bounced on his toes.

And Mason rolled his eyes “This is Jason, we were searching for him because we figured the family wouldn’t be complete without him. But he found us first and asked if he could join the pack.”

“I knew what you guys were talking about but it’s still surreal.” He commented as he took in all of the familiar unfamiliar faces.

“Who’s this?” Shaye asked as she came up behind them on Taehyung’s back “Cause you’re not Chen” she smiled and reached out a hand over Tae’s shoulder.

“Jason” he just stared at them.

“It’s taking a bit for your head to catch up isn’t it?”

“Shaye is the Alpha of the mixed packs and Chen, Tao and Kai” each boy waved to the new member “Are her actual brothers in this dimension.”

Jason nodded.

She winced slightly after having Taehyung lower her to her feet. “Here” Mason fished a small jar out of his pocket “Before I forget. We were pulled into a pocket dimension and were told to give you this. She said she’s sorry for not realizing that the fae had injured you.”

“Mind if I take a look at that first?” Kyungsoo was by her side and quickly closed the bottle after opening it and giving the okay to Jin and Lay. “That’s really strong” he passed it back to Shaye.

Who looked at the bottle. ‘Drink this, love aunt Jo’ there was a small paw print underneath the signature. Before anyone had the chance to stop her; had they wanted to. She downed the bottle. Yoongi was next to her the moment the bottle dropped from her hand and her legs gave out “Well this will be interesting.”

“Are you going to pass out?”

“I don’t think so, but I am a bit woozy.”

“I’m going to put you on the couch with Jin, alright?” Shaye nodded “Will you sit with us?”

“Yes” He softened.

“Didn’t you say she was the Alpha?”

“Yes” Kai and Kasper both replied with big grins on their faces as they watched their sister.

Jason moved to stand in front of Shaye “With all due respect sir, ma’am” he paused when Shaye gave him a confused looked. He looked at his feet “I know you don’t like being called Alpha.”

She chuckled and spoke softly “Women can be captains too. But I don’t care either way. If you want to call me sir go for it.”

He shook his head continuing “Are you out of your mind! Do you even know who that was from?”

“Coyote” Shaye answered trying to keep a straight face as the new member ranted and lectured her like the over protective brother his counterpart could be at times.

“Yes Coyote. How could you- wait” he froze and slowly turned back towards her “You knew it was from her and you still drank it?”

Shaye nodded.

“Relax,” Kai swung an arm over his shoulder “Jo’s our aunt.”

“What!?” Kasper and Mason cried out at the new information.

Shaye hummed in confirmation “She means me no harm. But you said ‘her’, which means you’re familiar with her as well. How?”

“She’s also my aunt and I know how she likes to play with people.”

“What!” half the room exclaimed. “How’s that possible?”

“Well she is a god so…”

Shaye never took her eyes off of Jason “That makes a bit more sense why you’re new to the pack. You’re a sly one.” He nodded confirmation. “Well cousin, welcome to the pack.”

---

“Where is she!?”

Shaye woke up to find that they were still at her brothers’ place. She must’ve passed out at some point. She untangled herself from the few of her mates that were still asleep as she listened to the conversation downstairs.

“Calm down, she’s still recovering from the weekend.”

She chuckled to herself as she couldn’t remember the last time she felt as good as she did. She lifted her shirt, removing the bandages and found no sign of ever being wounded there, not even a faded scar. ‘Thanks aunt Jo.’

There was a pounding on the door to which Shaye yanked it open to greet Raven with a finger on her lips, stepping out of the room. She gently closed the door behind her before dragging Raven by the arm through the group of boys standing behind them and down the hall with the intent of using the Alphas’ office. She paused in the doorway finding Kris in there. She silently waved off his questioning look, turning back down the hall through the few boys who lingered in the hallway and downstairs to the kitchen table. “Now, why are you here?”

“I was beginning to think you’d gone mute there for a moment.” Raven leveled with Shaye’s gaze “I want to go with you when you meet with my father.”

Shaye slammed her head on the table and groaned out a no.

“You can’t stop me.”

She sat back up and raised an eyebrow “Oh? I can and I will. It’s not safe.” She leaned forward placing her arms on the table “Your brother is probably anticipating that you’ll be there and your father knows that. Which is why he didn’t ask you to be there. You’re not going. Even if it means locking you in a spelled room of my doing and that’s final. Go back to the house.”

“But”

Shaye calmly shook her head and watched as Raven’s shoulders slumped.

“Fine can you at least pass this on to him for me?” Raven snapped their fingers and a note floated down in front of Shaye.

“That, I will do.”

“Just be careful okay?” She nodded “I’ve warned your brother once. He’s never going to lay a finger on me again.”