ch.17

Red

A/N: Sorry everyone! I thought I was doing a double update... hadn't realized that ch.16 and the first chapter I posted tonight were the same one. Sorry again.

- Fayt


Mason dragged Shaye down for breakfast. She stood next to an empty chair “So when can we start?”

“Right after you eat.”

“But Xui- Ah sorry.”

“It’s Mika” he replied as he set a mug and a plate full of food down where she was expected to sit. “I get the feeling that you don’t eat as often as you should.”

“Um” she raised a hand to the back of her head.

“Workaholic” Arren chuckled causing her to pull a face at his teasing. Ezra looked up from his meal “The sooner you eat the sooner you can get to work. Now sit.”

“Yes sir.” She mock saluted before taking her seat. “Done!” her plate was clear as she downed the contents of the mug. “Oh my gods what was that?”

“Tea” Mika answered.

Shaye paused in thought but decided not to question it. “May I have some more tea while I work on the communications?”

“Sure I’ll bring one to you. Kasper or Riley can show you where the computers are.”

“I’ll go with them” Mason excused himself from the table.

Kasper handed Shaye something “Slip this over your ear.”

“But it only covers one eye.”

Kasper smirked “It’ll be fine, trust me.” He flipped a switch on the table top.

“No way” Her jaw dropped. “Let’s try their computers first.” She pulled a small card out of her pocket. “I figure we have to pair stuff from both dimensions for the initial link. And eventually we’ll be able to just use code.” She mumbled to herself.

Kasper sent an impressed look at Mason. They already knew how to set up links between dimensions but she was newer to this so they wanted to see how far she could get on her own.

“Can I insert this somewhere? Or is everything wireless?”

“It’s all wireless, just place it on any of the outlined boxes on the table and you should be good to go.”

“Alright!” Shaye cracked her fingers. Now all she needed was a keyboard and before she could ask one lit up on the table. Shaye was getting giddy as she worked on the link that would let her talk with someone back in her home dimension.

“What is she so happy about?” The voice sounded like it belonged to Lay but she knew it wasn’t actually him, she just hadn’t been introduced to this one yet.

She glanced over her shoulder still typing in code. “Sorry, I’m geeking out a bit.” She apologized to the boys who had joined Kasper and Mason behind her. “It’s not everyday that I get to work on something this new to me and I can’t help but think of all the possibilities with trans-dimensional communication.”

“You mean cross-dimensional.”

Shaye shrugged “Cross-dimensional, trans-dimensional. Whatever you call it here. The possibilities are endless. Hackers where I’m from are supposed to be the only ones who know about the doorways. Few know how to travel with them. But we all agree on one thing. And it’s that we keep our governments out of it. Because we definitely do not need dimensional government police.” She shivered at the mere idea and froze. “That isn’t a thing is it? A dimensional police force?”

Someone scoffed “I think you’ve seen to many scifi movies.”

She looked back at the speaker “Dude, seriously? We’re basically living one.” She turned back to the table. “I’m assuming you already have some kind of network set up between other dimensions. So if you don’t already do so, things could even go as far as returning wanted criminals who managed to end up in different dimensions to the correct one to face their charges.”

Kasper’s eyebrows raised “We don’t” he said slowly “But that’s not a bad idea.”

“Like vigilantes?” Someone asked.

Shaye’s head bobbed. “It’s a bit more than what I normally do but I’m not known as Red the vigilante hacker from where I’m from for nothing.”

“Wait! You’re Red?!”

Shaye slowly turned back to face them “There’s no way you’ve heard of me here.”

Half of the boys nodded. And Kasper smirked “Network, remember?”

“Wow.” Shaye wasn’t sure what she thought about that. “Anyways our first priority is getting Mason’s sister back. We can focus on future trans-dimensional stuff later.”

“If you’re really Red then why is it taking so long for you to write a simple code?” Shaye turned to the side only to have lined eyes right in her face. She leaned back a bit “Riley?” she pointed at him.

“Yes. How did you know?” He narrowed his eyes.

“Xiu-” she closed her eyes “Sorry, Mika said your name earlier and I guessed. Anyways” she crossed her arms “I’ve been done.”

“Why are you frowning?”

“No one is picking up on their computers.”

Riley scoffed “Are you sure you did it right?”

“Yes.” She ground out. “Now get out of my face before I deck you.” Arren pulled him away and she sent him a silent thanks. She dug her phone out of her pocket and set it on the table and had it sync before she tried one of the boys’ phones instead. “Pick up, pick up, pick up…” she bounced her let.

“Shaye! Thank gods. Where the hell are you?”

She just stared up at the projected face on the wall “That’s cool” she muttered. “The better question is why the none of you were answering the call on your computers.”

Kai got a bit sheepish “That was you?”

Shaye nodded before sending a look in Riley’s direction.

“None of us recognized the address so we were trying to figure out where it was coming from. Wait how is Tao hyung with you?”

“I’m right here idiot” Tao was standing behind Kai.

“As if you haven’t figured it out already, I’m in another dimension, Mason” She pointed to him “Thought I was his twin. I managed to set up a connection between our two dimensions so I could let ya’ll know I was alright and also I’m bringing a few people back with me. Let the others know so no one gets hurt. I’ll explain the rest when we get there.”

“You better hurry up. Your wolves are going batty.”

“Good to know. Gotta run” She ended the call.

“That. Was kind of weird” Kasper said.

“Ya think?” Shaye turned around to see a full room “So… Who’s coming with to get Jae?”

“I’ll go” Everyone raised their hand.

She turned to Mason “They can’t all come with. Trust me we have plenty to help on my end.”

“We’ll go.”

Shaye squinted at the two who had stepped forward before slowly shaking her head “You’re both Alphas, shouldn’t one of you stay here?” They shared a look knowing she was right, before Ezra raised his hand “I’ll go.”

“That makes two, who else do you need?”

Ezra thought for a moment before choosing “Arren, Kasper and Riley.”

“So…” Shaye was unsure of what to do next. “We can be through the closest doorway in roughly an hour’s time.” Ezra answered her unasked question.