Unsteady

Red

It’s the night of the full moon and most of the packs have gone out to go running or to hunt, leaving behind Jin, Hoseok and a couple of others in case of an attack. Jin and Hoseok have been keeping an eye on Shaye who had spent the entire day going over the information they had gathered the night before, as she grew more and more frustrated throughout the day. Hoseok thought back to when she was tapping her pen earlier and they were talking about who would go out and who would stay behind.

“Hyung, are you sure it’s a good idea for Jin and I to stay behind? You know her best and Namjoon or Taehyung would be good choices too.”

Yoongi set his hand on Hoseok’s shoulder, “You’ll be fine; we’re not going to be gone for that long. And if anything happens that you can’t handle just call us.”

Chen burst out laughing “You guys sound like you’re leaving a new born with first time baby sitters. If Shaye were even half listening you’d be in trouble.”

Everyone paused to look at her. Yoongi looked to Kai “Nice touch with the headphones.”

He shrugged “I try.”

“Let’s go” Kris move towards the door.

 Jin and Hoseok looked up from what they were doing at the sound of a pen snapping to find Shaye shaking and wiping the ink on her hand off on her jeans before running the same hand through her short hair. They chuckled briefly at the sight as any of the ink she missed ended up on her face and in her hair Jin nudged Hoseok “Go talk to her, I’ll grab a wash cloth.”

“Hey” Hoseok announced his presence before setting a hand on her shoulder, not wanting to startle her. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t-” She shook her head. “I feel off. And this information is nearly useless” She said as she flung a stack of papers into the air. “Chen said there’s a storm coming, we have a guy from another dimension who looks like my step dad; running around for reasons only the gods know at the moment.” She pointed at the papers on the floor “It has huge gaping holes and none of it gives any hint on a possible time frame for anything. So we don’t know if we’re running out of time or-”

She had just started to run her hand back through her hair again mid rant as Hoseok wrapped a hand around the back of her head and kissed her. The kiss lasted long enough for her to clear her mind. He rested his forehead against hers, hands tightening warmly on her waist “Breathe” she nodded and let out a slow calming breath. “Better?” She nodded again refusing to meet his eyes. He raised a hand to cup her cheek “Now I know it’s an important fact but don’t focus on the time frame yet.”

Her eyes flashed up to his before she quickly averted them again “But-”

“No. Also, you’re not alone in this. We’ll figure everything out and it’ll be fine. Okay?” Shaye just nodded again causing Hoseok to frown slightly “Please look at me” she started shaking and shook her head.

Jin chuckled from the doorway “She’s holding herself back. Let her go Seok.” He turned to Shaye who wouldn’t meet his eyes either “I’ve drawn a bath for you, go wash up and try to relax. Yeah?”

She nodded and ran off.

 Hoseok waited for Shaye to leave the room before questioning Jin as they picked the paper up off the floor “Why would she hold herself back and from doing what?”

Jin chuckled “probably because she has more on her mind that just the usual full moon silliness. As for what, it could be anything.”

They heard a crash from the direction of the bathroom “Hey, wait!”

They ran in the direction of Sehun’s voice and found Kyungsoo waiting near the bathroom. “What happened?”

“Sehun heard scratching. Something ran out when he opened the door and he chased after it into one of the rooms.”

Jin opened the door wider to find a puddle of water on the floor and Shaye missing. Jin swore turning back to Kyungsoo. “Which room did they run into?”

“Tao’s”

“Can you call the rest of BTS back?” Kyungsoo nodded “Thanks, come on” Jin tugged on Hoseok’s arm before running to Tao’s room.

Upon entering they found Sehun lying on his stomach with an arm stretched out trying to coax a small animal out from under the bed. “We won’t hurt you” They heard him call softly. Sehun glanced back at them before sitting up. “Did you know she could transform?”

They both shook their heads “She never mentioned it, how do you know it’s Shaye?”

Sehun shrugged “Smells like her. Maybe you should see if she’ll come out for one of you.”

He stood up and moved near the door Jin and Hoseok both got down on their stomachs, all they could see was a trembling ball of fur and nothing either of them said could get Shaye to move or look at them.

“Give her some room” Yoongi stood at the door with NamJoon “Chen is on his way back, he might be able to help. It sounds like of the three; that he’s the only one who has mastered his fox form” Yoongi winked which brought everyone’s attention back to the bed in time to see Shaye’s head disappear back under it. It seems like it didn’t matter what form she was in; Yoongi’s voice still had some effect on her.

“I figured their wolves would’ve dominated over that gene” Jin pondered.

“Normally it would” Chen strolled into the room “But we’re not half wolf half fox. We’re half wolf half kitsune, which means if we choose to we’re able to use both our wolf form and our fox form.” He turned to Yoongi. “Is this her first transformation?”

“As far as I know it is.”

Chen nodded “Take your jacket off and be ready to catch her.” He snapped his fingers for flair before dashing under the bed in his fox form. They both dashed out from under the bed and Yoongi caught the smaller of the two. “Enough of that” he told her as she struggled in his arms. She stopped immediately.

“Now the question is: were you embarrassed or scared?” Shaye threw her head back and laughed with her eyes closed “I know it was a silly question as those are two things that aren’t generally associated to you but life happens and what other reason would you have for not willingly coming out on your own?” She just stared at him with purple eyes. “Do you know how to turn back?” She shook her head.

Chen walked over to them “At least she’s conscious in there. I bet it was quite a shock huh” he scratched her ears and she nipped at his fingers.

Shaye heard footsteps and buried her face in the crook of Yoongi’s arm. “Where’s Shaye? Kyungsoo said something happened.” Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook stood outside the room.

Yoongi shrugged his arms “Right here.”

Jimin raised a brow “It’s just your jacket hyung.”

Yoongi looked down and he could clearly see her. Chen could still see her too and burst out laughing “Neat trick.”

 Yoongi cracked a smile “I guess we don’t have to worry about the fact of your fur being white. And that childhood nickname is very fitting now.”

Chen nudged him “What nickname?”

“Ghost, she’s always been good at hiding her presence.” He jostled his arms “Why don’t you show them? They’re going to see eventually.” She shook her head and nipped his arm. “Careful now, I bit back.” He looked back up at the rest after seeing her yawn “I’m going to call it a night.”

“Is Hyung feeling alright?” Jungkook asked after he left.

Jin shook his head “Somehow Shaye transformed into a fox. She doesn’t know how to change back yet and I guess she’s not ready for everyone to see her in that form yet as she made herself invisible.

“Well there’s nothing to be done I guess. Is it alright if we go running a bit longer?” Taehyung turned to Namjoon.

He nodded “Take Jin and Hoseok with you, I’m sure they have some energy to burn off as well.”

“Awesome!” Hoseok jumped “Let’s go!”