Ch. 32

Red

The slight stir in the air when the door to Yoongi’s room was opened was all it took to wake him and Shaye. She sat up as Yoongi wrapped himself around her waist. She stared at the two before her not totally sure why they were just standing there. “What’s wrong?” She frowned.

“Are you mad at us?”

Her eyes widened “Why would-” she shook her head “I’m not mad at you guys I just didn’t want you to be upset with me for pulling stupid again which I can’t seem to help where Raven is concerned. I didn’t need you getting upset with them either.” Shaye focused her gaze on her fingers which she was twisting in tangling in the bed sheet.

She felt the bed shift as they moved toward her “Shaye look at us” she shook her head slightly even as Yoongi squeezed her waist slightly in encouragement. “Look at us Shaye” She shook her head again not sure herself why she won’t look up.

“Noona” Jungkook voiced sternly when she wouldn’t respond to Jimin. Placing two fingers under her chin and lifting slightly causing her to meet his gaze “Stop hiding” his fingers trailed to her jaw as he placed a tentative kiss on the corner of her lips. “You’re sorry and we’re sorry” he spoke against her lips “let’s call it good yeah?”

Yoongi chuckled softly behind her as she nodded unconsciously following Jungkook’s lips as he pulled away only to have hers captured by Jimin as he released everything he was feeling into the kiss. He grinned into the kiss when she reciprocated.

“Yah!” The two jump a part “What do you guys think you’re going?”

Shaye moves to the side, burying her face in Jungkook’s neck as Tae and the other three join them on Yoongi’s bed. “She should be resting.”

“We were apologizing for being pushy last night about the bruise and she’s fine. If she weren’t I’m sure Suga would’ve kicked us out of here” Jimin replied as Jungkook runs a calming hand down her back.

“Is she alright?”

“I thought Shaye didn’t get embarrassed.”

“I’m not” she squeaked as someone trailed fingers up her side.

“She’s just a bit shocked” Yoongi commented as Jungkook chuckled in her ear “What did I say about hiding.”

“I’m not” she pouted against his neck. “You’re really warm is all.”

“Is that so.” She nodded. “I can keep you warm but I’m sure the others want to see your pretty face.”

She shifted so she was sitting on his lap, facing the others. He wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his face in her neck. She fought a yawn as she snuggled into his hold. The boys all chuckled at the sight. “Looks like today might be a lazy day” Jin traced patterns on one of her ankles.

“If you feel up to it can you tell us about the temples?”

She seemed to sink into Jungkook’s embrace a bit more as she thought back on it “Got tangled with a mob on that one.” Her eyes took on a hazy look “They were targeting a few temples that they’d deemed were on prime building ground. Came across it because they’d already burned adown one and the news was reporting it as an accident. Something didn’t feel right and much to Raven’s annoyance I got curious and looked into it. Now everyone knows you don’t build anything over a temple other than another temple or you get cursed and what not. These guys didn’t care and were still trying to uproot good people.

We were finished with the job we’d been working on and were taking the scenic route back to meet up with Maru when we came across another of the targeted temple. It was burning and people were screaming. Bastards were trying to burn people alive. I dragged Raven with me and we got people out before putting out the flames. After that we helped build and rebuild a few temples and protected them from demons and the big mob businesses that wanted the land.”

“You fought demons” Jimin asked.

“I didn’t say that” she pointed at him.

“What about your magic? I thought you weren’t comfortable with it before we met you?”

Shaye slowly shook her head “Fox magic… kitsune magic is easy for me it’s like a second skin and I can even set wards with it. The magic you’re talking about. The stuff I was practicing while preparing for my aunt I’m pretty sure it comes from somewhere on my mom’s side. As far as I know she’s human and I’m half but the magic says otherwise.”

“So how’d you take care of the mobsters? Did you superhero it up?”

Shaye looked back at Jungkook and scoffed “One: Hacker” she pointed to herself “And two: I’m pretty sure you’d have heard about it had we ‘superheroed it up’.”

“So how’d you do it then?”

She smirked and the guys shivered “Psychological war fare. Quite literally. We got into their dreams and what not and turned them against each other and hacked their companies.”

“You should check out some of the wards she’s done” Hoseok sat up excited “We met at one of them when we met Raven’s father. Unless you’re a follower of the temple and surrounding shrines you wouldn’t know any better. The ward keeps out evil and makes the temple look run down and haunted before you pass through it. One of the caretakers even called her guardian Red. It was so cool.”

Everyone’s eyes were on Shaye and the maknae who seemed to have fallen asleep in the brief moments of Hoseok’s outburst. Yoongi and Jin gently moved the two so they were lying down rather than sitting up and slouching with Jungkook’s head tucked into her neck. Jin shook his head just thinking about how much pain they’d be in had they left them like that. Everyone else moved around the bed to find a comfortable spot before almost drifting off themselves.

“Somethings coming” Shaye mutters sleepily as she turns from Jungkook’s embrace into Taehyung’s on the other side of her. All the guys aside from Jungkook and Taehyung who were frozen sat up and looked at Shaye.

“Come again?” Tae brushed her fringe to the side.

“Somethings coming” she gripped his shirt.

“What is?”

They watched as her body sat up and her lulled to the side while a lazy smirk graced her lips. They took note that her eyes never opened even as she seemed to huff a laugh to herself. Tae was about to ask again when NamJoon caught his eye and placed a finger to his lips.

They watch as her head swayed while she hummed softly to herself. “Tides will turn, worlds will burn. Something’s coming.”

The guys all stare at each other as her body finally stilled and dropped back to the bed. NamJoon got off the bed. “Stay with her let me know if anything else happens. I’m going to go call Ezra and Yongguk.”

---

Later that night Shaye is awake and sitting in the window seat of the office. Nursing a glass of liquor, she rested her head against the cool glass of the window as she watched the storm outside. She winced when NamJoon entered and flipped the main light on out of habit.

He muttered an apology as he turned the light back off and moved the desk chair so he could sit in front of her. “So this is where you’ve been hiding” he commented as he settled in the chair.

She nodded slightly before taking a sip from the tumbler “Where’d you get that.” She shrugged “My head hurts” she muttered.

“For good reason.”

“It’s not the drink, and I only filled it half way. What if I told you it was apple juice?”

“I want to see you take a swig of that with a straight face.”

She turned to face him and did as he said with her eyes locked on his. She didn’t even flinch.

“No way.” He took the tumbler from her and downed the rest of the golden drink and immediately started coughing after it went down hard.

She swapped out the glass in his hand for the bottle of water she had next to her. “I found it in the back of a cupboard. I can’t remember the last time I woke up in that much pain without having been injured to my knowledge. I needed something to take the edge off. I’m sorry. Didn’t think you’d drink the rest of it.”

NamJoon wrapped his hand around the back of her neck and rested his forehead against hers “You’re insane you know that?”

She tilted her head in a slight shrug as much as she could “Not the first time I’d been told. I still can’t believe you did that though.”

He kissed her briefly before letting her go. “Your lack of reaction really had me thinking it was apple juice.”

She nodded while tangling her fingers in the hem of her shirt. “Listen,” She looked up at him “Did something happen? Aside from waking up and feeling like I’d been hit by a bus. Everyone seems a bit off. I felt like everyone could use some space so instead of asking what was wrong I just came here.”

NamJoon closed his eyes as his shoulders dropped “I had hoped that was something you’d remember but apparently that isn’t so. Something spoke through you last night.”

Shaye shook her head “That’s not supposed to happen” she lifted her shirt to look at her side only to find that half of the marking she put there had disappeared. “Damn” she sighed before looking back up at him “What did I say? The entire thing if you will.”

“You said something was coming a few times. And you kind of drunkenly laughed and hummed to yourself before the last part which was ‘Tides will turn, worlds will burn. Something’s coming’.”

“Not creepy at all.” She stood and walked around the office. “Why didn’t anyone tell me this earlier? I could’ve been working on this all day.”

“Full moon’s tomorrow” he muttered.

“Exactly! Yoongi won’t let me near a computer tomorrow.” She tossed her hands up. “Have you spoken to any of the others?”

“Yeah. Ez said something similar happened with Jae a couple of days ago. And Yongguk said Raven refuses to talk.”

“They would” she scoffed before biting her lip. “How similar was Jae’s experience?”

“Nearly exactly the same.”

She walked around a bit more before stopping in front of him. She ran a hand through his hair as he was still seated in the office chair. “Raven tell you guys that we hear things?”

He nodded, bringing his hands up to rest on her hips.

“I’m not sure when but I might disappear for a few days. Nothing I can do about it. I just don’t want you guys to worry unless I’m gone for more than a week, timey stuff.”

“Alright” he frowned, he’d ask how she knew but it was probably just a feeling or she’d tell him more, “We’ll deal with it when it happens. Will you run with us tomorrow? It’s been a while since you’ve let your fox out.” He nipped at her neck.

“I don’t know. I guess we’ll see what happens tomorrow. Though unlike your wolves, my fox from isn’t something that needs a release or I’d be in it more often.”

Namjoon shrugged “Either way I could give you a release” he pulled her down into a kiss. “Do me a favor?”

“Hm?” She leaned back.

“Sleep in my room tonight.”

She quirked an eyebrow “You might have a full bed in the morning.”

He shrugged “That’s to be expected when a pack has one mate.”

“Sure.”

“So…” he pulled her back into him “Will you come running with us?”

Shaye shrugs “Guess you’ll find out tomorrow.”

---

Shaye was the first to wake up the next morning. And as predicted she woke to a tangle of limbs. She teleported herself to the kitchen to start a pot of coffee before moving on to the bathroom for a quick shower. Making her way back to the kitchen she was pleased to hear that no one else was up yet.

Shaye downed her first cup of coffee before refilling her mug and filling a second and proceeded to the office with a mug in each hand. She cleared off the desk and settled herself on top of it before calling Jae. She put the call on speaker and set the phone on the desk, taking a sip from the mug in her hand as she waited for the call to go through.

“What’s up?”

“I didn’t wake you did I?”

“Nah, its midday here.”

“Go, I was hoping to bounce some ideas off of you.”

“Sure.”

“I found out late last night that we both spouted the same prophetic within days of each other. Also its full moon day and I’m not supposed to touch a computer but I needed to start figuring this out. Have you guys had any time to look into it?”

“We just finished with a job so we haven’t had time to really look into the wards. But we’re pretty sure it has something to do with the fates.”

Shaye nodded “Yeah, I’m fairly sure they’re stirring things up again. Did you hear the one about losing an entire dimension the last time they got out?”

“No, but if that’s the case and we’re both hearing and saying stuff. Ya think they’re going after multiple dimensions this time?”

“Well what were the words again and how many times did we say something was coming?”

“Um twice I think… hold on. –Kas! ‘What?’ How many times did I say something was coming? ‘Before or after the tides and worlds mumbo jumbo?’ Before. ‘Who are you- Oh hey sis. Twice before and once more for a third time at the end’.”

“Thanks Kas.” Shaye added to her notes in the air “Somethings coming, something’s coming” She muttered.

“Tides will turn, worlds will burn. Something’s coming.” Jae finished while Shaye wrote it down.

“Alright so ‘Tides will turn’. Normally anything with the tides imply something to do with the oceans but if that were the case it’d be ‘tides will rise.’ So I’d say we could cross out any major catastrophe via the oceans.”

“I think you’re right on that. And ’tides will turn’ is another take on changing times right?”

“Yup” Shaye took a sip from the second cup before grimacing as the remaining coffee had cooled too much for her liking so she quickly downed the rest of the cup, not wanting it to go to waste. “So we keep our feelers out for any changes, massive, subtle or otherwise. And ‘worlds will but’ could definitely be multiple dimensions. But I don’t want to keep our focus on that thought since it could still be anything. I wanna make sure we’ve got all of our bases covered.”

“Roger that”

“What are you doing?”

Shaye whips around to find Taehyung in the doorway. “Talking to Jae” She pointed to the phone on the desk “Trying to figure out this prophecy bs without touching a computer.” She gestured to the writing hanging in the air.

“And hopped up on coffee I see.”

Jae groaned with enough annoyance for herself and Shaye knowing they’d have to end their call here. “I think I’ve got enough to go off of for now, I’ll try calling tomorrow or something. Go spend some time with your mates.”

“Thanks Jae” Taehyung chuckled as Shaye tried to get to her phone before Jae hung up “Wait! But-”

Tae wraps his arms around her from behind and hooks his chin on her shoulder. “I’m sorry. I didn’t think she’d actually end the call. I wouldn’t have minded listening to you two working out the prophecy.”

“It’s alright.”

“No its not. I know how frustrating it is for you when the full moon comes in the middle of something you’re working on.”

Shaye turned in his arms, burying her face in his chest before sighing and leaning back to look at him “Jae has a computer and I trust her. I’ll be fine for one day.”

He smiles down at her “If you say so. So” he nodded his head towards the floating words “How do you do that?”

Shaye shrugged as she looked at her work “I think it’s something that comes from my mom’s side.”

“So tell me more about your powers” Taehyung took a seat on the desk.

“Most of what you already know and have seen me use is fox powers.” Shaye sighed “I’m still not fully sure what I get from my mom’s side other than whatever it is, it enhances my fox powers.”

“So you think you’re less than half human now?”

“Yeah” Shaye twitched one of her hands, summoning a flame on her palm. “My powers are growing, which is semi-normal for a kitsune especially one with my lineage but I can feel something else there.” She extinguished the flame with a shrug “Whatever the quarter of it is or at least I don’t think it’s less. That’d be something I’d have to ask my grandparents about but they’re not exactly around anymore…”

“No!” Shaye jumped and Taehyung hid a smile behind his hands. Jimin joined them in the office.

“You don’t even know what we’re talking about.”

“Yes I do and the answer is no.”

“But-”

“No.”

“It wouldn’t be hard.”

“No.” Jimin turned to the door and called for the others as Shaye leaned against the desk next to Tae.

She crossed her arms and huffed “What are you five?”

“What’s going on, What are you saying no to?”

“It’s dangerous” Jimin turned back to Shaye, ignoring Jim’s question.

“Not when I can already travel the in-betweens and spirit walking is part of my power set if you will.”

Taehyung ran a calming hand down her back as Jimin just stared at her while finally answering Jin’s question “She wants to call her grandparents back from the dead.”

“I never said that.”

“But you thought it.”

“No” she said with a shake of her head “I thought about talking to my grandparents who happen to be dead. Never once did I think of trying to revive them which is what bringin’ someone back from the dead is.

They’ve been gone long enough that if I tried that; which is borderline witch craft and most definitely necromancy and as Kris would say ‘it’s not my style.’ Nor is it something that anyone should be dabbling in, I’d get demons in their place.”

“Can’t you just talk to your mom?” Jimin pleaded.

Shaye shook her head “If she knew anything she’d have told me by now. That and the fact that, that bastard didn’t do anything to her means; whatever runs in her family skipped her and lies dormant. And it’s not like I was going to do it today. I was just thinking through things.” She stormed off and they heard the door of her room slam shut.

NamJoon sighed “Tae can you?”

He raised his hands with a slight shake of his head before he slipped off the desk “Nope. Not my doing and ya’ll should probably let her calm down some.”

“Yoongi?”

He shook his head as well “What Tae said. Give her some space, it’ll be fine. I do however need to have a chat with ChimChim here” he rested a hand on Jimin’s shoulder.