In the sideline

New feelings

Lee Jong Suk’s Managers POV

Jong Suk has been standing around whole day looking wobbly.  He must be tired.  It has just been a few weeks and it gets a lot more grueling when the live shoot starts.

“Why are you looking so tired?  Sit down when you don’t have to shoot.”  I tell him gently. 

I am not really supposed to come near him when we are at the set.  He likes his independence.  He absolutely hates anyone interfering with his work.  So, I leave him alone.  Most of my time is spent in his van, handling phone calls and emailing while keeping an eye out in case he needs some help or trying to catch my eye.  Rest of the time, I lounge around chatting up the crew or anyone else that may be available. 

Are his ears getting red? 

“Why are you here?” he asks me.  That brat!  He has not changed a bit.  Same rudeness.  I am just used to him and he really is harmless.  I am quite fond of the boy and I know how much he relies on me.  So, I let it slide.  I forget he is 29 now.  For me, he will be the same boy that I met when he was 23.  He will never grow up.  I think I am the only one he feels comfortable with to abuse and throw his tantrums to.  He is like my family.  He needs at least one person who he can be like this with.

I sigh. 

“Sit down brat!” I tell him.

“You are a pain!” he complains.  But he sits and then winces.

“Why are you wincing?  Are you hurt?”

He turns completely red in the face and suddenly looks up.  Not towards me.  I follow his gaze.  It is Woo Bin.  I think he overhears us because I see Woo Bin’s smirk that he hides immediately looking away.

Oh dear lord! 

When? How? What?

Fear grips my heart. 

No.  No.  Not this.  Not now.  Not here. 

…..

I thought they were handling it well.  I had even felt bad for Woo Bin that day and had consoled him knowing fully well how hard this must be for him.  I was extra conscious whenever they were together and the moment it felt tense, I would intervene knowing Jong Suk wanted it that way.  But I was glad that they were dealing with it. 

When did I look away?

I should have known.  They were drinking last night.  I had come out when they both were missing from the party.  I had just come out to check on him just when Woo Bin had stormed inside looking really angry.  I was slightly alarmed and had found Jong Suk just sitting on the ground with his head in his hands.

I had asked him if he was okay and he had just sat there rocking gently.  Knowing their history, I knew something must have happened between them and I had just sat with him not saying anything. 

He had then told me that he was tired and was going up to his room.  Since he was back safe in his room and Woo Bin was back at the party, I had let my guard down and partied with everyone else.

That is when I had looked away.

…..

“Jesus Christ!  What the hell is wrong with you guys?”

I am extremely embarrassed myself and not sure where to look.

 “None of your business” he says.

“None of my business?” I ask him unbelievingly.  He must be kidding.

“If you continue Jong Suk, I am quitting” I tell him.

He looks at me in shock.  I don’t think it occurred to him that I would say that.  He has taken me for granted.  Not that I have ever minded that.  It has always felt nice to look after him and see him grow right in front of me.  I had missed him when he was in the military.  I was the one he always called when he could call.  But I was also the one that saw him break into pieces when they had to break up.  I was the one who helped him pick up those pieces.  I was the one that had to deal with his depression, his anxiety.  My heart had ached for him then.  I did not like seeing him that way.

It was extremely hard for him and it was just as hard for me to watch him.

I am not doing this with him again.

“It is just one time thing.  Forget it” he says.

Knowing how persistent Woo Bin has been, I don’t believe for a second this is temporary.  Knowing how Jong Suk looks at Woo Bin when he thinks no one is looking at him, I don’t believe this is temporary.

“Promise me” I tell him.

“I promise.  And don’t threaten me like that” he snaps.

His promise sounds empty to both of our ears.

I have a strong suspicion that I might just die of a heart attack.  If it is not the excessive drinking, excessive workload, it would surely be his love life.

I swear at them both.

Loudly too.  But only to his ears.

 “Stop ing around!” I tell him.  Literally. 

I hear him whisper a sorry. 

…..

I find Woo Bin in his van when his manager is not around.  I hate to play the villain here but someone has to put some sense into these boys. 

“Woo Bin, I am disappointed in you” I tell him.  I think I am sounding like a parent. 

“You should leave us alone” he tells me. 

“You know, if you were not doing this drama with Jong Suk, this would be the time I would punch you.”  I want to wipe that irritated look off his face.  “So, don’t test my patience.  I am the only person you guys have here who actually cares about you both”

“We will be careful.  I am sorry.” He immediately apologizes. 

He is a good boy.  I have always liked him.  I always thought he had a good head on his shoulders.  I was glad they were friends till I found out how good friends they were. 

Argh.  This situation just aggravates me.

“Jong Suk told me this is one time thing.  You have the same understanding right?”

“What?  He said it is one time thing?”  I see his face fall.

Well, at least this guy is honest about his feelings.  The other one is hiding behind his own bull.

“Yes, he said it is one time thing.  You need to honor that Woo Bin.  You know this is not good for either of you”

“Manger-im, please help us” he begs me.

As I said, my job will be the death of me.

“I told him I will quit if he continues.  I am telling you the same thing.  I will quit”

He is just as startled as Jong Suk. 

This is all just too sad.  I feel terrible just threatening them like this.  I don’t know what else I could possibly do.  I had helped them actively once I had learnt about them.  I was just happy to see Jong Suk going giddy, laughing and generally being the guy who was hopelessly in love.  I had indulged him in his happiness.  It did not matter who it was.  Look how that worked out!

So, if I have to play the villain this time, I just have to.  I tell myself to stay strong and not get swayed by these pained looks on both of their faces.

Damn them!

 “Manager-im, please help us.  Don’t leave us like this”

Today, I really hate my job.

“Stay away from him Woo Bin” I give him a final warning.

Who am I kidding?  I am hiding behind my own bull.

…..

So, now I have to watch both of them with eagle eyes. 

I will let them interact in the set.  I can’t possibly interfere.  I hope and trust that they will be careful.

I am going to sleep in Jong Suk’s room.

Even if he decides to murder me.  I just have to write a will.

…..