Movement of time

New feelings

Lee Jong Suk POV

There is only so much good luck that could be had.  It started to appear that we were running out of ours.

It all started with a fan taken photo of me and Woo Bin out sitting at a café.

We were both getting fed up for being careful all the time and we both pretended, it was just two friends going out so, what could be the big deal.  So, one day, we simply decided to boldly have a date outside.

We should have known it was a mistake.

We should at least have involved our manager so that there was at least some control over photographs and videos.

We did not.  Because we thought we were going out as friends.  We were both stupid and got careless again.

First came a grainy photograph by one fan and then a 30 second video of both of us laughing at something and the worst one was where Woo Bin dropped his guard for a brief moment and moved a hair strand that was falling on my forehead.

That photograph made most rounds and every tabloid picked it up and printed it.  Every fan reblogged it.  It had highest number of comments including a few that were pretty derogatory.  

Both of our agencies had to make statements by simply laughing at all the press and fan interest. 

Both of us got yelled at for being stupid.  They did not know we were in a relationship of any kind.  But everyone thought it was still a mistake considering neither of us had shown any interest in girls and fans were jumping to conclusion looking at the closeness we shared.

Just when we thought the storm had passed, a Woo Bin fan captured Woo Bin leaving my apartment complex in his gym cloths.  Again it was grainy but there was no doubt it was Woo Bin.

That was really the end of it.

Both of us and our agencies had to manage another round of public excitement and agencies simply told us we need to stop being seen in public if we are serious about our careers.  They also told us it was time to have our own scandals with girls.

This was probably the first time agencies actually pushed their stars to date publicly and almost insist on it.

We kept in touch on phone but we could not meet for the fear of being caught unawares.

There is only so much distance a relationship could handle.  We both knew where we were headed.  We kept the pretense of being cheerful for each other’s sake for almost three full months.

Our agencies made sure that our interviews never included questions about each other.  If any reporters asked anyway, we were both told to give stock answers.  “Both of us are busy with our careers and it is becoming very difficult to see each other.  We will always be best of friends wishing each other well.”

Then there was a final phone call from him saying that he will be publicly be seen with someone and that he is sorry.

I knew it had to happen.  I did not read the articles.  I did not want to know who it was he was going out with.  It did not matter.  I could despair in private but I had to smile and laugh in public.

After my drama, I acted in another movie and then I was off to Military.  I had no intention of dating anyone.

I did not think I would anticipate my military duty as much as I did.

The strict regimen of military, the friends I was able to make there helped me move on.

We did not keep in touch.

That was 3 years ago.

…….

I have been out of the military for about 4 months now.  Agency thinks my comeback should be with a drama instead of a movie.  I will start by playing a negative character with a past.  Then they told me who will be playing against me – the cop who chases the negative character.  Kim Woo Bin.

Because, this would be the best way to get fans on board again.

I have no grounds to refuse.  There is absolutely no rational reason that I can give them to either refuse the script or for working with him unless I disclose our relationship.  The script has been specially written keeping both of us in mind.  It switches the image of both of us, by me being the bad guy and him being the good guy.  It is a good script. 

I am lucky that my old manager comes back to manage me again.   I am very grateful to him.  He is the only one who understands what a disaster this could be personally to me.  I beg him with my eyes.

He argues on my behalf on why it may be a bad idea.  But all reasons sound lame.  They are wondering why is being so negative.  They ask me if we are not friends anymore.  I tell them we lost touch.  They don’t think that is good enough excuse.

Both agencies are extremely excited to pair us again.  They thing it is the magic formula that will be irresistible to fans.  The networks are excited.  Especially because it would also be his first comeback project after his military duty.

I had systematically avoided learning anything about him all this time.  But when you are a celebrity and everyone knows we are supposed to be the best friends, it is difficult to avoid some tidbits being known.  I knew he went to military one month after I did and he came back 3 months ago.  I could not miss that piece of news.

I wondered how he was doing, whether he was still dating that girl.  How it would feel to see him again.  I talked to myself endlessly.  I gave myself pep talk.  I told myself, I don’t feel that way for him anymore. 

I almost believed it.

……