A New Day.... In School

Only In My Dream

Mi Nam woke his sister up and told her to get ready for school.

"School?" Mi Nyu asked him absentmindedly.

"Ne," Mi Nam said to her, looking very puzzled. "Where else would we be?"

"Oh, but I thought you have band practices today," Mi Nyu said. 

"Of course, I will practice after class," Mi Nam said.

"No, no, not after class, but this morning," Mi Nyu argued childishly.

"What do you mean?"

"You're a member of a band, right Oppa?" Mi Nyu asked.

"Ne, I am a band member, but remember that I am also a student," Mi Nam explained. "What do you take me for? Some famous Hallyu rockstar?"

Mi Nyu bit her lips. She suddenly remembered that she was inside a dream.

"Ne, Oppa, I will get ready for school," she said humbly.

And so, both of them got ready and left. Their Aunt Mi Ja even instructed them to eat lunch well.

********

The students were coming in numbers in AN Godeunghakgyo, a school for, well, as the name describes, for high school students. ("Godeunghakgyo" means "high school.")

The twins staggered to climb the ramp as some ran using the stairs.

"Mi Nyu-ya, today is our test, so let's wish each other luck," he said to his twin with a wink.

"We can do it, Oppa," Mi Nyu said with a smile. "Hwaiting!"

They went inside the classroom together, since they were also classmates. They were very much intimidated with their classmates even if it was already the third week since the start of the school year. Eversince they were in middle school, they had been in the last section, and last year in their first year in high school, they were also in the last. However, since both of them worked hard and studied hard, they were accelerated to the first class in second year. Mi Nam had to work really hard since last year, since he joined the school band, AN Jell.

"Look, Oppa, our class president is burning his eyebrows again," Mi Nyu said.

"Ne, Tae Kyung-hyung sure is diligent," Mi Nam replied. "I guess we have to work really hard so that we could still be in the first section for next year."

They passed by Tae Kyung's alleged girlfriend, Yoo He Yi, who was sitting with her friends and discussing the lessons with them. When the class fairy saw the twins, she threw a scrunched paper at Mi Nyu, thus making the poor girl look back at her.

"Don't  think of even trying hard, my dear," the class bully said while her cohorts laughed. "Because Hwang Tae Kyung and I will still be at the top of the class."

Mi Nam frowned at her, then pulled Mi Nyu so that they could study for the test.

"Do not mind her, Mi Nyu-ya," he said. "When you are bullied, fight back. You are just too good, you know."

"Oppa, I don't like violence," she protested.

"Me neither, but if you have to fight, just do it," he told her.

Just then, the secretary of the class, Kang Shin Woo, passed them by. 

"Hyung, could you please explain this to me?" Mi Nam called out to his hyung.

Shin Woo smiled his heartwarming smile and sat in front of the twins.

"Please stop calling me 'hyung'," he said. "We are of the same age, and we are classmates."

Mi Nam protested as he shook his head. "But you are so good to me ever since we became friends long time ago. That is why I call you 'hyung'."

Shin Woo smiled at him, then at Mi Nyu, who looked at him with uneasiness.

"What's wrong, Mi Nyu-ya?" he asked.

Mi Nyu also knew that Shin Woo was the smart one in class, along with Tae Kyung and He Yi, and she thought that he was also snob like them. But that was not the only reason. Another reason why she was uncomfortable around Shin Woo would be explained.

"Nothing, Shin Woo-hyung," she murmured.

"Hyung, could you please explain to me about all these stuff about matrix?" Mi Nam asked.

And so, he had to explain to the twins. Mi Nyu listened hard, and tried to concentrate in listening instead of staring at Shin Woo. 

***

Flashback:

Shin Woo and Mi Nam had been childhood friends since elementary, and since then, Shin Woo had fancied Mi Nyu. But Mi Nyu was too innocent about love and crushes. And when they were in middle school, Shin Woo confessed to Mi Nyu, but she rejected him because she did not feel the same way. Of course, he was totally devastated, but he still remained by her side as her friend. Mi Nyu found it a  burden to still see Shin Woo in school. 

Also, due to her clueless nature, she had no idea that Shin Woo was always in the star students' class--Class A. That was why, when the twins were assigned to Class A in second grade in high school, Mi Nyu was shocked to see Shin Woo. Yet, she still respected him and was still kind to him despite rejecting him in the past.

*****

"Why are you looking at me like that, Mi Nyu-ya?" Shin Woo asked her, deadpan.

Mi Nyu woke up from her trance.

"Oh? Ah, joesonghamnida...." she apologized.

"Mi Nyu-ya, why are you so formal?' Mi Nam asked his twin. "It will sound like you are talking to Aunt Mi Ja. You can say 'mianhae', huh? Mianhae...."

"Ah, but Oppa, I just respect Shin Woo-hyung so much," she said. "I cannot help it."

Shin Woo let out a secret smile when she said that. Or was she simply saying that because she felt guilty?

"Shin Woo-hyung, sorry for staring at you...." Mi Nyu said as she pouted cutely.

The secretary ruffled her hair like he always did to her. Just then, the math teacher came in, and the students sat in rapt attention.

"Ah... Wang-seonsaengnim is such a killer in Math!" the class clown, Jeremy, whispered to Mi Nam, his seatmate.

Mi Nam shot a hot glare at Jeremy, because the half-British was always noisy.

"All right, class, get your pens ready," Wang-seonsaengnim said. "And remember, no calculators allowed."

Most of the students grumbled, and He Yi took delight in their misery. Tae Kyung rolled his eyeballs because he felt that he was a walking calculator, and he felt any math quiz was just a piece of cake. The math teacher started handing out test papers for the students to answer.

"All right, I will set my timer here, and when I say go, you answer, and stop when I tell you," she said fiercely.

Wang-ssaem pushed the button of her timer, and told them to start. He Yi rolled her eyeballs at the sight of her teacher. Wang-ssaem looked like a model, but she was the wicked math witch in the entire school.