Confusions

Only In My Dream

Mi Nyu woke up with tears falling down her eyes.

"Why am I feeling this way? And why Shin Woo-hyung all of a sudden?" she thought.

The room was still dark, and she checked her digital clock. 5:00 AM was written on the face.

"Oh... Why so early?" she thought as she staggered to the bathroom. 

Today will be another day of school work. Her students had mastered writing in script and dividing one-digit numbers, and today, they will be having a mastery exam. But she had been spacing out when she brushed her teeth. She could not forget her dream.

"Shin Woo-hyung kissed me in my dream," she said. "While he never kissed me for real. And I even wanted us to act as more than friends but less than lovers.... What got into me?"

She knew she was not that kind of person, but she did not know the rules of psychology, that dreams are sometimes the reenactment of the things of the day, some are visions of your subconscious wishes. If she knew that, she would have realized that she might have been secretly attracted to Shin Woo and would have wished to feel him kiss her.

She was very much surprised that, in her dream, she was feeling confused on whom to choose, when she knew that she would always love Tae Kyung. She was very much surprised too, that, in her dream, she was the one who seem to be courting Shin Woo instead.

"I am not that type of girl... but why am I dreaming that way?"

She did not know that, perhaps, she had been wanting to even give him a kiss, or that she might be too afraid to fall in love with him.

*********

She changed into her clothes, ready to begin the day. Then, her eyes settled on the figure of a man who was sipping his coffee in all fashionable poise. Her heartstrings began to be pulled, all over again.

"Shin Woo-hyung...."

Then, she shook her head. "Anio... I love Hyungnim, and I rejected Shin Woo-hyung already.... He is a friend... Just a friend...."

The last sentence was said with a sad and melancholic tone.

******

"All right, class, we will check your papers," Mi Nyu said to her African students.

The poor students were glad to have a kind teacher like her, and they treated everyday like it was a special holiday. Mi Nyu would bring food to her students, and when she taught them, they were always having some games so that the children will participate and remember what was taught. A game is one good way of retrieving information from the brain....

Finally, the students saw their test papers which their classmates checked. Most of them good high scores, but there were some that got very low scores. Mi Nyu knew how it felt to be a student with the lowest mark in class, because she had experienced it also in the convent. So, she set those students aside and held remedial classes.

That lunch time, she joined the nuns and the doctors for some short break after eating. One doctor was listening to his cellphone, and he was humming.

The tune was familiar, as he had been humming it the past few days already, like he was having the last song syndrome.

"Uisa-seonsaengnim, may I listen too?" she politely asked.

The doctor, who had become friends with her, gave her one earbud, and they listened to the song together.

"What's the title of the song?"

"Oh, this? This is a Japanese song, you see, and Kawada Mami is my favorite singer. Title of song's 'Akai Namida (Red Tears)'."

Mi Nyu forgot that this was one song in the dream. Nevertheless, she and the doctor listened to another song, which was sang by Ishida Yoko: Aka No Seijaku (Crimson Silence).

It was when she remembered that "Red Tears" was the song that she and Mi Nam listened to in the dream, and "Crimson Silence" made her remember the part of her dream wherein Shin Woo played it alone in the music room. Both songs also made her remember their first time to watch the sunset together and running around afterwards. Her heart was beating irregularly when she remembered those dreams.

"Gwaenchanhseumnikka?" the doctor asked her.

"Ah...ye..." she lied. "Gwaenchanhseumnida."

"Seonsaengnim, do you want to watch Kawada Mami's music video? She is super cool!" the doctor told her.

She nodded, and the doctor operated his cellphone. He opened a saved video, and both of them watched Kawada Mami's music video of the song "Joint."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetF9PVKqPM

"She is super cool, and the anime connected to her is super cool too!" the male doctor told her excitedly, like he was one true-blue otaku. "And I super, super love Shana!"

The doctor also showed her another MV of Kawada Mami, "Hishoku No Sora." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00c3a4IWQbU&feature=related).

"You reall love Shana," Mi Nyu said. "Uh, if you don't mind me asking, who is Shana?"

"Oh? You don't know Shakugan No Shana anime? But that was way back then..." the doctor explained as he searched for a picture of Shana.

"This is Shana," he explained. "And this is Yuji."

The doctor explained his hobby in detailed manner that Mi Nyu got confused. But one thing caught her attention.

"You know, Shana was one girl who only cared for the destruction of the Tomogara, and she did not care for Yuji, who, for her, was just a torch," he said. "Yet, most of the time, she ended up fighting for and saving the guy she used to hate."

"Used to hate?" Mi Nyu asked.

"Ne. She used to hate Yuji, but in the end, this damsel in shining armor fell for her man in distress," the doctor said.

"Jinjja? She is truly amazing. A girl saving a guy.... and falling in love with someone she used to hate..." Mi Nyu commented. 

The doctor was so absorbed in explaining about the complicated characters of the anime that he did not know that Mi Nyu's mind was preoccupied with some thoughts. She suddenly remembered a part of the dream about "Joint", where Shin Woo sang next to Kawada Mami, and he was being adored by millions of fangirls. She also remembered that, in the dream, Shin Woo liked Shana, but she did not understand why she dreamed of Shana, or where she had encountered Shana. Just when she saw the wallpaper of the doctor's phone did she remember that she once saw the pic.

"Oh... that is why it is so familiar," she thought.

*****************

That night, she was preparing for class lectures for the next day.

"I guess this is it," she thought as she yawned. "Time for bed again."

She said her prayers and thanked the Lord for the wonderful blessings she had received, and prayed for all the people that she loved, including her dear students.

After her prayer, she turned off the lights and crawled to her bed. Just then, she saw that the moonlight shone on her scrapbook photo album, and the first picture that her eyes recognized was that of Shin Woo. 

"Why am I feeling this way? Instead of feeling sorry for him and feeling a bit guilty, I feel... I feel my heart feeling for him...Eotteokhaji?" she asked. "Mother Superior, what to do?"

She got up and went over the album.

"You....are so...." she thought as she spoke to his picture.

And she brought her lips to his picture and kissed it for a long time. Then, she went back to her bed and went to sleep.