Hello Again

To All The Boys That I've Loved Before

" Oh my god ! That's horrible ! " Halla and Yuna shrieked after I explained the whole freakish scenario at the party . 

After the whole scene I saw that night , I just got to my feet numbly , trudged through the crowd of hypnotized people and found my way out . I was glad that I slowly could recognized my surroundings , it was downtown from the city...

I just took a taxi and headed straight to the cafe to work again ( midnight customers were always present...)

" It was nothing... " I shrugged . " I got back safely , so no harm done . "

" You could've gotten into a big mess , what if those drinks had drugs or something ? " Yuna scolded me , concerned.

" Some prince charming he was ..." Halla grumbled. " I can't believe we even liked him , or his band ! "

" Seokmin and Seungkwan are different , they're out of this issue . " I told them . " And Hoshi's just fine , they have nothing to do with this . "

" See ? " Yuna threw her hands up in the air . " I can't believe you're still denying the fact that he cheated on you , on your date ! "

" Technically we weren't dating . "

" But still , on your date ! " she was rabid. " And he lied to you about the whole thing and he almost got you into trouble , what a jerk ! "

" I say we stick up to him later , give him a piece of our minds ! " Halla agreed.

" No ! " I protested . " I know you're mad , but please don't do anything like that ! It won't change aything , it'll just make it worse. "

" Minju , for the love of god just stick up to yourself for once ! " Yuna nagged , frustrated . " We're your friends , at least let us help you ! "

" This doesn't need helping ! Please just listen to me this once , and don't do anything about this . "

Even if I was soft from the outside and looked all innocent and un-feisty , I could be pretty feisty if I wanted to . And Yuna and Halla knew very well that what I said was final . 

" Fine , but no more getting dates on your own . " Halla warned me . 

Yuna added and looked at me sternly . " Let us find some dates for you this time , it should be easy since you're already pretty . We promise to get one beofre prom , okay ? " 

I was a little annoyed with their effort , I didn't need some boyfriend at the moment . 

None of this would've happened if the letters didn't go missing.


I finally made a decision to stop finding those letters, and made a conclusion that Cupid had stolen the letters and caused me unwanted trouble .

Life had to go on , I had to forget about those letters once and for all . And what was the best solution ? Work . 

A whole lot of work and nagging from Mrs Son . 

I worked on the next weekend , non-stop . I woke up at four in the morning like I always did , put on my apron and chef coat and helped mostly in the kitchen . Everytime I finished washing three whole stacks of plates , five more came in . 

I was considerably close with the chef in the kitchen , I watched him cook some easy dishes . This was how I didn't starve to death here , I cooked some food myself and ate it in the kitchen . At least it was better than eating leftover maccaroni from scrapes of customers' dishes...

Not many knew I worked at a cafe , much less knew I lived in the attic . Only Yuna and Halla knew , pretty much no one else was aware of this. My eomma used to work here as a pianist , and rented the attic upstairs . So I was considerably lucky she settled everything , but everything changed after she left . 

I paid a lifetime debt to Mrs Son with working for eternity at the cafe .

It was a Saturday morning , so most people weren't out . I was appointed to serve morning coffee and waffles . I was doing okay until-

" Minju-yah ! " Mrs Son yelled my name . I was used to her shouts and humiliations , it was a good thing I was wearing an old sweater.

I came rushing out from the counter, my chef coat still on , my hair was literally a mess. 

" Yes ? " I asked nicely ,

" This man here ordered for an Americano , why didn't you take his order ? " she demanded . " I had to stop and take it instead ! "

Because it's your shop...

" I'm sorry-" I apologized and looked up-

It was Joshua Hong. 

He looked quite surprised , his eyes widened a little . It was the first time I saw him out of his school uniform . He was wearing a black woolen jumper and jeans , his Burberry watch and he looked pretty much the same .

" Hi. " he started off . " I didn't expect you to see you here . "

" Me too . " I replied , quite awkward . 

Mrs Son frowned at the scene , " Do you know each other ? How come you know someone like him ? " her eyes narrowed at me , her tone suspicious .

" Oh , we know each other from school , that's all . " Joshua assured her . I decided it was best not to go deeper into the subject .

" About your order ? " I cut in hastily . " Americano , right ? "

" Um , yes . " he played along with me and he turned to Mrs Son . " Madam , you wouldn't mind if I borrow her later ? "

Mrs Son looked mildly taken aback , but , " O-of course , sir . Her shift will be over after this , she's free afterwards . "

I rushed into the kitchen to prepare a cup of coffee for him , and came out within five minutes . He was still out in the dining room , now sitting on the stage and holding the guitar provided . 

I silently settled the coffee on his table and watched him strum the instrument on stage , he looked so focused I didn't want to interrupt him. When he was over , he realized I was watching .

" Sorry to make you wait . " he said . " I had to take a look at that guitar . "

" Is it any different ? " I asked out of curiousity .

" Well , it's a little damaged , I guess no one took care of it . " he shrugged . " I have one at home , and I can't even bare to put it on the floor . "

" Ohhh. " I nodded . " So here's your coffee . "

" Thanks . " he took a sip . " I didn't know you worked here . "

" More like I live here . " I murmured .

He frowned, " Wait , you live here ? "

Oh no , slip of the tongue... I wanted to take it all back , but somehow I couldn't infront of Joshua . I had to tell him...

I looked around for Mrs Son , she was still walking around .

" Can we talk about this outside after you finish the drink ? " I said , it was almost a whisper . 


I told him most of my story as we walked on the sidewalk , side by side . He was sure taller than me , my head reached barely reached his chin . 

" So that's pretty much my everyday life . " I concluded .

" Gosh , how come you didn't tell me ? " he confronted me , with that concerned face he always gave me . " I can see that woman doesn't treat you well ."

" Oh , well ..." I sighed. " I'm used to it . "

" Minju..." he stopped walking and faced me , it wasn't the look Yuna and Halla gave me when they were frustrated with my behaviour , he looked genuinely worried and patient. " You can't always just not care how people treat you , that's not how it works . "

" Joshua-"

" Now that I know you're staying here , I'm not gonna let anyone , much less that old hag do anything to you . " he said . " Trust me . "

I was already smiling because of his effort . " I trust you to do that , but I don't want to burden you . I'll be fine , that's why the less people know about this , the better . They would overreact . "

" I'm not overreacting , I'm serious . "

I just smiled , " And I'm serious , I'm fine . "

He shook his head , " My mom wouldn't think so , she's all about rights and mistreatment . "

" What's her job ? "

" Activist , donor , volunteer and whatnot . My family's full of those people , there's no wonder she married my dad , he's a doctor . But that's doesn't matter , off topic rambling... Again , I'm not going to let you get mistreated . "

" It's hopeless , you can't do anything . "

" Oh , really ? "


He was just as stubborn as me , I found out . 

The next day , he came again . I was serving tea by the counter when he showed up . 

" Hello again . " he said grinning . 

" May I take your order ? "

" Actually , " he looked oddly superior . " I'm the musician tonight . "

I nearly dropped the glass, " What ?! "

He patted the guitar slung on his back , " I had a nice chat with the boss , I signed a contract . I'll be playing on weekends only , until 10 p.m."

" Wow . " was all I could say.

" I'm sorry if I did it without thinking of you... " he looked at little embarrased. 

" Sorry ? This is great , Joshua ! " I exclaimed . " How could I be mad at you when you're this nice to me ? "

He started to smile again , " You really think so ? "

I was so happy I could've hugged him . " I'm so happy I could hug you right now ! "

Why was I such an idiot to say that ?