Lemonade Mouth

To All The Boys That I've Loved Before

Indeed, someone was knocking on the front door. I followed Joshua from behind. When we were already at the front door, the person outside was still pressing the door bell non-stop. I figured it must've been some more neighbours, then Joshua opened the door.

It turned out it wasn't one, but four figures wearing masks, covering the faces. At first, I thought they were smugglers or something. I glanced anxiously at Joshua, but his frown was slowly turning into a smile.

Can you see me ? Cause I'm right here..." one of the them started singing in a muffled voice. " Can you listen ? Cause I'm tryna make you notice..."

" What it would mean to me, to feel like somebody..." Joshua slowly continued from where the masked figure stopped singing, it was like he was finally understanding the whole situation. " I know it's you, Teddy. " he said, grinning.

" WOHOO ! " and all of them took of their masks. " We totally missed you ! "

Standing infront of the doorway, were four teenagers. A girl with blonde hair, another girl with darker skin and brown hair, a tall boy who was wearing a beanie and a girl that looked very much asian. I was utterly confused, but I had good feeling they were people Joshua knew. They immediately threw themseleves towards Joshua and they were already hugging each other.

" Wemissedyouwemissedyouwemissedyou ! " they kept saying non-stop. " We thought you weren't coming back ! "

Joshua laughed as he was in their embrace, " I missed you guys too, even though I come every year. It's so good to see all of you again ! " 

" We wanted to surprise you ! " the blonde girl exclaimed. " So did our plan work ? "

Joshua laughed, " It sure did. " 

They had to be close friends with Joshua to do all that for him. To be honest, I felt like a stranger there. Actually, I really wanted to slowly drift away and not interrupt them. But Joshua noticed I was still standing behind him, awkardly putting my hands behind my back.

" Minju, where're you're going ? " he quirked.

" Huh? Um, nowhere ! " I stammered, out of both awkardness and surprise. He caught me off guard.

" Come on, I wanna introduce you. " he gently pulled my hand towards him. " This here, is Jeon Minju. "

I tried to make comfortable eye contact with his friends, so I looked up. All of them were definitely smiling, bearing their pearly whites.

" HI ! " all of them greeted me cheerfully. 

" Hi..." I managed a smile, thanks to their positive spirit I managed to calm down a little. 

" Teddy, Teddy Horan. " the blonde girl waved at me. " Nice to meet you ! "

" Hey, name's Brooklynn Jacob." the guy winked at me, and Teddy swated his arm. " Ouch ! But everyone calls me Brook. "

The asian girl smiled and shook my hand, " Annyeong, yeah I'm Korean too . " she had a really perfect smile. " It's great to meet you, Minju. I'm Lara Lee. "

" Minju. " I shook her hand back. 

" Izyana,, but I go by Izzy. " the girl with olive skin greeted.

" And I thought you didn't even know how to flirt. " Teddy said sarcastically to Joshua. " But BOOM ! You already have a girl at your side! "

" I didn't know you had it in you, Josh . " Brook smirked. " And she's one hot honey bunny. "

" Oh my gawd, I thought I told you for the millionth time that saying ' honey bunny' sounds so like a ! " Lara groaned. " It's disgusting, Brook . Now look what you've done, you just made her think we're a bunch of weirdos ! "

" Woah, relax guys. " Joshua told them, his arms crossed. He put an arm around me, I didn't know whether that was intentional to show that we were nothing else but friends...or anything I wished wasn't that... " First of all, you really need to stop calling every girl a honey bunny, Brook. It's not gonna make you any more attractive. And two, Minju and I are just friends. Nothing else. "

Nothing else? " Teddy teased us and slowly nodded. " We'll see, we'll see. "

Izzy put her hands on her waist all bossy, " Well, aren't you gonna welcome us into your heartfelt household ? Or are you gonna make us stand here all day ? ".

" Woops, come on in ! " and they all laughed as Joshua gave way to let them in. I didn't know how did I get involved in this, but soon all six of us were walking to the backyard shoulder to shoulder.

" And what do you mean I'm not good looking ? " Brook asked. " I'm fricking HANDSOME ! "


I found out that Teddy was Carrie's daughter, that explained why they looked exactly alike. Lara's mom married her dad and moved to New Zealand, she couldn't read Korean but she spoke it at home. Izzy was Martelle's daughter, they lived a few blocks away from Joshua's house and as expected, Brook was Bonnie's son , they lived next door.

" Can I just shay your mom makes the best shushi ? " Brook said with a mouthful. " Ommergawd, this ish shooo good ! "

" Technically, it's called kimbap. " Joshua corrected him. " Sushi is Japanese. "

" Who care's? This is heaven ! " and he took another piece of kimbap before he even swallowed the other two in his mouth. 

Joshua rolled his eyes, I just managed to laugh a little. I think he noticed, since he glanced at me and smiled a little. All of us were in the backyard patio, while the grown-ups prepared the food. The mom's were cooking in the kitchen and the dad's were busy with the grill. I noticed all of their parent's were somehow friends and not just their kids. 

" Mm-hmm ! Perfecto ! " Brook stuffed another kimbap. 

Lara wrinkled her nose, " Don't bite more than you can swallow, Brook. I guess you've heard of that saying. "

Brook swallowed it all down and chugged down a whole glass of lemonade. He puckered his lips, " Not in my dictionary, there isn't. " 

" Ugh ! You're hopeless !" Lara threw her hands up in the air. 

" How many did I eat ? " Brook asked.

Izzy raised her eyebrows, " There were twenty, we each ate one. You ate the rest, Brook. " 

Brook stood up and pumped his fist, " Wohoo! Broklynn Jacob's the king ! Nobody can beat him, not now not ever ! " 

All I did was just laugh until I had to catch my breath, my stomach was hurting by then. Teddy noticed me and grinned, " Are you okay, Minju ? " 

I nodded, " Is he always like that ? "

" It's just Brook being Brook. You'll get used to it. " she assured me.

Suddenly, Brook burped so loudly it was made all of us groan. " Ew, that's disgusting ! " the girls squirmed.

" Hey, not my fault ! " Brook protested. " It's a part of daily life, it's called burping ! It's not like girls don't do it ! "

" Not infront of everyone ! " Izzy swated her hand around her nose to ward away the stench. " You're unbelievable, Brook. "

Joshua chuckled, " You haven't changed a bit, Broklynn Jacob. "

" At least someone appreciates me ! " 

Suddenly Teddy held up the half-drunken glass of lemonade, she stared at it. She broke into a smile. " Remember when we were still all together ? Back in the good old days ? "

" Back when Lemonade Mouth was still around ? " Joshua asked, his eyes twinkling. " Those were the days. "

" What's that ? " I asked curiously.

" We used to be in a band together, all five of us. " Lara explained. " Before Joshua had to move to Korea. "

" We won our last trophy the week before he moved, man was that awesome. " Teddy remarked and sighed. " I was the vocalist, Brook was the drummer, Lara was the pianist and Josh and Izzy were the guitarists. "

" That song Teddy sang at the doorway, " Joshua said. " That was the last song we performed together, it took us half a year to piece it together. All the hard work was worth it, we were thirteen. "

I remembered that was the year Joshua transfered to my school, where we met. It occured to me, there were so many things I didn't know about Joshua, but he knew so much about me. All the friends he had here, how they were so much more closer than his friends back in Korea. How much did I not know about him ? 

" What if we brought the band back together ? " Brook suddenly said. " As long as Josh's still around. " 

" What if we performed like later, at dinner ? " Teddy added. " We can do it. "

" If we have our intsruments, and we still know how to play. " Lara said.

" Hmm, I think my mom kept the instruments in the attic. " Joshua said. " I'll go check. "

" I'll go with you . " and both Joshua and Brook headed to the attic.


" What on earth are those kids doing outside? " Mr Horan asked as he came in to take out the kimchi and ddeubokki. " They've been at it at those instruments half an hour ago ! "

" Let them be, it's been a year since they've seen each other. " Mr Hong chuckled. 

" How's Joshua in his school ? " Bonnie asked as she fried the patties. " Back before you moved, the teacher always said he was ahead of other's in his class. I heard he has a photographic memory. "

" Oh, that's over the top. " Mrs Hong said. " He just has a good memory. " 

" He's smart, he can play instruments, he has wonderful manners , and a charming face at that. " Carrie praised. " You raised him well, Solji. "

" All and all, but he has one thing that I don't like. " Mrs Hong sighed. " And that's staying cooped up in that library, I'm trying to get him into the sun for a while ! "

Izzy's dad chortled, " Don't push him, boys will always go out in the sun. Look at Brooklynn, skinny as a stick five years ago. Now look where he's at, star player in rugby and basketball, with all that muscle ! "

" Huh, we'll have to wait for that.." 

" So are you waiting for him to finish high school before you have any future plans? " Hyojin asked. " Are you planning to let him study abroad or just around ? "

" Well, we've already decided. I mean, the teachers had a nice talk with us and said that Joshua was above average performance than his grade. She suggested he applied for college now, so he won't be graduating next year. "

" Is that so ? That's wonderful, but are you sure Joshua wouldn't any thoughts about it ? "

" The thing is, we did ask him, and he didn't mind. " Mr Hong said.

During that whole time, I was listening from behind the curtains. 

Why didn't Joshua tell me he wasn't graduating next year ?