Mr Airplane

To All The Boys That I've Loved Before

" Do you know how worried we were ?! " Halla and Yuna literally yelled through the phone. " We thought something happened to you ! "

" I'm A-okay guys !" I assured them.

" You're lying again ! " Yuna exclaimed. " Joshua told us everything, you could've died ! What are we here for ? It's like we're not even friends ! "

" You could've told us your depression was taking over you again! I almost fainted when I heard about you ! " Halla was close to crying. " I feel so betrayed ! "

" I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but trust me, I'm totally fine now ! " I said. " I'm at Joshua's , I'll be here until summer's over. You don't have to worry about me, his family's super nice. "

" We don't know Joshua Hong very well, I don't know..." Yuna hesitated.

" But I know him very well, and I trust him. I'll see you when summer's over, okay ? "

" We'll visit if you need us to, Minju. We both love you, remember that. "

" I know."

" Okay, bye . " and with that they ended the call. 

I sat on the couch as I chatted on the house phone, Halla and Yuna were the people that came into my mind. So I dialled Yuna's number, she picked up on the third diall. The call was over, I just sat there without anything to do . 

" Hey . " Joshua hopped onto the couch and sat beside me. " You look bored. "

I smiled slightly, " Maybe I'm just depressed again. " I clutched the plush cushion. " I told you I needed meds. " 

He looked at me again, his gaze looking hopeless. " Minju...You just need to keep trying. Nothing'll help if you keep on thinking you can't. "

I sighed, " Let's just hope I'll cheer up soon. "

" You will. " he put an arm around my shoulders. " We're going tomorrow, at least get excited about it. "

I looked at the ceiling, " What's Auckland like ? "

He thought for a second, " I used to think things were bound to get boring if you kept visiting the same place every year, Auckland's different. Well, for me. "

I was getting interested, " Why ? "

" It's on a hill, there's a little meadow at the back and it's like the countryside, only better. Everytime I visit, there's always something new that's gonna happen, you never know. Even I've been there, I still find it full of surprises. You- it's gonna be really special for you. " 

" Is it really that special ? " I was smiling.

" A special place built just for someone special- You. " he said without looking at me. 

The words hung in the air, and we were caught between space and time. I for one, was completely caught off guard. 

" Say that again, Joshua ? " I repeated, to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

" Er, nothing. " he chuckled. " I should go pack, and you should too. " and he went upstairs even I tried calling him from behind.

I never get what he thinks...


I walked on the streets on the way back from taking a stroll with Joshua near the beach . I was now sitting on top of the convertible . It was sunset. At least we spent our last evening there.

I felt bored and went walking by the beach while Joshua went to buy us drinks. I was barefeet as I walked on the sand, warm and nice. I had just finished packing and Mrs Hong told us to spend some time exploring the place while she prepared dinner. 

" Wohooooo ! " I heard howls and shouts from afar. " Sizzling hot man ! "

I squinted my eyes to see what was going on-

" Kiss her kis her kiss her ! " the whole crowd chanted as the two people kissed each other hard .

Wonwoo...

They were both literally stuck to each other like superglue, as if they were madly in love. I recognized the girl, she was Kim So Young of the cheerleading squad, the girl that hated me for no reason. It only mad me more harder to let that sink in, Wonwoo was betraying me with the very person I hated.

But I could never really hate someone...

I was on the verge of tears, and I hated myself for that. A knot was churning in my stomach. But I was generally a good person, and I rarely ever got mad. The best way for me to escape this torture- was to walk away silently. I turned slowly-

" Minju ? " Wonwoo called after me, when he realized I had seen everything.

I pursed my lips, not saying anything. I could feel him coming up to me, his body warmth was so present. 

" I- I didn't know you were here..." he said to me. 

" Well, now you know..." I struggled to say. 

" Minju, please look at me. " he pleaded. " At least just turn around. Minju-" he didn't wait for an answer and turned me around by grabbing my shoulders.

His eyes were red, he was crying. " I'm so sorry , what I did the other day. I should've gone back to you. "

" Why apologize now ? " I swallowed down my tears. " When we can't do anything to solve this ? And now I see you getting all comfortable with some other girl, congratulations. "

" So this is my fault ? " he hissed, he was getting angry. " Well sorry, but I never wanted this . "

" Do you think I deserved this ?! Well for your information, I was crying when I knew, I WAS CRYING . " 

" What was I supposed to do ? Weep and rot ? " he snapped. " Nothing will change even after we cry a river, why not stop now ? For god's sake, what do you expect me to do ? Torture myself like you do ? " 

His words were like knives cutting through my flesh. How could he ?

" How could you say that to me ? " I was already crying. " You know I have depression , Wonwoo ! You know I needed meds ! It's not like you don't know, how could you say that to me ?! "

" It's not my fault you can't control your feelings ! " he yelled. " It's not my fault your oh-so important mommy died and forgot to tell you that she was a faamily ruiner and it was her fault we're related !"

I slapped him, hard. There was an insanely loud crack, and a red mark was slowly surfacing on his cheek. I wasn't sad anymore, but angry, no one insults my mother. 

" Take. That. Back. " I warned him. " Just shut up ! "

He was silent, I knew what that meant. All this time, I was crying over something that wasn't worth my tears. I was an idiot to get heartbroken by someone that seemed like trash now. Maybe I was mad that Wonwoo didn't even try to say something to me after we both found out. Maybe because he wasn't sharing the same sadness I had felt, the same amount of tears. Or maybe I was just angry that he had already moved on and I hadn't.

" If you're concerned that I won't move on, then I am now. Because I don't have a single happy memory with you. " I said.

Wonwoo looked away, I kept talking. " Do you know why ? Because your cruelty already made me forget them all. I won't tie you down, and I'm happy that you've found someone else. "

" Minju-"

" Now I'll forget you ever existed in my life, and I'll try my best to not be a reminder to you. " and I my heel and walked away.

I had no regrets.


" Yay, vacation here we come ! " Jane hooted as we entered the airport . 

" Huh, this girl..." Mrs Hong sighed hopelessly. " It's like she's never seen the world before. "

I laughed. Jane really did seem enthusiastic about the trip . I mean, she spent the whole night picking out the outfits she was going to bring, and we almost ran late because she couldn't choose what to wear to the airport. I was having fun watching her.

She was wearing a burette and a cream trenchcoat with low heels, for some reason she looked older than me in that outfit. Jane picked out my clothes even though I rejected it at first. I wore a blue blouse tucked into a teal miniskirt and bow flats. My hair was up in a ponytail.

" You look better with your hair down. " Joshua told me. " Just a personal taste. It makes you look older. "

I raised an eyebrow. " So you prefer older girls ? "

He chuckled, " Anyway you think of it, then. It depends actually. " he said while dragging his luggage. " You didn't talk much yesterday, everything okay ? "

He didn't know I met Wonwoo yesterday, I intended not to tell him. Something's were better kept a secret, I could trust Joshua, but I knew he would get all concerned again. I didn't want to ruin the trip, I wanted everyone to be happy.

" Oh, I was just feeling tired. " I lied. " Nothing to worry about. "

" Hmm, if you say so. "

We boarded the flight, and I sat next to Jane. Mr and Mrs Hong sat behind us and Joshua sat oposite us at the right side. I glanced once in a while at him, he always looked like such a gentleman. Today, he had a black sweater and plain blue jeans, his Burberry watch and converses. 

The flight was a long eleven hours, that meant plenty of time before we landed. Hour one, Jane was still hyper and kept on talking about all the facsinating places in Auckland, and what she was planning to do. I found out they had plenty of friends there, and they all missed each other. I was hoping to meet them too. 

When evening fell, things were starting to get quiet. Jane had already fallen asleep from all the talking, and Mr and Mrs Hong were already eating their dinner. I wasn't hungry, and I was bored. I stared out the window, my side of the airplane was less eye-catching and surrounded by clouds . I couldn't deny it was beautiful,but I soon got tired of it . 

I looked at Joshua again, he was reading and had earphones stuffed in his ears. I know I was interrupting his tranquility, but I moved over to his side. 

" Am I interrupting ? " I whispered.

" Not at all. " he shook his head. " It's okay, no one's sitting here. "

I shifted to sit next to him, and glanced out the window. This side of the plane was indeed more beautiful, I could see the orange sunset outlining the clouds and from afar there were stars slowly emerging. 

" It's so beautiful..." I breathed. " This would be perfect for a candlelight dinner. "

He smiled, " You like things like that ? " 

I smiled a little, " Actually, I'm a hopeless romantic. Not many know. "

He seemed mildly surprised, " I didn't know... Well, I'm honored to know. "

I laughed, and looked at the book he was reading. It bore the title : MR AIRPLANE.

" What's the story about ? " I asked out of curiosity. " That's an interesting title. "

He carassed the title of the novel, the cover featured the image outside the airport during the sunset, it was vintage and beautiful.

" It's about a love triangle between two boys and a girl. " he said. " And three of them are best friends, but the two boys keep fighting for the girl's love. Only both of them don't know that the girl has plans after they graduate. "

" And then ? "

" She boards a plane to Paris to study abroad, and the two boys try to catch her at the airport but it's too late. She's already gone. " 

" What's the ending ? " I quickly asked, I always enjoy a nice love story.

He passes the book to me, " That, you'll have to find out yourself. I've read it before, I know you'll like it since you're a hopeless romantic. I loved the story, I hope you'll like it too. "

I clutched the book tenderly, it had no folds or scratches, I had to take care of it . 

" Wow, thanks Joshua. I'll read it. " I said.

" Your welcome. " and he looked out the window with me . " Airports. They always leave sad memory, where you have to leave something behind."

" Not exactly, not all the time. " I said.

Because this time, airports meant a happy memory to me.

 

P.s. Hey ! Sorry for such long updates! I have school and stuff but finally exams are over ( MANSAE ! ) I just hope I'll get better grades...^^ So here's the new chapter, and I hope you enjoy it. Try to spot what song was I hinting in this chapter, the song for that music video is fricking awesome ( I hope you know what I'm talking about, hehehe) and leave your guesses in the comments section below ! Because the next chapter has a snippet for the book Joshua and Minju were talking about ! Kudos to you for guessing it right ! 

The prize ? I might be doing a one-shot about the story of MR AIPLANE ! Saranghaeyo !