Ready Or Not ?

To All The Boys That I've Loved Before

The next day, both Joshua and I woke up early. I had to go through the whole closet to find a decent outfit so no one would call me ' Pretty Two- shoes ' . That morning, I threw on a long-sleeved loose black top and a dark blue skirt. For good measure, I asked Jane to do something about my hair from getting messy later in the day. She did a dutch fishtail ponytail, whatever that meant...

I had to say, she was a way better stylist than me. All I knew what to do with my hair was a ponytail, a really messy braid or just a knot. She. Was. Amazing. I felt like I wasn't going for an outdoor activity, but prom...

It was too bad she had Joshua as her brother, I could see she really wanted a sister to be beside her. That was why she was so eager at dolling me up. So there I sat infront of the dressing mirror as she was completing the look for my hair.

" And later we'll add some foundation on your skin, I really think you'd look great with dark eyeshadow. " she said as she braided my hair. 

" There's no need for that ! " I protested. " We won't be attending parties, Jane. It's just a fun activity ! "

" Well, at least you have to look pretty all the time. Not that you're not pretty, unni ! " she said hastily.

" Jane..." I took her hands. " True beauty isn't how much makeup you put on, or how much you try to cover your flaws. True beauty is when you're being yourself. " 

She thought about it for a second, " Hmm, maybe you're right. " 

I smiled and squeezed her hand, " Atta girl. " 

She sighed, " Hmm, I wish I had a sister. Then she can look out for me all the time and give me advice..."

" I'm sure your brother cares about you just as much. " I told you. " From what I see, he's always looking out for you. "

She rolled her eyes, " Hardly. "

" He's your brother, and he won't completely understand how you feel, but he's trying all the time. Just go easy on him. "

" You like him, don't you unni ? " she suddenly asked me.

I fell quiet, " Well, in the sense of friends of course. " I answered. " Of course I do, Jane ! "

A smile was dangling at the corner of , " Okay then, we'll see soon. "

There was a knock on the door, but Joshua already opened it without permission. " Hello ? "

" Have you ever heard of knocking ? " Jane screamed. 

He shrugged, " You two were taking forever." he looked at us from head to toe. " Huh, I should've guessed it, dolling Minju up again, aren't you ? "

" At least I'm not putting lipstick on you ! " Jane stamped her feet. " Minju unni's not complaining. "

I just chuckled and gave Joshua a sympathetic smile, it's okay, I gave him a sign. He simply rolled his eyes, and left the room.

" I'll be downstairs ! " he said on the way down.

Jane did my hair for another three minutes and we both went downstairs. Joshua was sitting on the sofa, talking on his phone. Today, he was wearing a black varsity jacket, faded jeans and high tops. 

" I'll pick you guys up, meet us at the park. " he said throught the phone. " Yeah, Skrooge Park. The one we used to play at when we were kids. Yep, see you there."

" Who was that ? " I asked as I walked towards him. 

" Brook." he answered. " They're waiting at the park near the neighbourhood. C'mon, let's go ! " 

I nodded and he went to get the car. 


You might be curious what was the whole deal with us getting this hyped up ? It started like this, Joshua and I were lounging in the living room the other day when suddenly Brook sent a picture to him :

 COLOUR YOUR LIFE SCAVENGER HUNT ♦

⇒ Venue :  ST HELIERS SUBURBS ( CENTRAL AUCKLAND )
⇒ Date      :  23/6/15
⇒ Time     :  8 : 00 a.m.

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ?! GATHER YOUR FRIENDS AND HAVE A BLAST FOR ONE DAY AROUND WONDERFUL AUCKLAND AND SAVE THE MEMORIES OF A LIFETIME ! 

" So, interested ? " Brook asked us through the phone.

" Hold on, let me put you on loudspeaker. " and Joshua settled the phone on the table. " A scavenger hunt ? "

" Yeah, it's tomorrow ! " he said. " The girls are psyched about it, and we really hope you're coming too ! "

" I think it sounds like a good idea. " I told him. " I mean, it should be lots of fun ! "

" You can come too, Minju. " Brook offered. " It'll be great to get to know you more ! " 

" Gosh, really ? " I asked . " I woudn't want to be the lighbulb while you're having fun..."

" The more the merrier ! " he beamed. " So what dya' say , Josh ? "

" I'm in. " he answered. " So we'll see you tomorrow ? " 

" Yup, see you. "


That was how it happened to be, and now all of us were already in Joshua's car. With Brook taking the passenger's seat up front, all the girls had to squeez in at the back. 

" I brought breakfast ! " I said, taking out the self-packed lunch boxes from yesterday's breakfast leftovers. " Eat up before we get there! "

I handed each of them their food, and they stared in fascination, " Oh my god, this looks delicious ! "

I packed waffles, bacon and eggs for them. And all of them had a bottle of banana smoothie. To be honest, I was pretty proud of my own handiwork. 

They all took a bite, their faces looked like they were having a feast of a lifetime. Especially Brook. " Seriously, this is better than your mom's kimbap, Josh. " he swallowed . " Yo, if you and Minju get married someday, you'd have to be the luckiest guy on earth. "

I flushed pink in the cheeks, I felt so embarassed. Joshua was speechless too, I could relate to that. Then again, did he feel ashamed about Brook talking about the possiblities of us getting......married? But pfft ! Of course it'd be awkward talking about marriage, when we weren't even dating.

Why does that make feel disappointed ?

Anyway, we finally reached St Heliers suburbs, where there was already a crowd of people waiting. We raced there, where the organizers were calling out to everyone with megaphones.

" All right, is everyone here ? " they asked throught the megaphone. 

" Here, here ! " Brook waved his hands wildly so they could see us.

" Ah ! " they checked the list. " Are you ' Help Us Find A Name ' ? "

" Yessir ! Up and forward ! " he pumped his chest. 

" Then great ! EVERYONE'S HERE ! " the woman picked up the volume of her voice. " So welcome to the beautiful Auckland where everyone calls home ! "

We all cheered and clapped. " So here's what's gonna be happening. Each team will be given a to-do list on all the things you have to do throughout the whole hunt. Everytime you accomplish a mission, you'll get a colour bomb. And remember to gather here at 12 midnight, sharp ! "

Now that sounded like a real adventure, and it suited the weather and mood for today. Brook, obviously was the first to respond and whooped like a gorrilla, in which everyone followed.

" Now that sounds like real fun, but too bad I won't be doing it. You guys will, ARE YOU READY OR NOT ?! "

" YEAH ! " we all replied.

" Then LET'S GET STARTED ! " with the blow of the whistle, we all ran to our cars.