You Are The Only Exception

To All The Boys That I've Loved Before

I was so miserable I couldn't bring myself to cry . I beg the person , whoever stole my letters, please give them back , I'm suffering the most . I swear , I never meant any of this to happen to Yuna and me , I already gave up on Mingyu , don't ruin our friendship now...

I admit , it was my fault that I wrote those letters , I never should have written any of them... I walked back home , with heavy footsteps all the way back to the cafe . It was soon raining , I didn't find shelter and let myself get soaked . My wish was not this , I wanted just a chance to fix things , have a better life , not this disaster. What did I do to earn this ?

Mrs Son yelled at me to get to work , but I ignored her and walked into my room . I didn't have a lot of stuff , but I never really took my time to take a closer look at everything in there.

I cleaned up , for no reason. My small tattered closet contained a cheap jacket that never kept me warm , a few pairs of washed out jeans , old shirts and my only pair of shoes , three-year-old chuck taylors . Some notes for exam stuck on my small mirror , I tore them off. My nightstand had one single photograph of me and my mom before she died . 

Beside it was the jewlery box .

Anger was bubbling inside me , something I never felt before . Without thinking , I took the box and threw it on the ground , it dropped with a loud clank . It didn't break , but I did . I collapsed onto the ground , and sat crouched on the spot . My head was in my hands , frustrated . 

What did I do to deserve this ? What was I gonna do ? Yuna and I had been best friends for as long as I can remember , how could this mess up everything ? I was happy Mingyu asked Yuna out , I mean she deserved it . Falling in love was not a mistake , it was a choice . I chose to forget about the past , but it came taking over my life right now .

I stared at the box lying beside me , it was still perfectly intact .

I couldn't keep staying moody and sulk in my room , I wasn't like other girls that had time to do that . I forced myself into the kitchen and got to work . I was on duty to cook the soup , as I did so-

" Arghh ! " I gasped , the laddle clattered to the ground.

My skin of my right hand was truning raw red , the cook dashed to my aid . " Run it over the tap , quickly ! "

I opened the tap , and rinsed my burn under the cold flowing water , holding back my pain . It didn't get worse and I quickly wrapped it with a simple bandage . I bit my lip to stop myself from crying.

I was not crying....I was not crying...


Yuna and Halla didn't save seats for me , I expected that . Still , I was pretty heartbroken that they ditched me . The problem was , all the seats were taken . I stood there like an idiot .

Someone brushed shoulders with me , and made me jump a little . It was Joshua again , we looked at each other for a while .

" No place to sit ? " he whispered to me . I shook my head , and he beckoned me to follow him. 

He headed to the back part of the bus and slid into a seat , and patted the empty one beside him . 

" Isn't someone else sitting here ? " I asked.

" Nah , I usually sit alone . But I always say this seat is occupied . " he answered.

" Isn't that sort of lying ? " my mood was cheering up a little .

" No , I save it for anyone that doesn't have a seat . " he replied cheekily . 

I grinned and sat beside him , our shoulders touching. The thing was , I didn't know what to say to him . Thank you ? I couldn't be more grateful ? Tell him everything ? He didn't really bother too , and his ears were stuffed with his earphones while reading a book .

So there I was , peering at his book reading silently with him , trying to catch up with where he was reading everytime he flipped a page . It was a little awkward , since I didn't get the story ( I was reading half-way ahead from the beginning...) , from what I read , there were dreams and fighting and romance for the three chapters we both got through before he closed his book and looked at me curiously.

" You can tell me if you want to read . " he said kindly.

I smiled faintly , " I'm not , I was being nosy . Go ahead and read . "

He nodded and continued to read , but now slowly he pulled the book to the middle to let me read along with him . I didn't reject it , I smiled and read , even though our shoulders were obviously touching . 

I felt something being stuffed into my left ear , I glanced . Joshua had shared one side of his earphones with me , his mp3 was playing a song with an unknown language , Japanese maybe ?

We stayed that way until we reached school , we even walked to our lockers together . 

It was the most cheerful thing that happened to me for ages.


It did not go as I wanted it to as I actually forgotten that I had Wonwoo today , eottoke ! I barely thought about what Wonwoo told me exactly a few days ago , but how was I supposed to care about something like that when a million other things were going through my mind ?

I sat a little further away from him this time , to prevent him from asking questions . It didn't last long .

He cleared his throat , " Um , do you have a answer yet ? " 

" N-not yet." I said awkwardly. 

" Oh, that's okay . " his tone was disappointed . " Hey , could you pass me your homework ?"

" Here . " I passed my book to him , like we always did , only I didn't snap back playful comments.

I stared at the ceiling , not knowing what to say , bitting the inner part of my mouth . After a few minutes , Wonwoo passed the book back to me . I sighed and flipped open my book . There was something slipped between the pages-

A letter , I took a look at it .

Dear Minju ,

                  I understand , and expected that you wouldn't have an answer straight away ; but I'm dying to tell you something . I LIKE YOU , or more than that . Please , just hear me out . The truth is , I was not ready to say how much I like you out loud , and how many times I wished the periods in this class would never end . It would be so tempting to just experience one wonderful moment with you and relive it over and over again , because I feel like every moment I spend with you is wonderful and fantastic. I might be the Jeon Wonwoo that is outgoing and clumsy and keeps copying down your homework , but you have no idea how I wish I wouldn't act the way I am . Oh , how I wish I wouldn't just throw jokes at you and make you laugh when what I really want is for you to notice my feelings for you . Minju , you're not the most beautiful or hottest person I've met . Heck , they're plenty of good looking people everywhere , that doesn't make them more interesting or cool or attractive . You're one of the exceptions , and I swear to God that you're beautiful , not the best , but perfect to me. Looks like I replied to your letter , and I hope I can get answers from you . Because , I don't want to be an idiot again and ignore the fact that I like you , because I do.

                                                                                                                                                                                   Wonwoo .

I didn't give an answer , and I just read the letter again and again , understanding everything Wonwoo wrote . So I wasn't the only one that had feelings for him , he had the same insecurities . Who cared about that freaking love letter ? He had replied to me , in the most sweetest way possible and now I was hesitating ? 

There was a really big reason why I was like that . Choi Seungcheol , I thought that we could have something , but there was hardly a spark between us . Yoon Jeonghan , I almost fell for him ; and ultimately plunged into the biggest lie ever , the joke was on me the whole time . It was the first time I experienced someone cheating on me ( sort of...) . 

And there was Kim Mingyu . I wasn't that I still had a crush on him , but how a relationship can ruin a good friendship . Yuna and I were inseperable  and now I was just a person she used to hang out with , that was how loving someone could be scary .

As for Wonwoo , I trusted him . But there was this block in my mind that stopped me from accepting another relationship . Do you know what's like to like someone so much and you're scared that they won't ever feel the same way ?

But now he admitted it , why was I still scared ?


I dashed out the hallway before Wonwoo could stop me . I was speed-walking like crazy , avoiding eye contact . Just when I was finally relieved I didn't have to face him , someone grabbed my wrist .

" Hey ! " I yelped .

" Hide and seek's over . " Yoon Jeonghan said to me , with a sly smirk . " Got you . "

" What d'you want ? " I demanded . 

" Thanks for ditching me that night , I had to pay for both of us ! "

" That's your problem . " I snapped . " Let go of me ! "

" Fat chance , I got carried away that night . Don't blame me for getting caught up with a bunch of girls , blame them ! "

" You're unbelievable , now let me go ! " I yanked my hand away . 

" Let go of her ! "

I didn't know what happened afterwards , but I had escaped Jeonghan's grip . I could hear a series of gasps and and chants saying " Fight ! Fight! ". It took me a while before realizing a fight had erupted in the hallway .

Wonwoo had punched Jeonghan in the face and he was now bleeding violently on his nose . Wonwoo wasn't any better , he got a bruise on his lip and cheek , the fight was getting more violent . 

" Stop ! " I was screaming , but they weren't listening. 

The vice principle and the homeroom teacher had to pull them both apart to stop them fighting each other . Wonwoo had glared at Jeonghan who was getting pulled to the hospital wing along with him . In my mind , I was dreading what was going to happen next.

Jeonghan got hung up from school for three days , luckily Wonwoo only got detention since the eye-witnesses had told the truth . That was that , and I raced to the hospital wing from behind .

Jeonghan was brought home , but Wonwoo was still there on the bed .

" Still here ? " I asked as I came in . 

He looked startled and tried to get up . " I-"

" Don't . " I immediately told him , and he sat down again. " Have you applied medicine yet ? "

He showed the cotton buds and anticeptic in his hands . " I was going to . "

I sat beside him and took the cotton buds and anticeptic from his hands . " I'll do it , sit still."

He didn't object and just sat silently as I dabbed anticeptic onto his bruises , wincing once in a while . As soon as the pain faded away , he resumed to his intense stare at me , those soulless eyes...

" Why do you have to be so stupid sometimes ? " I said out of the blue . " Look what you've gotten into , you're injured now ."

Funny thing was , he smiled . " I wouldn't bother if it hurt , I don't want you getting hurt . "

I was doing my best not to blush , I was actually mad at him, " Try using your head first next time , you're such an idiot I just want to-"

He grabbed hold of my arm , and it was like time was frozen . His grip wasn't strong , but it was like a hundred shockwaves went through my veins.

" Are you mad at me ? " he asked gently . 

" Yes . " I wasn't hiding it . " Of two things . One , you got hurt because of me . "

" Two ? "

I closed my eyes , I couldn't bare to see his face . " Two , you're making me more unsure if I really have gotten over you , or I'm just pretending to not know that we both like each other . "

That was it , I couldn't hold it in any longer . Now I was going through so many emotions , I had no idea what I was supposed to do . 

I felt something caress my cheek .

He was kissing me , on the cheek . I peeked , to find him just so close to me and he was still caressing my cheek tenderly with his eyes closed as well . This was the furthest I had progressed with anyone , and I didn't want to stop it . I edged closer to him , and I didn't feel awakward anymore .

When he was done , he looked at me warmly . He broke into a smile , it was so genuinely happy . 

" Is that a yes , then ? " he asked hopefully . 

I giggled , " Three , I'm mad at you because you're such an idiot to not understand my answer . Of course it's a yes . "

He locked his fingers with mine , our feet dangling off the bed . His hands were rough , but comforting at the same time . I didn't know what got into me , but I knew exactly what I had to do . I rested my head on his shoulder , letting him my hair.

" That punch was worth it then . " he finalized and I smiled .