Ethereal Comfort

To All The Boys That I've Loved Before

I woke up with Joshua softly tapping my shoulder awake, I wasn't budging at all.

" Minju, we're here. " he whispered to me. " Wake up. "

" Mm-hmm..." I mumbled, half-asleep.

I could hear him chuckling, " Then open your eyes." he pushed my hair to the side, so it wasn't getting into my eyes. " I'm sure you're hungry ? "

" Mm-hmm...." I snuggled up even more.

" Then let's go, we've already landed. We're the only ones left here, get up ! " he shook my shoulder. 

I didn't know what got into me, I didn't wake up and shifted closer to Joshua, like I was hoping to sleep longer. He smiled and pinched my cheek, " Don't make me kiss you , Sleeping Beauty. "

My eyes darted open, " Huh ? " I asked drowsily, rubbing my eyes. " We here? "

He grinned and crossed his arms, " Oh ? Am I that bad at kissing until I scared you awake ? "

I pouted and pushed his playfully, " No ! I didn't mean it that way..."

He chuckled and shook his head. " I'm kidding. Anyway, we better get out of here. " and he got up from his seat. 

I just realized that I was wearing his jacket as a blanket the whole time, I hastily took it off, but he stopped me. " Nono, take it. It's okay. "

I embarassingly put it on as if it was mine and we got off the plane together. Mr Hong told Mrs Hong and Jane and I to get into the car first while he and Joshua picked up our luggage. Jane happily skipped towards the black SUV as Mrs Hong and I trailed from behind. Mrs Hong was talking on the phone.

" Yes, we've arrived. " she spoke while smiling the whole time. " Oh, a party ? You really don't have to , Bonnie . Mm-hmm, we'll be there. Come over tonight, bring the neighbours over . The more the merrier ! Okay, we'll see you soon. " and she ended the call.

" Who was that ? " I asked, out of pure curiosity.

" Oh, that's just Bonnie. She's our next door neighbour, always helpful. We'll be busy tonight, she's planning a welcome party for us. And we're the host, I know it doesn't make sense. But, we better just enjoy it , right ? "

I admired her optimistic attitude so much, and she was equally as beautiful as a goddess. I could never be like that...


Their house was a much comfier version than their home back in South Korea, and I didn't even know anything could be better than that. It was the same size like the one in Korea, only there was a backyard opening towards to a meadow and the frontyard looked like it was newly decorated and mowed frequently. I guessed it was all done by that ' Bonnie ' person Mrs Hong was talking about. At least, that was what Jane told me.

" I thought you said you guys lived in Auckland ? " I threw the question to Joshua as I noticed the driver was heading into a forest-kind-of surrounding.

" Technically, we live in Motuoapa, a few miles from Auckland. We don't live in the city, actually. " he explained. 

" Ohhh. " I mouthed. " That's nice, I could use a break from the city. " I said cheerfully.

He raised his eyebrows, " Hmm, so I think taking you along our trip was the right decision after all. I guess my judgments not clouded yet. "

I widened my eyes, " Just who uses that phrase anymore in a real conversation ? "

" Me, someone who's mind is filled with literal phrases. " he replied, then his gaze towards me softens a little. I noticed, he always did that when he was going to say something serious with me. " You'll like it here. "

And for some reason, I would automatically return his gentleness. " I already love it here. " and I smiled.

There were less rooms in that house, so I shared a room with Jane, but I was okay since I liked company once in a while. Even though Joshua kept complaining about his little sister, I actually really liked Jane and her bubbly personality, I wanted to have some of her qualities as well. 

One thing I noticed about Jane, was that she bought a lot of vintage clothing, but never wore it ; and were all passed down to me. Not that I was complaining though, they were gorgeous. 

" Why don't you wear these clothes, they're yours and they're so pretty ! " I asked her as we both unpacked .

" I really love vintage clothes, but I'm not gonna wear them. " she answered.

" Why not ? " 

" They're pretty, but don't look good in them. I can't resist buying something I find vinatge and cute, but I know it's really a waste, I just like collecting them, that's all. "

Well, that's certainly a waste, I thought. 

" But you look sooo pretty in them, Minju unni ! " she exclaimed. " Of course you have to wear them ! " 

I was not used to people saying that I looked good in anything, considering that I never owned anything that was generally pretty. I was quiet for sometime, but I guess Jane didn't notice at all as she was raiding my luggage of clothes and hanging them in the closet.

" Oh my god, I forgot I even owned this, this was my favourite ! " she exclaimed.

" Then you should wear it ! " I encouraged her.

" Nah, my legs look thick in this. But I know you'll look perfect in this, unni ! " and she handed me the outfit.

It was a pair of short denim suspenders and a floral blouse, and I rarely wore stuff like that. " I'm not used to wearing clothes like this..." I said.

" Well, it's always great to try something new ! " she beamed. " And it's perfect for the party tonight ! You only need to do something with your hair . Let's see..." and she was scanning me from head to toe. 


By the time we were ready, I could already smell the sweet scent of barbecue. I could see Joshua and Mr Hong decorating the backyard with lights and starting the grill. Mrs Hong was in the kitchen with another woman, she had red hair and a few freckles on her cheeks. I instantly knew that was Bonnie.

" Aunt Bonnie ! " Jane exclaimed and threw herself towards Bonnie.

" Jannie, look how tall you've grown ! " Bonnie exclaimed as they hugged. " Prettier than ever, aren't you ! " 

" I missed you..." Jane said adorably. 

Bonnie's eyes suddenly fell on me, " And who's this pretty girl ? "

" Oh, this is Minju. " Jane said . " My brother's girlfriend . "

" Jane ! " I said, alarmed. " That's not true ! "

" Oh really ? " Bonnie looked quite surprised. " Well, Joshua's quite the catch. "

" Of course I'm telling the truth. " Jane was hiding her smile. " Minju unni really is my brother's girl friend, it's not like she's a guy ! "

Everyone in the kitchen laughed at her joke, I just rolled my eyes to cover the fact that my cheeks were flushing pink.  Bonnie wasn't the only one there, there was another woman, but Hyojin who was Korean  ; a woman with bronze skin that everyone referred to as Martelle, a woman with blonde hair, Cassie. All of them were the neighbours around the area, it fascinated me how close all of them were. While they were baking cookies and cakes, Mrs Hong told me to help out outside.

I headed outside where Joshua had just finished adjusting the lights, he was now wearing khakis and a blue sweater. 

" Thirsty ? " I asked, holding a cup of lemonade I just poured. 

" Yeah." and he suddenly stopped talking and just stared at me, making me more uncomfortable . 

" Do I have something on my face ? Or it's because of my shirt ? " I knew there was something wrong with my clothes...

" N-no, you look....perfect. " he said. " Your hair's different..."

Jane had braided my hair into a french side braid and topped it with little flower pins in between, she spent one whole hour on it.

" Oh. " I touched my hair all self-consciously. " Well, thanks to Jane though . "

He smiled, " Sorry that Jane dolled you up, it must've been really uncomfortable. "

" Not at all ! She's adorable. " I defended. " I could never manage something like this, she's amazing. "

" I'm glad you're enjoying this. "

It was sunset at the moment, and the guests were coming soon. I looked at the horizon, it looked so calm and pretty, it was breathtaking. That moment of silence wasn't awkward, it was peaceful. Joshua joined in and said nothing, until-

" I can see that you like it here. " he said. " Your face says it all. "

" You can't read my face, I'm not a book. " I joked. 

He just looked at me with that set of gentle eyes, and said. " I've known you for years now, Minju. I know what you think. "

I shook my head, " I'm not see-through. "

" I don't mean that, you're just familiar to me. Like books I've read a million times, I'm that familiar about you. "

" Why you know so much about me ? You even know something's I don't even know about myself. " I asked wonderingly.

" Because to you, I'm just a chapter. " he said, not looking at me anymore. " And to me, you're the whole book. "

My heart skipped a beat. " What was that Joshua ? "

But he didn't repeat it, " Someone's at the door, we better go answer it. " and he walked away .

I had no other choice but to follow him, my mind swirling in confusion.

What did he mean ?