Not My Life

To All The Boys That I've Loved Before

" Minju-yah ! " Mrs Son banged on the door of my bedroom . " Get up , now !

" Coming..." I murmured , struggling to push away my covers . 

" Stop sleeping , you ungrateful girl ! " she barked and left downstairs .

This was how I woke up every morning , by some random person banging their fists on my bedroom door . Hello , I'm Jeon Minju . I'm seventeen and I've been living like this for as long as I could remember . 

My bedroom was hardly a bedroom , it was the small attic of the gourmet cafe in the middle of town . Every night , I was bound to find some creepy crawly on my pillow or something . My school uniform was sewn and sticthed again and again by myself at night , without a lamp for light .

I bathed as fast as I could , put on my uniform and went downstairs . Mrs Son was the owner of the cafe , a grumpy woman that always scolded me for everything that didn't go well , she kept saying I was a jinx or something . 

" You're late ! " she snapped .

" I'm so sorry , Mrs Son . " I apologized profusely and bowed . 

" The kitchen , now ! " she smacked me with the newspaper like I was a sheep entering the field . 

I tried my best not to dirty my clothes while cooking the food with the chefs , making the coffee and washin the overnight dishes . My sleeves were wet , but I could still manage though . I woke up three hours earlier before I had to go to school , to help in the kitchen . That earned me a bun and a carton of milk for breakfast . 

I went back into my room to take my bag , and for something else . I pulled out the little jewelery box from under my bed , it was the only thing that I treasured most . My mother gave it to me before she died five years ago in the hospital , out of last stage cancer . 

"I will always be with you . "she said to me . " Keep the box . "

It was her last gift , and it was the most important thing to me . Inside were treasures beyong gold , almost priceless . They were not coins or jewelry , but LETTERS.

Letters to every boy that I had feelings for . 

You can say I was a coward , or I was scared , because I was . Some things weren't meant to be said , or known by someone else besides you . Who was I ? Dreaming about that perfect life that I would never have ? Some of them knew me , some of them never even knew I existed . So tell me , what use was it ?

I hugged the box close to my chest , closing my eyes and making my usual routine of silently wishing that today would be better than yesterday . I put the box back under my bed and head out , where the bus was waiting downstairs .


The bus was crowded as usual , with the loud hustle and bustle . I was always the quiet type , so no one bothered me . 

" Minju ! " my friend , Yuna waved at me . " Over here ! " 

My life was miserable , but Yuna made me happier about it . We knew each other since kindergarden , she never left me even after I was an orphan . She was the light to my life . 

" Sorry I'm late ! " I said .

" You always say you're sorry . " Yuna nagged , " Did that balloon give you a hard time again ? "

Balloon meaning Mrs Son . 

" I'm used to it . " I answered . " You can't do anything . "

" I hate her ...." she grumbled . 

" Don't bother , I'm not complaining ! " I said cheerfully . " Look ! Halla's here ! "

" Oppa , you were late last night ! " she said on the phone . " Aniyo , I'm not sulking ! "

" Boyfriend again , huh ? " Yuna whispered to me .

" Yep . "

" Ne , wae ? Okay , I'll wait for you after school ...." she slid to sit next to us . " I hate it when he finds excuses ! "

" Who ? " 

" Vernon oppa ! " she pouted . 

We laughed as she said that , if I was not mistaken Halla had started dating Vernon two months ago . A few students walked past us , my heart skipped a beat . 

Kim Mingyu . The bad boy of the school , he sure was handsome . He dyed his hair today , it looked great . He was the latest guy I liked , I didn't know why his bad boy attitude attracted me so much . I also wrote a love letter to him , again it was hidden in the box . He must've had a girlfriend by now , he was popular . 

Why was he coming over to our place ? Omo...

Is he going to....

" Which one is with the name Yuna ? " he asked casually . 

" Um , yes ? " Yuna answered . 

" Is this yours ? " he held out the notebook in his hands . 

" Yes , it is ! " Yuna flushed pink . 

He smirked , " I think we accidentally switched my science notes with your diary . Here you go , nice selcas in there by the way . Sorry I peaked a little . "

" G-gwenchanna..."

He grinned , " Hey , are you free this Friday ? " 

" Yeah , why ? "

" Well , how about a movie and dinner ? Don't worry , I'll send you back . " 

" Are you asking me on a date ? " Yuna asked , quite amused . 

Mingyu had a smile dangling at the corner of his mouth , I think he had a thing for Yuna now . " You can say so . So , okay ? "

Yuna tried hiding her smile , " Okay , then . I'll see you Friday night ? "

" Yeah , Friday night then . " and he left us alone . 

" Omo , he likes you ! " Halla squealed . " And he asked you out , it's Kim Mingyu ! "

Yuna hugged her diary , " He was really dorky just now , it was kinda cute ! I can't believe he asked me out ! Minju , can you believe it ? " 

I forced a smile and laughed , " Wow , congratulations . "

Like I said , not all things were meant for everybody to know . I didn't want Yuna getting hurt if she knew I liked Mingyu , she was my friend . 

The letters had to stay hidden .