Back in Track

Best Thing I've Ever Had
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Dara? Jaehoon-ahjussi? How do you do?” Jiyong greeted them. It has been 4 years since Jiyong met Dara and Jaehoon. Dara was a frequent visitor at Choi mansion like Bom, and the rest of Troublemakers and Jiyong had met Jaehoon when Seunghyun made a surprise birthday party for Bom at Mèetis.

“I'm doing fine, Ji. How do you do?” Dara waved at Sooyoung who gave her a smile. Soon after, Sooyoung, Taeyeon and Jessica enter Seunghyun's room, while the rest of Troublemakers just stared at them afther gave a slight bow and smile.

"I'm fine as well. Ahjussi, how do you do? Sorry for not visiting all these years..." Jiyong rolled his eyes to Jaehoon, smile on his face. Jaehoon also spreaded a wise-fatherly smile. "I'm doing fine, Jiyong. Who do you visit here? Is someone sick?"

Jiyong gave him a sad smile. "Ah... Its Seunghyun-hyung." Jaehoon's eyebrows furrowed at the mention of Seunghyun's name. "Seunghyun? What happened to him?"

"He's colapsed when we had lunch before." Jiyong took a momentarily pause before he started to speak again. "How did you know we are here, ahjussi?"

"I came with Dara for my routine check up. This old man here doesn't has strong heart again, Jiyong-ah," Jaehoon let out a hearty laugh. "But... Do you mind if I see Seunghyun for a moment? I miss that boy."

"Sure sure!" Jiyong led Jaehoon and Dara towards Seunghyun's room. Jiyong quickly opened the door, revealing Sooyoung who sat next to Seunghyun, also Taeyeon and Jessica who sat on the sofa.

"Seunghyun-ah." Jaehoon called him. Seunghyun—who hasn't regained all his conciousness yet—turned his head weakly at the familiar sound. His eyes buldged out at the sight of Bom's father.

"Jaehoon-ahjussi..."

Jaehoon walked closer to Seunghyun, when Sooyoung, Jessica, Taeyeon, and even Dara and Jiyong stepped out from his room, giving them some private time alone. "How do you do, Seunghyun?"

"Bad, I guess." Seunghyun forced himself to laugh. "How do you do, ahjussi? I didn't expect you to come here..."

Jaehoon smiled, and took a seat on a chair next to Seunghyun. "I've been okay, but this old heart is getting weak day by day." Jaehoon laughed heartily. And Seunghyun realized when he heard Jaehoon's laugh, he really missed him. The old wise man he jokingly called aboenim (father in law) before Bommie passed away. 4 years was long enough to made him miss someone.

As Seunghyun was struggling with his thoughts, Jaewoo coughed to broke the silence. Seunghyun looked at him, while Jaewoo examined Seunghyun with his eyes behind those thick glasses. "So.... Why did you admitted to the hospital, Seunghyun-ah?"

And Jaewoo's question hit Seunghyun right in the face. He hasn't knew why he was admitted here. "Exhaustion... I guess?"

"You haven't change a bit, have you? Always being workaholic in your own way," Seunghyun smiled at his words. He was secretly happy that Jaewoo still remember his habit after all these years.

"Ahjussi...."

"Hm?" Jaewoo raised his eyebrow. He leaned on the chair.

"How do you know that I was admitted here?"

"I'm here for my routine check up. When I was going home, Dara saw Sooyoung ran towards your room direction. She said we should go, but my instinct said no, I can't leave. Instead, I followed Sooyoung and ended up being here."

"Ah...." Seunghyun nodded. He hasn't regain his awareness back, so he would just agree with everything. "I'm sorry for seeing me in this state, ahjussi." Seunghyun took a deep breath. "I shouldn't have dissapeared from your life 4 years ago, ahjussi. I'm sorry."

Jaehoon look a little bit startled. He didn't expect Seunghyun's apologize. Because for him, there was nothing to be forgiven. "Ah... Don't be sorry, Seunghyun-ah. I know it must be hard for you."

"But it also hard for you..." Seunghyun involuntarily bit his lip.Somehow, he felt really nervous… for no exact reason.

“Don’t mind it, Seunghyun-ah.” And silence surrounded them again. The silence wasn’t awkward, but not too comfortable either.

“Seunghyun-ah…”

“Yes, ahjussi?”

“Have you accept Bom’s death?”

Jaehoon’s question really hit Seunghyun right in the face. Just now… when he thought he could escape about his confusion about his life, about Yoona, about Bom and everything due to his sickness, but he couldn’t escape either. Someone from his past came to him so sudden, and the fact that he is the father of a really close person from his past was burdening him even more.

Shutting his eyes tightly, Seunghyun tried to think. What was the best answer for Jaehoon’s question. That was their first meeting after 4 years, Seunghyun couldn’t give him such bad impression. “I… have ahjussi.” Seunghyun opened his eyes. Revealing his tired eyes.

Seunghyun looked up to him at the corner of his eyes, there, he saw, Jaehoon with his fatherly smile he used to see years ago. The smile he missed the most from a wise man named Park Jaehoon. Even if he couldn’t jokingly call him aboenim again, Park Jaehoon always a became a wise and strong man in his mind. The one he could look up to beside his own father.

Seunghyun was hesistant to say anything more, but seeing Jaehoon’s stare, he immediately continue his words. Jaehoon didn’t speak at all, he just listening to Seunghyun’s words, but his eyes stare… his eyes stare was speaking, “Go on, Seunghyun. I'm listening.”

“I just accepted Bommie’s death and moved on from her since I met a girl concidientally at the a bar, approximately 7 or 8 months ago." Seunghyun began his story. He even didn't know why he told Jaehoon about him and Yoona. But his feeling told him to tell Jaehoon everything. "But I messed up, ahjussi."

"Why?"

"It's a really long story, ahjussi. But to cut it short, I showed up as playful yet mysterious man. I guessed that didn't matter for her, until one day, her curiousity ate her up when she saw Dara's message for me the day she came back from US."

Jaehoon didn't look surprised. He knew Seunghyun's playful personality—which was changed after Bom passed away. "She followed me and heard everything I've been hiding from her since our first meeting. But she left before I told Dara my whole story yet and she misunderstood everything.." Seunghyun let out a deep-long sigh. His eyes potrayed sadness and regret, and Jaehoon didn't miss that look. "2 weeks ago, we broke up—eventhough we never had a thing called relationship because I was too scared to be in commitment. I could tell that she still loves me while I still love her also. I.... don't know. I'm completely in mess physically and mentally since 2 weeks ago—I nearly go insane. As long as I remember, the last sane thing I did was asked her to live on her dreams. To live for achieving her dreams.."

"Don't say such a thing, son." Seunghyun looked up to Jaehoon, who just called him son. Seunghyun didn't expect him to call him son. After all this while, Seunghyun went away from Jaehoon’s life because he hadn’t accept Bom’s death yet? “You did the right thing to let her go…”

“Really?”

“I haven’t finished my sentence yet, Seunghyun-ah.” Jaehoon gave him a stern look, Seunghyun just nodded his head. “You did the right thing to let her go temporarily.”

“Let's face it, Seunghyun-ah. Even before you met her, you were still in mess. You couldn’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter