Chapter Seven

Until We Met Under the Moon

Ever since the party, Kai and I had been texting each other non-stop for the past few days. I didn't get to see him too often since football season was still going on. I felt like I was getting to know Kai a little better the more we texted one another. 

It was Tuesday and I was in my last class and I was ready to go home and take a nap. I needed all the rest I could get before Sunday because that was Hell Week. The week before our fall showcase. We had just finished learning the last dance of the semester and had final auditions for it, so now we have to go back and do formations and such for the performance.

"All right class, remember to do your readings and I'll see you all again on Monday." My professor said as I started packing up. I take out my phone and plug my headphones in and I walk out the lecture hall. "Hey stranger," I turn and see Kai leaning on the wall.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" "To see you." Kai smiled. "Oh um---" "And I was wondering, if you wanted to join me for lunch?" He requested. Is he serious? "Um, sure." "Are you done for the day?" Kai asked me. "Yeah. That was my last class." 

"Cool. Let's go." Kai said as took my hand and led me down the hallway. He's holding my hand. "So how was class?" He asked me. "Kind of boring, but I still paid attention." "Was it for your major?" "Yeah." "You're a History major, right?" "Yeah. You remembered?" 

"Yeah. Do you remember my major?" "English, right?" "Yeah. You remembered." Kai smiled. "Yeah. Plus, you were complaining about why they didn't have dance as a major instead of a minor." I giggled. "You were complaining too." Kai exclaimed. 

"Yeah, but you don't remember that I said, 'I don't like being FORCED to dance.' I like doing it for fun." "You did say that." "See. What about you, did you have class today?" I asked. "I had an 8AM." "Gross. I stopped doing those after freshman year." "I know, but they're hard to avoid." "Tell me about it."

"Hey Kai!" We see a group of girls sitting at one of the picnic tables on our way to the dining hall. "Hey," He said not really paying attention to them. "Do you want to come sit with us?" "Sorry, I'm having lunch with my friend. Maybe some other time." He objected. 

"Come on Kai, you always sit with us. Please?" They begged. Geez, could they be more desperate? "No. I already committed to having lunch with someone. Please, stop asking me."  He insisted. 

"If you want to sit with them, that's totally fine." "I want to eat lunch with you, not them." He said as he looked down at me. "Oh." I said flustered. "Come on." Kai took my hand and we walked hand in hand to the dining hall. 

Kai and I get to the dining hall and we get our food and sit down in one of the quieter dining rooms. "Do you always sit in here?" Kai asked me. "Yeah. It's the only dining room that I don't feel stuffed in during lunch time." "We always sit in the larger one, but it's always so loud in there and everyone wants to talk to us." 

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize you all were so close." I said as I sipped my soda. "Yeah. It may not look like it, but we're really close." "That's good. My brother and I used to be really close before I went off the college. We still kind of are, but not like when we were younger." 

"As long as you care about him, right?" "Yeah. Exactly." "So, um---" I looked up at Kai and he's looking back at me and he has a small smile playing on his lips. "Do you want to come over this weekend, if you aren't doing anything." 

"Actually, Saturday is my last free day, so sure." I smiled. "Before hell week?" "You got it." "When's your showcase?" "Next Saturday." "I'll be there. What time?" "Probably in the late afternoon." "I'll ask anyone else who wants to go." 

"Thanks. I really appreciate it." I smiled. "You have a really pretty smile." Kai said nonchalantly. "Oh. Thank you. I had braces for a long time." "Really? No wonder your smile is so perfect." Kai admired as he propped one arm up and leaned his head against his hand. 

"I wouldn't say that." I said avoiding his eyes. "Why not?" "I don't know. I just don't see myself in that way, I guess." "Well---" Kai took my hand and I looked at him. "I do see you that way." Kai says with a smile. I look down at my lap and back up at Kai.

"Thanks." I replied shyly. Kai and I continued our lunch and then decided to leave. "So, what do you have planned for the rest of the day?" Kai asked me. "I need to do some studying. I have a test during Hell Week and I want to get as much information crammed into my brain before the showcase. What about you?" 

"A lot of training and practice." "Oh yeah. Football season isn't exactly over yet, is it?" "No. Which reminds me. Can you come to the game on Saturday?" He asked me. "It's at noon, right?" "Yeah." "Sure. It can get me out of my apartment, and I'm sure Nalani and Alice are probably going." 

"Oh yeah, Alice and Luhan have been together a lot lately." "I know. Usually, she's the one I have lunch with, but she's so smitten with him. It's cute." I smiled. "Nalani and Kris have been together for a while too." "I know. When she first started dating him, they didn't exactly get along because Nalani's so forward and Kris isn't, but now they're practically made for each other."

"You could say that again." "Do any of the others have girlfriends?" "No. They don't have time for relationships." "I see. I'm surprised Suho doesn't have one. He's so sweet." "So?" I turn and looked at him. "I was just saying. He's so nice to me when we're in class and he's always been there for me, even when I didn't really need someone there." 

"You sound like you like him." Kai observed. "I do like him. He's a nice guy." I finished. "What about me?" Kai asked. "What about you?" "Do you like me?" Why is he asking me this question? "Of course I like you, Kai." "How come you say all these nice things about Suho, but you're with me?" "What are you talking about?" 

"Nothing. Forget I said anything. I'll see you later." "Kai---" "I'll text you later." Kai walks off leaving me confused. What's his problem? Why did he storm off like that? We were just fine during lunch and now he just gave me the cold shoulder. 

Fine. He wants to act like a baby, he can act like one. I go back to my apartment and I see Nalani in the living room on her laptop. "Hey," "Hey." "What's wrong with you?" "I honestly don't know." "Where were you? Didn't you get out of class at 11:30?" "Yeah, but then Kai was waiting for me afterward---" "Wait? Kai was waiting for you after your class was over?" 

"Yeah. Then he asked me to lunch and I said sure and everything was fine, but then we were talking and Suho became the topic and then he got pissed off because I was saying nice things about him and then he left." Nalani saved her work and closed her laptop.

"Honey, Kai was jealous." "But why did he have to be such a jerk. Suho wouldn't do that." "Suho seems to be on your mind a lot. Why is that?" "I don't know. He's a sweet guy and always knows what to say---" "Do you like him?" "Suho? Of course I do." "No, do you like him, as if you want him to be your boyfriend?" 

"Well---" "Tiana." "I don't know. I like Suho, I really do like him, but Kai. He draws me in and he makes my heart beat faster whenever I'm around him. He gets me and he's so warm-hearted." "Maybe, you should sleep on it?" "You're actually giving permission to take a nap? You feeling okay?" 

"Yes. You should really think about this. Do you want my input?" "Yes." "I think, you like Suho, but you wouldn't make the move to be more than friends with him. Now with Kai, you felt this pull to him the moment you guys met. I hate to be cliche, but Kai may be the one for you." "But isn't it too early for that? I just met the guy last week." 

"Yeah, but since then, don't you feel like you've known him most of your life?" "Kind of. I think I just need to get to know him a little more." "And that's fine. And it's also fine to be Suho's friend because, I agree, he's a nice guy and I could turn to him for anything." "I think I need to apologize to Kai" "Well, not really. He can be stubborn at times. Just give him some time alone."

"Okay. What about Suho?" "That I can't tell you, but try not to get too close to him." "But---" "Tiana. Don't make this harder than it already is." "What are you talking about?" "You'll know when the time comes. I gotta go." Nalani took her laptop and headed back into her room and then left the apartment.

What does she mean, 'Don't make this harder than it already is?' Is there something she's not telling me?