Chapter Five

Until We Met Under the Moon

After the get together with the dance team, Nalani, Alice, and I headed back to Nalani and I's apartment to get ready for the party. Nalani wanted to doll Alice and I up, so we looked good for the guys. "We have to make sure that Luhan and Kai notice you two." "They already have with us just being ourselves." Alice said as she sat down in front of Nalani about it to get her makeup done.

Alice had a point. Luhan seemed to like her the way she was. And Kai the same way with me. I was a little nervous about going to the party, since I rarely went to parties anyway, but Kai was going to be there. And not only that, he seemed like he was really interested in me. I just wore a simple red crop top, jeans, and a black blazer, so it looked like I tried.

Nalani decided to curl my hair a little bit, but I knew the curls were going to fall as soon as I started walking around. "So what were you and Kai talking about?" Nalani asked me as she was finishing up my hair. "Nothing. He just said our performance was good and that I save a dance for him."

"What? He asked you for a dance?" "Yeah. I think he likes me." "Ooh! I hope so. When I first met him, he seemed like he was a player, but he's actually really sweet and puts on this charade to people. Just don't rush into anything." "I won't. I don't plan on staying too long. I want to sleep." "You and your damn sleep."

We head out and were on our way to the party. I drove, since I decided to be the responsible one for the evening. Nalani would most likely stay the night with Kris, and if Alice wanted to come home with me, then that would solve my problem, unless something happens with her and Luhan.

We get there and Chanyeol answered the door. "You guys made it! Come on in." We all walked inside and we were greeted by all the guys. I see Kris walk up and steal Nalani from Alice and I. Alice and I walked deeper into the house and go towards the snack table. "Hey Tiana," I turn and see Lay and Chen behind me.

"Hey guys." "Wow. You look great." Chen complimented me. "Thanks. I don't do this often, so I didn't try too hard." "You look amazing." Lay said. "I had no idea you could dance like that. How long have you been dancing?" Lay added on. "10 years. I had stopped during high school though." "Wow, really? You're really something." "Thanks guys." "Do you want a drink?"

"No. I am being responsible tonight. Plus, I don't drink anyway." "Okay. Holler if you need anything. We do have water in the fridge if you get thirsty." Lay said. "Thanks guys. I really appreciate it." "No problem." Chen smiled and walked off with Lay.

I walk a little more into the house and I see Suho sitting on the steps. "Hey Suho," He looks up at me and his eyes widen a little bit and he smiles. "Hey Tiana. You look really pretty. Not that you aren't already pretty, but---" "I get it. Thank you." I said as my cheeks started to heat up. "Do you want to sit down?" "Can I?" "Yeah. I could use some company."

I sat down beside Suho and I got a good look at him. His hair wasn't styled like it normally is. "Your hair is down." "Yeah. I didn't feel like making it all nice." "It looks good." "Really?" "Yeah." I said with a smile. "Are you thirsty?" "No. I'm being the responsible one tonight. Plus, I don't drink anyway. I'm not of age." I admitted. 

"I can get you a soda or something." "Sure. Whatever you have is fine." "I'll be right back." Suho got up and walked to the kitchen to get me my soda. I glance at my phone and check the time. I've already been here 10 minutes and I want to go home. 

Geez, why did I even bother coming? "You look like you're having fun." I heard a voice say. I look up and see Kai looking down at me. He was wearing a white button down, jeans, a leather jacket covering his shirt and his blonde hair was pushed back out of his face. 

"Parties aren't my thing." "I see. What are you doing here by yourself?" "Suho went to go get me a soda." "Well, you won't mind if I kept you company until he came back, would you?" Kai said as he sat down beside me. "No. Not at all." "You look cute, by the way." Kai complimented. "Thanks. I wasn't trying too hard, since I'm just going to take it off when I get home, in---" 

I check my phone again and I have 40 minutes left at this party. "40 minutes." "Why do you want to go home?" "I want to sleep." "Well I can't blame you for wanting to sleep. It's a precious thing." "And I have homework to do. I've been slacking off." "I didn't think you were the studious type." "Yeah. I care about my grades. A lot."

"I see." "Kai, you're here." I see Suho come back with my soda and he has a beer. "Hope Cherry Coke is okay." "That's perfect. Thank you." Suho hands me the can and I open it. "By the way, your performance today was really good." Suho added. "Thank you." "Lay told me you've been dancing for 10 years?" "Yeah." 

"That's a long time." "Kai's pretty good at dancing." "Really?" I said surprised. "Yeah. I did ballet and jazz when I was a younger." "Wow." "Speaking of dancing, you owe me a dance." Kai said as he got up. "What?" "You said you'd save me a dance." "Oh right." I looked down at my soda can and see Kai's hand in front of me.

"Will you dance with me?" He asked me. 'I guess I have no choice' I thought. "Sure." I take Kai's hand and he leads me into the living room, where the music is playing and other people are dancing. I have a confession to make. I may be good at dancing to choreographed numbers, but doing something on the spot, I freeze up.

I know. I'm pathetic, but from going to prom and other functions that have dancing, you can always rely on the two step. Again, I know--I'm pathetic. There was an upbeat song playing through the speakers, when suddenly the song changed. 

It was a slower, R&B song that I knew and it made me feel a little more comfortable. I'm still awkwardly standing in front of Kai and he takes my hand and pulls me close. I feel Kai snake his arm around my waist and takes my other hand. "Is this okay?" He asked me. 

No. "Yeah." I said as I just stared down at his chest avoiding eye contact of any sort. Kai lets me go, but takes my hand and leads me somewhere. "Where are we going?" I asked him. We cut through the kitchen and leads me through the living room and finally stopping at the door to the backyard.

He opens the door and then leads me outside to the patio, looking out at a forest. "I didn't know there was a forest around here." I said quietly. "It's different from what you see on a daily basis, doesn't it?" "Yeah." I also realize that it's a lot cooler outside than it was in the house. 

I take in my surroundings and feel at peace for some reason. I turn to look at Kai and he's staring at me. Has he been staring at me this entire time? "What?" I asked shyly. "Nothing." He said with a small smile. "You still owe me a dance." Kai said. Geez, he's not going to let this go, huh?

Kai takes out his phone and turns on Ariana Grande's "Best Mistake" featuring Big Sean. "Can I take my shoes off? My shoes are killing me." "Be my guest." Kai chuckled. I kicked off my shoes and then suddenly remembered that I'm short. "Damn it." I murmured.

"What?" "I forgot that I'm short." I start to put my shoes back on, but Kai says,"Stop. I like you short." No one ever really said that to me before. I feel my cheeks heat up and stand there awkwardly. Kai takes my hand and turns me around. 

As the song is playing, I feel the rhythm as I'm kind of just standing there, but then Kai leads me. Our hips in the same direction and we were just in sync. Kai then pulls away and he starts dancing around me. Turning me every so often as he pops in locks, as well as doing his own turns of his own. 

I then start dancing around him, with my turns, extensions (yes, even in jeans I can do them) and even a jump to add some flare. As the song is nearing its end, Kai takes my hand and guides me back to him. He dips while rotating my body into a wide 'U' and then pulls me up, so our bodies are flushed together. 

The song ends and we're both breathing pretty heavy. I hesitantly look up at Kai and he's looking down at me. "What are you doing to me?" He whispered as he gently lifted his hand and caressed my cheek, while the other was holding me around my waist. 

My heart is beating super fast and I can't look away from Kai. Kai slowly leans down towards me and I panic. I take a step away from him and look at the ground. "Sorry." I said quietly. "No, it's my fault. I---" I look up at him and he's looking back at me.

"I should go." I grab my shoes and start to head back inside, but Kai says, "Wait." I look at him and he's looking at me. "Can I see you again, sometime?" He asked hesitantly. Yes. 

I don't have the courage to say yes, so I just nod my head. Kai relaxes and smiles a small smile. Kai walks to me and takes my phone from my blazer pocket and looks down at me. "May I?" "Go ahead." Kai adds his number to my phone and texts my number to his phone. 

He hands me my phone back and our fingers briefly touch up against one another's. I feel this spark that I can't explain. Why didn't I feel this before? I look up at Kai and he's looking down at me. "He felt the spark too. I know he did. 

"I guess I'll see you later then?" I say. "Yeah. "Thanks for the dance. I enjoyed it." I said honestly. "Really?" he said surprised. "Yeah." "Me too." he smiled. I turn to leave, but Kai stops me again. "Tiana," "Yea--" I suddenly feel a pair of lips on my cheek.

Kai pulls away and looks down at me with these eyes that I can't recognize. "Drive safe." He said ever so softly. "I will." I quietly said back to him. I head back inside and search for Alice and Nalani and see they have their own things to be worrying about, so I text them saying that I went home. 

I get to my car and sit there for a moment. I replay Kai and I dancing, him almost kissing me, and then him actually kissing me on my cheek. My cheeks heat up and I smile to myself. I turn my car on and Best Mistake plays on the radio. "Of course." I say to myself and I drive off.