Chapter 8 - Ways the world can betray Jessica on her birthday

Better with you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica POV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I must be in shock. How the hell did the day turn out like this?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How does one girl go from having a best friend, a boyfriend, a purse, and a roof over her head to being heartbroken and , standing frozen in a strange shower, staring at the wall for half an hour straight?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I swear to God, if this is some huge elaborate birthday hoax at my expense, I’m never speaking to anyone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ever again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

However, I know it’s not a hoax.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A hoax is just wishful thinking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I knew the second I walked through the front door and headed straight for Jun that everything Yuri had said was true.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I flat-out asked Jun if he was sleeping with Dara, and the looks on both of their faces would have been comical if they didn’t completely crush my heart and deplete my trust in one fell swoop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wanted to sink to the floor and cry when he couldn’t deny it. Instead, I walked calmly to my bedroom and began packing my things.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara came into the room, crying.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She tried to tell me it meant nothing, that had always been a casual thing between them, even before they met me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hearing her say it meant nothing to them hurt worse than anything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If it meant something to either of them, at least I could vaguely understand their betrayal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But the fact that she was claiming it meant nothing, yet it still happened, hurt me more than anything else she could have possibly said at that moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m pretty sure that’s when I punched her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It doesn’t help matters that I lost my job just minutes after Yuri told me about Jun and Dara.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think it’s frowned upon in most libraries when student workers begin crying and throwing books at the wall in the middle of their shift.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But I can’t help the fact that I happened to be stocking the romance section the second I found out my boyfriend of 2 years was sleeping with my roommate.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The sappy, romantic covers on the cart in front of me just really pissed me off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I turn the water off in Yuri’s shower and step out, then get dressed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I feel better physically after finally getting into dry clothes, but my heart is growing heavier and heavier with each passing minute.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The more time that passes by, the more my reality begins to sink in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the course of just 2 hours, I’ve lost the entire last 2 years of my life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That’s a lot of time to invest in 2 people who were supposed to be the most trusted people in my life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m not sure if I would have ended up marrying Jun or if he would have been the father of any future children of mine, but it hurts to know that I trusted him enough to possibly fill those roles, and he ended up being the opposite of who I thought he was.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think the fact that I misjudged him pisses me off more than the fact that he cheated on me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If I can’t even accurately judge the people closest to me, then I can’t trust anyone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I hate them for taking that away from me. Now, no matter who comes into my life after this, I’ll always be skeptical.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I walk back into the living room, and all the lights are out except for a lamp beside the couch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I look at my phone, and it’s barely after 9. Several texts came through while I was in the shower, so I take a seat on the couch and scroll through them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jun: Please call me. We need to talk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara: I’m not mad at you for hitting me. Please call me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jun: I’m worried about you. Where are you?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri: I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. Are you okay?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jun: I’ll bring your purse to you. Just tell me where you are.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I drop the phone onto the coffee table and sink back onto the couch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have no idea what I’m going to do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Of course, I never want to speak to either of them again, but where does that put me?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I can’t afford my own apartment right now, since financial aid doesn’t come in for another month.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t have enough money in savings to put down a deposit plus get all the utilities until then.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The majority of the friends I’ve made since I’ve been going to school here still live in dorms, so staying with them is out of the question.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m basically left with 2 options: Call my parents, or enter into some odd plural relationship with Jun and Dara in order to save money.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Neither option is one I’m willing to entertain tonight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m just thankful that Yuri allowed me to stay at her place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At least I’m saving money on a hotel room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have no idea where I’ll go when I wake up in the morning, but that’s still a good 12 hours away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Until then, I’ll just continue to hate the entire universe while I feel sorry for myself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And what better way to feel sorry for myself than while getting drunk?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I need alcohol. Bad.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I walk to the kitchen and begin to scan the cabinets. I hear the door to Yuri’s bedroom open.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I glance over my shoulder at her as she comes out of her room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She’s in a faded large T-shirt and skinny jeans, and she’s barefoot, eyeing me inquisitively as she makes her way into the kitchen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I feel a little embarrassed for being caught rummaging through her cabinets, so I turn away from her before she sees me blush.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I need a drink,” I say. “You got any alcohol?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She’s staring down at her phone, texting again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She either can’t do 2 things at once, or she’s upset because I had an attitude with her today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry if I was a to you, Yuri, but you have to admit, my response was a little justified considering the day I’ve had.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She casually slips her phone into her pocket and looks at me from across the bar, but she chooses not to respond to my half-assed apology.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She purses her lips and an eyebrow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’d like to smack that cocky eyebrow back down where it belongs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What the hell is her problem?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The worst thing I did to her was flip her off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I roll my eyes and shut the last cabinet, then walk back to the couch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She’s really being a jerk, considering my situation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From the little time I’ve known her, I was under the impression that she was actually a nice girl, b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter