Chapter 40 - nightmare

Better with you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jessica POV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Are you crying?” Bora asks without compassion as she comes through the front door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae follows closely behind her, but he pauses the second his eyes meet mine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t know how long I’ve been sitting motionless on the couch, but it still isn’t long enough for reality to have been absorbed just yet. I’m still hoping this is a dream.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Or a nightmare. This isn’t how things were supposed to turn out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sica?” Donghae says hesitantly. He knows something is wrong, because I’m sure my swollen, bloodshot eyes clearly give me away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I attempt to form an answer, but I fail to come up with one. As much a part of this as I am, I still feel that Yuri and Taeyeon’s situation isn’t mine to be sharing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Luckily, Donghae doesn’t have to ask me what’s wrong, because I’m spared by Yuri’s presence.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She’s barging through the front door, taking both Bora’s and Donghae’s attention off of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She pushes between the two of them and heads straight for her room.

She swings open the door, then comes out through the bathroom seconds later.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri looks at Donghae and signs something. Donghae shrugs and signs back, but I can’t follow their conversation at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Yuri responds again, Donghae looks directly at me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What does she mean?” Donghae asks me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I shrug. “I failed to learn sign language between now and the last time we spoke, Hae. How the hell should I know?” I don’t know where my unwarranted sarcasm is coming from, but I feel Donghae should have anticipated that one.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He shakes his head. “Where’s Taeyeon, Sica?” Donghae points at the counter toward Yuri’s computer. “Yuri says Taeyeon had her computer, so she had to come by here after she left the hospital.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I look at Yuri to answer but can’t deny the fact that jealousy is coursing through me at watching her reaction when it comes to Taeyeon. “I don’t know where she went. All Taeyeon did was walk in, set your computer down, and grab her things. She’s been gone for half an hour.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae is signing everything I’m saying to Yuri.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When he finishes, Yuri runs a frustrated hand through her hair, then takes a step toward me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her eyes are angry and hurt, and she begins signing with forceful movements of her hands.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

His obvious anger makes me wince, but her disappointment in me fills me with my own share of anger.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yuri wants to know how you could just let Taeyeon leave,” Donghae says.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I immediately stand up and look Yuri di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter