Chapter 23 - my shame

Better with you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri POV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After several minutes, she finally walks back into her bedroom.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She smiles at me, walks to the bed, and picks up her phone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sica: Sorry. I felt sick.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Me: You okay?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sica: Yeah. Just needed water, I guess. I love the lyrics, Yul. They’re perfect. Do we need to run through them again, or can we call it a night?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I really would like to run through them again, but she looks tired.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’d also give anything to feel her sing them again, but I’m not sure that’s a good idea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I already beat up my conscience enough while I was writing the rest of the lyrics down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

However, the fact that I was more than likely writing about her didn’t seem to stop me, because the only thing on my mind was the simple fact that I was actually writing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I haven’t been able to write lyrics in months, and in just a matter of minutes, it was as if a fog lifted and the words began to flow effortlessly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I would have kept going if I didn’t feel I’d already gone way too far.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Me: We’ll call it a night. I’m really happy with this one, Sica.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She smiles, and I pick up my guitar and head to my room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I spend the next several minutes adding a final verse to the song, transferring her lyrics into the music program on my laptop, and filling in the guitar chords.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once it’s all entered, I hit send, close it out, and text Yoona.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Me: Just sent you a very rough draft with lyrics. I really want Jessica to hear this one, so if you have time this week to work up a rough acoustic, send it over. I think it’ll be good for her to finally be able to hear something she created come to life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yoong: Looking at it now. I hate to admit this, but I think you were right about her. She really was sent to earth just for us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Me: Starting to seem that way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yoong: Give me an hour. Not busy, so I’ll see what we can work up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An hour? She’s sending it tonight? I immediately text Jessica.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Me: Try not to fall asleep. I might have a little surprise for you after a while.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sica: Um,... okay?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

45 minutes later, I get an e-mail with an attachment from Yoona that says, Rough cut, Maybe Someday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I open it on my phone, find a set of earbuds in the kitchen drawer, and head to Jessica’s room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She opens the door after I knock and lets me into her room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I walk over to sit on her bed and motion to the spot on the mattress beside me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She looks at me questioningly but walks to the bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I hand her the earbuds and pat her pillow, so she lies down and places them in her ears.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She continues to watch me warily, as if I’m about to pull an elaborate prank on her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I scoot down next to her and prop myself up on my elbow, then hit play.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I set the phone down between us and watch her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A few seconds pass, and her head swings in my direction. An “Oh, my God” passes her lips, and she’s looking at me as if I’ve just given her the world.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And it feels pretty damn good.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She smiles and puts her hand over as her eyes fill with tears.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She tilts her face back up to the ceiling, more than likely because she’s embarrassed by her emotional reaction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She shouldn’t be.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s exactly what I was hoping to see.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I continue to watch her as she listens, and her face conveys a mixture of emotions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She smiles, then exhales, then closes her eyes. When the song ends, she looks at me and mouths, “Again.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I smile and hit play on my phone again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter