Chapter 22 - I’m not a bad person

Better with you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica POV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh, God.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She’s doing that thing again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The mesmerizing thing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I’ve seen her play her guitar like this in the past, it was before I knew she couldn’t hear herself play.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I thought maybe she just played this way to get a different angle on the strings, but now I know she does it so she can feel the music better.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t know why, but knowing this makes me love watching her even more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I should probably be working on the lyrics, but I watch her play the entire song without once opening her eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When she finishes, I quickly glance down to my notebook, because I know she’s about to open her eyes and look up at me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I pretend I’m writing, and she flips his guitar around the correct way, then leans back against my dresser and begins playing the song again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I focus on the lyrics and think about what she said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri was right.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wasn’t thinking about the fact that someone else would be singing them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was focused on pouring my feelings onto paper.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I close my eyes and try to picture Yuri singing the song.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I try to imagine what it would be like to be honest about what I’m feeling for her and use that to take the lyrics a little further.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I open my eyes and cross out the first line of the song, then begin rewriting the first verse.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think the real reason I’m not able to write tonight is that every line that ends up on paper is about Yuri, and I know Yuri will be able to see through it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She pulled the lyrics out of the trash and already read through them, so she has to have an idea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Still... she’s here, wanting me to finish the song.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I focus on the second verse and try to keep her advice in mind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I continue to go through the lyrics on the page, crossing out the old lines and changing them up as Yuri plays the song several times.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The page becomes messy and hard to read, so I set it aside and open my notebook to rewrite everything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri stops playing for a few minutes while I transfer everything onto the new page.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I look up at her, she points to the page, wanting to read what I’ve written.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I nod.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter