Chapter 14 - Calm down, heart

Better with you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica POV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri puts down her guitar for the first time in more than an hour.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We haven’t texted at all, because we’ve been on a roll. It’s pretty cool how well we seem to work together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She plays a song over and over while I lie across her bed with a notebook in front of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I write down the lyrics as they come to me, most of the time crumpling up the paper, chucking it across the room, and starting over.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But I’ve laid out lyrics for almost an entire song tonight, and she’s only crossed out 2 lines she didn’t like.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’d say that’s progress.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There’s something about these moments when we’re writing music that I absolutely love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All my worries and thoughts about everything wrong in my life seem to go away for the short times we write together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s nice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yul: Let’s do the whole song now. Sit up so I can watch you sing it. I want to make sure we have it perfect before I send it to Yoong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She starts playing the song, so I begin singing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She’s watching me closely, and the way her eyes seem to read my every movement makes me uneasy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Maybe it’s because she can’t express words through speaking, but everything else about her seems to make up for that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As easy as she is to read, it’s only that way when she wants to be read.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Most of the time, she’s able to hold back her expressions, and I don’t know what the hell she’s thinking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She holds the crown in the nonverbal department. I’m pretty sure that with the looks she gives, if she could speak, she’d never even have to.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I feel uncomfortable watching her watch me sing, so I close my eyes and try to recall the lyrics as she continues to play the song.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s awkward singing them with her only a few feet away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I wrote the lyrics the first time, she was playing her guitar but was a good 200 yards away on her balcony.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Still, though, as much as I tried to pretend I was writing them about Jun at the time, I knew I was imagining Yuri singing them all along.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A LITTLE BIT MORE

 

 

Why don’t you let me

Take you away

We can live like you wanted

From place to place

I’ll be your home

We can make our own

Cuz together makes it pretty hard to be alone

We can have everything you ever wanted

And maybe just a little bit more

Just a little bit more

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her guitar stops, so naturally, I stop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I open my eyes, and she’s watching me with one of her expressionless expressions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I take that back. This expression isn’t expressionless at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She’s thinking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I can tell by the squint in her eyes that she’s coming up with an idea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She glances away in order to pick up her phone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yul: Do you mind if I try something?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Me: As long as you promise never again to propose a question by asking if I mind if you can try something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yul: Nice try, but that made no sense.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I laugh, then look up at her. I nod softly, scared of what she’s about to “try.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She sits up on her knees and leans forward, placing both hands on my shoulders. I attempt to hold in my gasp, but it’s a failed attempt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t know what she’s doing or why she’s getting so close to me, but holy crap.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Holy crap.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why is my heart spazzing out right now?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She pushes me until I’m flat on her mattress. She reaches behind her and picks up her guitar, then lays it on the other side of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She lies down next to me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Calm down, heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri has supersonic senses, and she’ll feel you beating through the vibrations of the mattress.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri scoots closer to me and by the way she’s hesitating, it makes me think she’s unsure if I’ll allow her any closer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I will. I absolutely will.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter