Chapter 9: He's Used to it

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I have stayed true to my word made to myself from a few nights ago. I didn’t excessively push myself onto Jiwon and gave him space. And proudly, I can say I have stayed on the other side of the boundary line. 

Though, I have thought of different ways to get close but not enough to cross it.

And right now was one of the many ways I have creatively thought of.

Carefully checking both sides of the hallway, I stepped forward and eyed the specific locker. Shuffling through my pockets, I grabbed a handful of bandaids before slipping it through the small slits of openings on the upper part of it.

“What are you doing?”

I jolted at the voice before quickly hiding my hands behind my back. “Jiwon.” I offered him a bright smile.

“I thought you’ve left me alone.” He continued, not amused.

“You should be in lunch…” I trailed off, realizing it wasn’t best to insinuate I have been watching him.

“I forgot something.” He merely responded before slightly nudging me aside so he could get to his locker. After putting in the combination, he opened it. The handful of bandaids I have carefully stuffed in before all end up on the floor at his feet. His eyes fell to the ground and a sigh promptly left his mouth. “You’re so messy.”

“Would you like me to pick it up?” I offered.

“Go away.” 

“Okay.” I spun around and started in the direction of the canteen. Once inside, I went over to the table that Jinhwan, by himself, occupied.

“Seon, where did you disappear off to?” He shot me a look. “I told you I don’t like sitting alone.”

“I was giving Jiwon bandaids.”

“More?” Jinhwan retorted. “He doesn’t need so many.”

“I don’t know what else to do with it.” I whined slightly before starting on my lunch that was beginning to get cold. “You give me so many.”

Jinhwan runs out of things to say and goes back to his lunch. “I found out something.”

“What?” I didn’t think much of it and kept my eyes on my food.

“Song Yunhyeong used to be classmates with Jiwon in middle school.”

At the news, I stopped all of my movements and gave Jinhwan my full attention. “Really? Yunhyeong?” Well, there was bound to be students who have been classmates when younger. Something I didn’t think too much about.

Jinhwan nods. 

“I need to speak with him.” Thinking of all sorts of new and unknown information I can get from the boy slightly hyped me up. 

“Hey.” He was quick to grab onto my blazer from behind. “I didn’t tell you that so you could get nosy again.”

I turned my head slightly so I can see him behind me. “Then why did you tell me?”

“Reverse psychology.” He answers. “I thought if I told you, it would get you to stop.”

I snorted. “Oh, Jinhwan.” 

“So, that’s why I got a little more information.”

I perked up at the mention. “What did he tell you?”

“He said, Jiwon wasn’t always like this.” Jinhwan sighs, regretting from having said anything to me to start off. “He was always quiet but he didn’t reject other students’ advances and one day, he went home and came back a different person. Jiwon just changed overnight.”

I waited for more, but he stopped. “Changed?”

“Yeah, withdrawn and started to ignore everyone.” 

***

Before, the sounds were deafening, so distracting to his real goal but now, he no longer paid attention to it. They filled up the insignificant background while his attention was focused on the man slowly coming into view. The lights flashing made it slightly hard but Jiwon was all used to it now.

his dry lips, Jiwon prepared himself. 

Looking down at his wrapped hands, he clenched them by his sides before stepping inside the ring. He could hear shouts of his name and the calls of prices coming from all different directions. He couldn’t see out past the ring. Besides where he was standing, nothing else was lit. 

“Bobby, if you win, you get the money. Half of it, of course.”

Jiwon eyes the grinning man standing just right outside the cage. “And I don’t have to go on those trips?”

“Nope.” The man answers with the same smile. 

Turning back, Jiwon faces his opponent for tonight. He was already used to the fear, already used to the blood and sweat that stained the floor of the cage, and already so used to the pain that was going to welcome him in a mere few seconds. 

Hearing the familiar bell, Jiwon’s mind drew a blank as he dashed forward.

He was already so used to it.

***

Thinking it over for the thousandth time, I hesitated on sticking around my usual waiting spot. Shifting back and forth, I finally make a decision and begin walking down the sidewalk upon remembering I needed to stay on the other side of the boundary line.

But, like the other nights, I figured we were going to run into each other regardless.

Not paying attention as much as I should, I jumped in shock when I catch something moving out of the corner of my eye. Staring wide-eyed at the ground, I noticed the figure sitting up against the building in the alleyway.

“Jiwon? You scared me.” I walked closer when I get no response from him. “Are you still alive?”

“What do you think?”

“Do you need help?”

“No.” He muttered with his eyes closed and his head tilted back against the wall.

“You’re going to the training center, right?” I questioned further.

This time, instead of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter