Chapter 18: Don't Disregard Warnings

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The week followed with the same greetings and the acceptance of our appearances at his table. Jiwon ate quietly and would often react slightly to whatever Jinhwan and I were saying. 

And soon, the weekend came once more.

“Another bouquet?”

Jiwon replied with a shake of his head.

“We don’t need help – “

“The baskets need organizing, Jiwon.” Aunt Dara walked out in front and stated to my displeasure. Jiwon ignored my stare and walked to the back, leaving me dumbfounded.

“Aunt Dara, why are you doing that?” 

She looked over her shoulders and answered me. “He’s working for the bouquets.”

“Bouquets? They’re not even that expensive.” He’s doing a whole lot more labor than is needed. 

“He asked and he’s a good boy, why wouldn’t I agree?” Aunt Dara shrugged and went back to her task. 

Seeing how I wasn’t getting the answers I needed from her, I left my position and walked into the backroom to find the boy carrying out his job. “Jiwon, are you having trouble paying for the flowers?”

“A little.” He answered.

“You don’t have to do this much work.” 

“This isn’t much.” Jiwon denied before giving me his attention. “I’ll just help out on weekends. The heavy tasks can be given to me.”

“I can handle the heavy tasks just fine.”

He shoots me a curt look.

“Are you underestimating me?” I questioned upon deciphering the secret meaning behind it. When he offered no response and turned his back to me, I marched right up at his heels and tapped his shoulder. “Hey – “

Spinning around suddenly, I found my chest nearly bumped up against his. His eyes dropped down to meet mine – strangely, I felt myself go speechless. 

“The task can get done a whole lot faster if you just let me do it.” Jiwon stated calmly while making sure he kept his gentleness.

That’s why it was strange.

Jiwon was making direct eye contact…something we both knew was not something he preferred. Unable to provide a rebuttal to his words, Jiwon took my silence as approval and he turned back around to continue his task.

Silently, I made my way out into the front. My eyes still stuck on his back even when I had completely left the backroom. 

“Jiwon and you seem to be getting closer.” Aunt Dara leaned over and whispered. 

I turned my attention towards her. “Does it seem that way?” I pondered the reasons that made Aunt Dara say so.

She simply nodded her head not bothering to go into the topic too much and I had something else I was more curious about.

“About this Mr. Lee – “

“He came back yesterday.” Aunt Dara’s eyes twinkled at the memory. “Seon, he is such a wonderful man. Every time we get a chance to speak to each other – “

“How much do you know about him?” My eyes dropped to the counter as I looked for something to do. I didn’t want to doubt Aunt Dara but Jiwon’s words continued to nag at me.

She chuckled lightly, not sensing my uncertainty. “That’s what dates are for –“

“He asked you out on a date?” My head snapped up at the news.

Her smile turned into a full-blown grin. “He did. We’ll learn more about each other then.” 

Before I had a chance to say anything else, a customer came in and successfully captured Aunt Dara’s attention. I was left standing there dumbfounded. It seems Jiwon’s warning may have been inadequate. From my spot, I looked over my shoulder and caught the boy’s gaze as he took a break from stacking the baskets. He knew I failed and I couldn’t give him an excuse. 

***

Stepping into the building on a Sunday, Jiwon eyes the empty office. Stopping outside the doorway, his eyes glanced around to find those same blue flowers he had seen before – fresh. 

“Did you want something?” 

The voice stole Jiwon’s attention. He shifts over so Jangseop can make it inside his office. “What are those flowers called?”

“How the hell should I know?’ Jangseop responded. “Are you here

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter