Chapter 5: Everyone Has Their Own Pain

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Walking down the hallway, strangely, Hanbin and I met each other’s gazes. Ever since last night, I’m sure we were thinking about the same person but we both just didn’t know what to say. It was just a really odd way of meeting one another officially.

With a curt nod of acknowledgement, we brushed pass each other and continued on with our regular school day – leaving us both to resume our wondering about a certain boy who never showed up to school. 

Nor did he come the day after.

So once the week ended, Jiwon left behind another mystery for me to ponder on and leaving my curiosity unsatisfied as well. 

***

“Seon, what are you up to today?”

I glanced up away from the television screen from my seat on the couch. “More shows.” When my thoughts get too much – even for me, I had to find some way to distract myself, and variety shows seem to be an answer that works wonders.

“I might need some help at the flower shop today.” Aunt Dara asked from the kitchen.

I thought about it for a moment. That would be just as good of a method as any show. “Let me go get ready.” Not bothering to hear the rest of the details, I hurried off to my room to prepare for the long day ahead.

Finishing the short routine, Aunt Dara and I made our way by car to the shop centered in the city. Once unlocking the glass door, the ringing bell greeted us but the scents of the various beautiful plants were just as welcoming. Aunt Dara was known to be one of the few florists in the city and with that kind of attention; customers soon became acquainted with her exceptional skills. 

And she rightfully deserved it.

“What would you like me to do first, Aunt Dara?”

She pointed at the empty buckets on the side of the shop. “Fill those with flowers and set them out at the entrance for me.”

Understanding my easy task, I got to work while Aunt Dara took care of her own responsibilities. And within the hour, the shop was ready for the day and slowly, the world outside the shop was beginning as more and more people busily made their way down the sidewalks and streets. Leaning upon the wooden counter while Aunt Dara took care of preorders in the back, I set my eyes outside the glass windows and front door, watching the daily happenings. 

With my kind of daydreaming, surely the day would pass quickly.

I pushed myself off the counter at the sight of a burly gentlemen getting closer to the shop. As soon as he entered, I greeted him with a smile.
 
“Hi, how can I help you today?”

Matching my expression, he walked up to the counter. “I’m actually here to promote something.”

“Promote?” This would also happen during my shifts at the convenience store.

“Are you a high school student?”

I nodded my head.

“Have you heard of ‘Mirage’?”

I swear I’ve heard that name before. “Mirage? Do you have ads with you?”

He chuckled. “No, we promote by word of mouth.” He explains. “It’s usually on Tuesdays at –“

“Seon, are you having trouble?” Aunt Dara comes out to the front, thinking I couldn’t figure something out.

At the appearance of my aunt, the man abruptly stops speaking. 

I motioned over to the visitor – “He was just –“

“It’s nothing, I just had a question and the young lady helped me.” 

I turned back to look at him. “Wait, what about what you were telling me –“

“Have a nice day, ladies.” Without hesitating for another moment, he disappeared from his spot in front of the counter and headed outside through the door. 

“Was he bothering you, Seon?” She looked over at me, worried.

I shook my head, still dumbfounded by our previous exchange. “He was advertising something…’Mirage’?” 

“Don’t listen to such nonsense.” Aunt Dara brushes it off before moving around the counter to reach for some flowers. Still lost in my thoughts, I was only distracted when Aunt Dara yanks back her hand as if receiving a shock.

“Ouch.” She looked down at her finger. “There was still a thorn left on the rose.”

Instinctively, I reached into the back pocket of my jeans and pulled out a bandage. “Here you are.”

She looked at me strangely before realizing. “Jinhwan, right?”

“Because of him, I have bandages hiding everywhere.”

“The boy never changes.” Aunt Dara says with a chuckle before focusing back. “Don’t forget to water the flowers in the front, they’ll dry out.” 

Sliding out from behind the counter, I grabbed the filled watering pot and headed for the large black buckets lined up neatly outside. Focusing on the mesmerizing water droplets spilling over the fragile petals of the flowers, I didn’t notice the person coming up from behind. 

“Excuse me.”

I straightened up and whipped my head around, forgetting that I was blocking the entrance of the shop. “Welcome –“ The rest of my words refused to leave my lips as I stared back at the boy that had been relentlessly clinging to my thoughts and it seemed Jiwon noticed who I was as well.

Remembering the situation, I slid aside and gave him room to reach the door.

The ringing bell alerts Aunt Dara of the customer and she faces him to offer her service but her greeting was one that wasn’t expected. “Nice seeing you again.” She smiled kindly at Jiwon.

Again?

Slacking from my job, I carried the watering pot inside in order to observe their exchange from the side. 

“Good morning, I’m here for another bouquet.” Jiwon softly answers.

“What else would you be here for?” Aunt Dara chuckled before getting to work after taking care of her slightly injured finger. She already knew which flowers to prepare his order with and worked efficiently. Silently, I continued watching, my eyes trying their best to catch sight of the remnants of that night upon his skin but with his back turned to me, it wasn’t an easy mission. Noticing my absentmindedness, Aunt Dara looked in my direction. “Seon, won’t you ring him up for me?”

Blinking back from my thoughts, I headed behind the counter. “Sure.”

Switching my focus onto the cash register, my eyes unnaturally shifted back and forth, from him and back to the machine in front of me. “It’s 9 dollars –“

“I only charge him half the price.” My aunt corrects me from where she stood and again, I wonder how often he has come here to receive such generous treatment from her. 

I nodded while taking the perfect amount from Jiwon’s outstretched hand.

I took further curt glimpses of him, checking his bruises and cuts before I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter