Chapter 21: Keep Out

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jiwon snapped his head up and looked down the hallway. There was no mistake – he definitely heard it. 

His heartbeat quickened within his chest – 

Feeling a tap on his shoulder, he blinked back and turned to see who it was.

“What are you doing standing in the middle of the hallway?” Jinhwan questioned upon seeing the blank look on Jiwon’s face. 

Seeing how there was no way to know for sure or confirm what he may have heard, Jiwon decided to leave it be temporarily.“…Oh, nothing.” With no other clear explanation, Jiwon turned away and started for homeroom with Jinhwan following after him. 

***

“Don’t you think Jiwon seems a bit mindless today?” Jinhwan whispered over to me and to prove it, Jiwon didn’t even react to the boy’s words, his eyes set down on his lunch tray – the exact same spot for the last twenty minutes.

“Just a bit.” I answered. Going back to my food, I continued chewing while watching the oblivious boy. Jiwon has been like that the entire day – not listening during class and bumping into students in the hallways – I wonder what it could be. 

Getting up from his seat, Jinhwan goes to put away his lunch tray and I used the time to understand Jiwon’s behavior.

“Is everything okay?”

My question seemed to pull him back and he met my eyes. “Huh?”

“What’s on your mind?” I asked. 

“Nothing.” He denied curtly and resumed eating.

Offering him a small smile, I continued. “You know what happens when you keep things in for too long.” He would do it until he was bursting at the seams. It can’t feel too good. 

At the memory of the alleyway, he dropped his head. “I’m fine.”

“I really don’t like that word.” I commented with a sigh and placed my attention back on my food. “The word ‘fine’ seems too accepting to me. Things could be hard but you’re fine with it. You may be worried about something but fine with it rather than wanting to do something to change it.” I looked back up to wait for his response.

And fortunately for him, he didn’t have to.

“Seon, Jiwon, you guys should finish soon. The bell is about to ring.” Jinhwan returned to notify us. 

Hurriedly finishing my last few bites, I motioned for Jiwon to quickly eat his lunch. Within seconds, I was on my feet, with food still in my mouth, and rushing to put my tray away. 

***

Jiwon never did tell me what was bothering him – I mean it was only an observation. Maybe there really wasn’t anything that was on his mind. So, I left it alone until he wanted to share. He was never really someone that I could pressure nor did I want to.

At my locker after the last bell had rung, I shifted through the packets of papers in my hands before hearing a sudden voice.

“Applications?” 

I looked up to find Jinhwan before nodding. “For college entrance exams.”

He catches the expression on my face. “I know what to cheer you up.” He grinned widely.  “Look at what I got you.” Jinhwan lifted a small plastic bag out of his backpack, the grin still there upon his face to indicate how proud he was to prepare such supplies.

Hesitantly, I reached out and took it from him. Lo and behold, what do I find? More ointments and bandages. “…Thanks, Jinhwan.” 

He noticed my reaction and chuckled. “I figure Jiwon could also find use for it.”

“Then why give it to me?”

“He doesn’t seem like he’ll accept it and since you always go to the Kim’s training center, I thought you would bring it along anyways.” He reasoned.

After hearing his explanation, Hanbin walks right by and my mind thinks of a solution. I reach out for his arm, effectively bringing him to a stop. Looking down at my hand, his eyes shift up to find me.

“Hey, Seon.” He greeted me with a smile.

I lift the plastic bag up. “For the training center.”

“What is it?” Junhoe walks by and takes it from my hand. He peers into it and a look of disappointment crosses his features. “First aid? I thought it was something good.”

“You’re going to need it.” Hanbin took it from him before offering me a smile. “Thanks, Seon.”

“It’s all Jinhwan.” I wrapped my arm around the boy’s shoulder.

“Oh, Jiwon.” Jinhwan reacted with surprise.

The rest of us looked in the direction Jinhwan was facing to find Jiwon had stopped on the side. 

“It’s become a crowd.” I chuckled. 

“We’re gonna go on ahead – see you guys later.” With a wave from Hanbin, both him and Junhoe started down the hallway together. Ever since Junhoe started visiting the training center, they would leave together and the sight encouraged the other students to start whispering about how they have set aside their childish teasing towards one another.

“I should also get going. Be safe walking to your aunt’s place today.” Jinhwan advised. “Bye, Jiwon.” 

With Jinhwan also gone, that left only two people. I turned back to Jiwon, waiting for him to speak. 

“…Today you’re going to Ms. Dara’s flower shop?”

I nodded. “Why?”

“I thought I could help out today.”

“But, it’s not the weekend.” Even if Aunt Dara wasn’t going to stop Jiwon from showing up at the shop, I still felt bad nonetheless. It felt like we were taking advantage of him.

“I’m only staying for a while.”

***

The moment the both of us entered the shop, coughs welcomed us.

“Aunt Dara?”

“Seon – “ A sneeze followed before she could finish. She walked out from the backroom and the sight was explanatory. “Oh, Jiwon is with you.”

“Are you okay?” I asked while walking forward.

“I’m not feeling all too well.” She answered while taking a deep breath, her congested nose made it hard for her to catch her breath.

Seeing how things were, there was no other choice. “Why don’t you head home and rest?”

“But – “

“I can take care of the orders.” I already knew the excuses before she could voice them. “Jiwon is also here, I won’t be alone.”

With no objection from Jiwon, Aunt Dara looked between the both of us. “Really?”

“Sure.” I responded before moving behind the counter to help her gather her things. “I’ll close on time and if there is any trouble, I’ll let you know – there wouldn’t be any but to comfort you.” I said with amusement. 

Grabbing her purse, she gave me an unsure look. “…If you say so –“

“Your customers wouldn’t want snot all over their flowers anyway.” With another soft urge from me, Aunt Dara gave in.

“I’ll see you at home.” She said before more coughs spilled from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter