Chapter 24: The Big Reveal

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I stared at Jiwon for what felt like hours. Trying my best to decipher his words but I wouldn’t have enough time to. I was yanked out of my thoughts as I was hauled to my feet so suddenly.

“Get away from him.”

My head snapped around to see my dad gripping my arm.

“What?” He barked at me, noticing the glare that was staring back him.

“You watched something like that? You enjoy it?” The words burned in my throat as hurt rose.

“How is it any different from watching boxing, wrestling –“

“Those people aren’t kids!” I shouted back, unbelieving that he could provide excuses even in this situation.

“He does it because he wants to, no one forces him to.”

I looked back at Jiwon and once again noticed the shape he’s in. Did Jiwon really have a choice? “Let me go.” I tugged my arm back from my dad’s hold. With it freed, I leaned down to help the boy. “Jiwon, let’s get you to the training center – “

For a second time, my dad obstructs my action. “I said to stay away from him.”

“I don’t take orders from you.” I placed my hand out and help Jiwon onto his feet. Slinging his arm around my shoulder, we make our way out of the alleyway and down the sidewalk. It was easy to leave the man behind.

The walk there was making sure Jiwon could continue and it is only when we reach the training center did I finally have a chance to arrange my thoughts. From my seat on the training mat, I stared ahead of me. My attention landed on nothing particular as Hanbin treated Jiwon. 

“What’s wrong?”

The person taking up the space beside me draws me back. Offering Junhoe a smile as I looked at him, I hoped it would be enough to convince him. “Nothing.”

“Jiwon has been sending you glances – did something happen?”

A sigh spilled from my lips. “…I’m going to go home early today.” Standing to my feet, Junhoe didn’t know how to react.

“Uh – oh, okay.” He stuttered while staring up at me from where he sat.

“Have a good night, Mr. Kim.” I made sure to be polite before leaving through the door. 

For the first time, I walked home with relief knowing I didn’t have to face Jiwon tomorrow with such confused thoughts, as today was the end of the week. But knowing him, it would be likely that he’ll come to the flower shop.

***

“I’m not feeling well.”

Aunt Dara stood over me as I lied underneath my covers, her hand upon my forehead to check my warmth. “You have been working a lot…” She stated with worry. “And I was also sick – I was probably spilling my germs everywhere.”

I stayed silent as she straightened up.

“Stay home for today – I can manage the shop by myself.”

With me nodding gently, she patted my cheek in adoration. 

“I’ll see you later.”

Once Aunt Dara left the room and closed the bedroom door behind her, I released a sigh. I may have lied about being sick but I really wasn’t in any mood to do anything. Thoughts of last night continue running through my mind and I wished that it would leave me alone…just for a moment.

***

“It must be lonely for you today.”

Jiwon looked up from his cleaning to see Dara standing at the door. “Uh – “ His eyes dropped down to the cloth in his hands. “It’s fine.”

A sigh promptly leaves her lips. “I wanted to drop off some soup for Seon but it’s not easy.” Every time she thought about leaving, another customer would appear.

Jiwon continued playing with the white cloth. He didn’t know what to say.

“She probably hasn’t eaten all day.” She continued to herself.

Making up his mind – “I can take it to her.”

“Oh.” Why hadn’t she thought of that? “If you don’t mind, Jiwon.” Dara chuckled. 

Problem sol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter