Chapter 27: Some Decisions Come With Pain

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Looking out of his kitchen window, Hanbin noticed the fresh fallen snow covering the sidewalks and roads. He stood before the stove and counted the time that flew by while waiting for the eggs to cook. 

His dad was at the kitchen table, his eyes set on the small television set at the end of the counter. It has successfully occupied the older man’s attention for the morning though it looked like his dad was busy thinking about something else. His mom had already gone to work and that left him making breakfast.

“Hanbin, what are Jiwon’s plans after school ends?”

Keeping his eyes on his current task, Hanbin mumbled a response. “We’re not that close, dad.” Hearing no other reply from his dad, Hanbin looked over his shoulder. “What is it?”

“I’ve just been thinking…” His dad begins slowly. “But, there is no way we can be lucky twice.”

Hanbin tried to wrap his mind around the older man’s words as he tries his best to not burn their breakfast.

***

My eyes find their way towards the other side of the room, all in hopes of seeing the boy. When I found Jiwon staring back, I could finally breathe easier. As long as he was back to school where I could see him. 

He noticed my attention on him and offered a small smile. 

“Everyone should be getting acceptances back, correct?” The teacher questioned and it earned her a chorus of agreements.

I had also received another but seeing how I had my mind set on the University closest to home, I had made my decision with Aunt Dara’s blessings. 

“And when acceptances come, that means graduation is not far off.” She stated with a smile. 

Another round of cheers echoed throughout the room. 

And this would set the tone for the rest of the day. From the morning to the afternoon, there were only excited chatters about which schools the students were attending. 

But, one person stuck out like a sore thumb.

Kim Jiwon. 

Jiwon who didn’t join in on the conversations about additional education after high school. Jiwon who seemed content with the currents of his life. Jiwon who never answered my question when I asked about his plans. 

“Did you ever ask Jiwon if he was going to stop?” Jinhwan asked at the lunch table when the boy of focus was nowhere to be seen at the moment.

“I implied it.” I mumbled back. “I asked what he plans after high school.”

“Nothing?” Jinhwan noticed my tone.

I shook my head. “He changed the subject.”

“Seon, you don’t think he’ll – “

Looking over my shoulder and seeing Jiwon heading back to the table, I nudged Jinhwan to prevent the rest of his words from being said. He caught on quickly and remained quiet.

Jiwon carefully looked at us but doesn’t voice his suspicions and instead, started on his lunch. 

“I’ve finished.” Jinhwan ate the rest of his food and grabbed his tray once he got to his feet. I stared after him in disbelief as he left the table. 

Where was he running off to?

Turning back, I found Jiwon gazing at me. “What is it?”

“Nothing.” He merely says with a slight smile on his lips. “Wait for me after your shift.” He added and returned to his lunch.

“At the training center?” 

Jiwon nodded his head. 

***

Remembering Jiwon’s words at lunch, leaving from the convenience store, I kept my steps moving in the direction of the training center. Making a promise to myself, I decided I was going to ask Jiwon more about post-graduation and I wasn’t going to let him change the subject. 

Appearing before the training center, I walked in and gave everyone my greetings. Thinking it wouldn’t be long before Jiwon would make his appearance, I kept waiting beside the door. 

“Sit down, Seon.” Hanbin insisted while passing by me. “You’ve been standing for a while.”

Looking at the time, I also noticed how late it has gotten. “I’m going to be right back.” Leaving through the door, Hanbin’s calls went unanswered as I moved down the sidewalk.

It didn’t feel right.

Jiwon never took this long.

Seeing the same building come into view, I turned into the alleyway and the sight that I walked into induced a sharp pain in my chest. “Jiwon?” The sweatshirt was recognizable even from the distance I was seeing him from. The boy was standing against the side of the warehouse but his posture didn’t feel natural.

Walking closer, I finally reach him.

“What is it, Jiwon?”

“I’m going to fall over if I move.” He chuckled in order to soften the severity of the situation.

Seeing the pink in his cheeks and nose urged me to secure my red scarf around his neck. “Are you cold?”

“Not at all.”

I knew what he was trying to do and it did nothing to comfort me. “Jiwon, please.” My hands move up and hold the sides of his face. His cold skin immediately made my warm hands flinch. “Is this worth it?”

“It’s worth it.”

“You’re throwing away your body.”

He looked down and met my eyes. “Please let’s stop talking about this.”

Hearing a slight noise around the warehouse, my head turned in the direction. Was someone there? Seeing how this really wasn’t the place to talk, I moved his arm around my shoulder so that we can start making our ways towards the training center.

Eventually arriving, I help Jiwon into the warmth the shop provided as Hanbin hurried over to help support the boy.

From behind, I watched Hanbin take over and bring him to the mat. Feeling sudden weight upon my shoulder, I looked to the side to see Junhoe had offered me his jacket. “Thank you.” 

“You must know what he’s been doing.” Junhoe begins softly. “The others scolded me for being nosy so I won’t ask about it but, doesn’t he understand the medical issues he’s going to have?”

“He knows.” I stated softly.

“Junhoe, how long are you going to take a break for?” 

“Coming, Mr. Kim.” Junhoe shouted back before patting me on the shoulder and heading towards the ring to meet the older man. 

Junhoe receives some advice and begins

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter