Chapter 29: The Most Anticipated Debut

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Life was starting to resume without much interruption. My thoughts would regularly visit a familiar face but after hearing no news, remembering him was getting less and less stifling. The memory of him and the fresh feelings that usually came along with it were slowly starting to dull and soften. If I were to phrase it better - it has been tolerable. 

That hasn't been the only thing because generally, lots of things have changed. 

No more shifts at the convenience store and no more seeing lights and people in the Kim’s training center. Weeks, months, and then a whole year passes without me realizing. Now, I say hello to my second year at the University and a new home where we wouldn’t have to worry about debt collectors or visits from my dad. 

Yes, life has changed plenty. 

And if I were to be honest - for the better.

Walking alongside Jinhwan, I noticed he had something to say but he was obviously debating with himself whether to reveal it. “I’m not sure if I should say anything.”

I chuckled. “Just tell me.”

He leaned in closer, taking little persuasion on my part to urge him. “I think Mirage may be gone.”

I met his eyes. “How do you know?”

“I may have been in the area – before you say anything, I wasn’t there to check it out again.” He was quick to explain. “Well, we hadn’t seen…him in a while and I figured I would just pass by.” 

Him. Jinhwan was still being careful whenever Jiwon was brought up in conversation. “It was empty?”

“I think so.” He revealed.

My head dropped down to watch my feet move across the concrete of the sidewalk in a rhythmic pattern. “…That’s comforting.” I tried to push away the possibility that Jiwon was continuing this life somewhere else – the possibility that Mirage just simply relocated to continue.

Jinhwan wraps an arm around my neck. “If it was comforting, then don’t look so down.”

I offered him a smile. “Once we get some snacks, it’ll cheer me up.”

Grinning, we hurried along. My days were getting busier but there would be one or two days where Jinhwan and I never failed to meet up. And today was a movie day we had planned for a while. 

***

“Your bouquets have improved.” Aunt Dara scans the order and compliments me. “…They may start looking better than mine soon.”

I chuckled, doubting her words.

“The customers have been complimenting them also.” She continued when she believed I didn’t take her words seriously.

“That’s good to hear.” My smile grew brighter before adding a joke. “You got yourself a rival, Aunt Dara.”

Another thing that I took notice of was the absence of Mr. Lee. An entirely good thing but it was abrupt how he left. Aunt Dara stopped mentioning him altogether and her behavior hadn’t seemed off either. It has been a whole year and maybe she has recovered but it didn’t feel like he made much of a dent in her life. 

With him and Mirage gone – she may never find out and I wasn’t complaining. 

Looking behind me, she sighs at the sight. Neither of us had time to start on the new deliveries made this week – “It’s that view that makes me miss him even more.”  She said thoughtfully.

My hands stilled for a moment before resuming the next order. “…Jiwon?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter