Chapter 4: Seeing Past the Surface

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Not entirely slipping past the teachers’ office, I snuck a quick glance through the agape sliding door. 

Jiwon was only called in moments ago and I already had an idea about the reason for it. After all, it was I that orchestrated it. It was all due to the talk I had with Mr. Kang the other day and he was currently carrying out his word. 

But I wonder if this would do anything.

Before I could hear anything beyond the door – 

“Seon, you’re at it again?”

Getting caught, I figured my current action of eavesdropping was finished. I straightened up before turning around to face him. “Jinhwan, what are you referring to?”

“Stalking.” He responds, though he knew I was only playing the innocent card. “Why are you spying into the teacher’s office?” The moment he asked was the moment he realized the answer to his own question. “Jiwon?” 

“Mr. Kang was speaking to him.” As those words left my lips, the door behind me slid opened and the simple noise got me hurrying away with my arm linked with Jinhwan’s, dragging him along with me. 

Jinhwan couldn’t hold back his chuckles. “I told you that one day you’ll get caught.”

“One day, you said.” I managed to smile back once we were in the clear. “Just not today.” 

But at this rate, Jinhwan’s warning just may come true.

***

From what it seemed like, nothing much occurred. 

Maybe Jinhwan was right after all. Even if help were to be offered, would Jiwon accept it? If he has been wandering these school hallways with countless injuries all this while, the only reason why it hasn’t stopped is because he didn’t want anyone stepping in.

Isn’t Jiwon tired of the state he finds himself in? Or was he not bothered?

But, that reasoning didn’t make much sense to me either.

“Still concerned?” Jinhwan’s words at the lunch table pulled me back from my difficult thoughts.

“Just thinking.” I replied while still absentminded.

“What about this time?”

With a small smile, I questioned, “Do you really want to know?”

“If it’s about Jiwon –“

“It is.” I added, not allowing him to finish his thoughts.

“Then, I don’t.” Jinhwan looked down at his lunch once more, already taking his attention off of me. I also went back to my food with a smile before Jinhwan called out to me again, switching the topic. “…Seon, I’m really just wondering.”

“What is it?” I asked with amusement. Though once I heard his voice, it made my smile falter. 

“You have enough troubles to deal with - why are you bothering with him?”

There was a moment of pause before I offered him an answer. “I’m still figuring out why that is.” Something I have told Jinhwan before but have yet to understand for myself. 

“Just focus on yourself.” 

This time, Jinhwan wasn’t scolding me but in fact pleading with me to do just that.

And, I wanted him to believe that I was okay because I felt okay. “I promise you that I’m doing fine.”

Hearing my answer, Jinhwan breathed out. “I want to believe that also.”

***

“Here is your change and receipt.” 

With a smile, I handed the said things to the customer. I watched as another one leaves, allowing myself to stand back and take a small break. For an unexplainable reason, it was busier today – it was always busy on Tuesdays at this time of night. 

If things couldn’t be stranger – it was always snacks and drinks that were sold to students. 

I wonder if there were events that were just held on this day and during this time. 

I glanced at the clock. It was already a little past ten, just a few more hours and my shift would end. 

“Seon.”

I straightened up at the sound of my name. “Yes, Mr. Yoon?” 

My boss pokes his head out from his tiny office in the back to look at me. “Don’t forget your paycheck before leaving today.”

“I won’t.”

Hearing my answer, he disappears once more; back to the paperwork he says he’s always busy with. So while Mr. Yoon remains quietly occupied, I went back to selling more snacks to more students who stopped by and like how I predicted, the rush abruptly stopped around 11 PM. 

It was always like this on Tuesday’s.

The convenience store went back to storing silence and emptiness while I was merely counting down the hours before I could finally go home. And just like that, the night quickly ended and I was on my way out with my paycheck folded and tucked snugly into the pocket of my school’s blazer.

With my eyes set on the lit window down the sidewalk a bit more, I didn’t notice the presence concealing itself in the shadows provided by the buildings. 

“Seon.”

My feet came to a hasty halt while I looked for the person behind the voice. And soon enough, the man walked into the dim light delivered by the street lamps that lined the empty street.

The unwanted nostalgic feeling would once again make its usual visit at the sight of him. 

Knowing why he was here, I didn’t delay in sticking my hand into my pocket and pulling out the very reason why he would be here in front of me and like how unhesitant I was, the older man reached out and took the folded up paycheck, eyeing the digits before looking up at me

My gaze diverted to the ground. I didn’t intend to start a conversation and I was hoping that he felt the same way.

“You haven’t picked up my calls.”

“Please don’t come to the house anymore.” My soft voice cut through the quiet night, brushing off his initial statement.

A quiet scoff broke from his lips. “What? You’re too good for me now?”

I didn’t exactly know how to respond. “We all know your true intentions.” He didn’t come around often but when he did, it was easy to guess the meaning behind the action. 

“I have an obligation.” He merely offers another half-hearted response. “I have to at least visit –“

“Please.” I reiterated once more. 

“You should at least lis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter