Chapter 31: The Distance Between Us

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In person, Jiwon did look a whole lot different. What I saw that day on the TV screen was not misleading in the least. It was like he grew two sizes bigger – successfully making him even more imposing and intimidating than he already was. I’m sure it was all due to the training Hanbin and his father put him through daily. 

“It’s Bobby now, isn’t it?” I questioned and received a nod from him. 

There was a bit of a silence before Jiwon started again. “…Can we talk?”

“We’re talking now.” I smiled in amusement before reaching to organize the clutter on the counter. Suddenly, I was at a loss of what to do just with him standing there and my idle hands acted on their own. 

The smile that was on Jiwon’s lips faltered after hearing my words. “That’s not what I mean.”

“Um – “ My hand moved up to curl the loose strands of my hair back behind my ear. “Bobby, there’s nothing left to talk about.” I’m sure that wasn’t the response he was hoping for but I figured I would just be honest. I assumed it would save the both of us the trouble.

“I disappeared.” He stated curtly, still keeping his tone calm. For as long as I could remember, Jiwon was always calm. I’ve never actually seen him angry. “I thought you would want to know the reason.”

I did. 

“It’s been over a year.” I answered, still maintaining my smile. I didn’t want to turn the reunion somewhat bitter. “I’m no longer wondering.”

“One year isn’t enough for me.” He revealed, not wanting to accept my excuses. “Can we talk?” He asked once more.

“I don’t have time – “

“Seon – “

“Really, I don’t.” My heart jumped painfully in my chest as I spoke the words again. “I got a lot of orders I need to finish by today before Aunt Dara returns.”

There was a brief silence before Jiwon composed himself. His eyes dropped to the floor and avoided contact with mine. "...Then, can I have a bouquet, please?" 

I nodded my head before looking elsewhere. That was one thing I knew wouldn’t ever change. Leaving the counter, I walked towards the various buckets and grabbed the hydrangeas. While doing so, I could feel his eyes trailing after me. Moving quickly, I finished the bouquet and handed it to him.

“How much – “

“It’s on me.” I offered a smile. “As a congratulation for your debut.” 

***

Staring down at the beautiful bouquet in his hands, Jiwon couldn’t help thinking that even though Seon was still as kind as ever, the distance between them has increased so much that it felt impossible to reach her.

Their meeting proved enough.

Getting closer to the room, Jiwon decided he had other things to worry about. Pushing the situation aside for now, he lifted his hand to knock on the door. Hearing a muffled response, he opened the barrier and moved inside. His mom and Chanwoo stared up at him, shocked by his appearance. 

“Hey, mom.”

“You – “

Handing her the bouquet personally, he leaned down and pulled her into a hug that she readily returned. It had been a long time. “You’re so bad.” Her voice broke upon allowing his presence to sink in. “After not seeing me for so long – “

“I’m sorry.” He said softly. “But, I’m back now.”

Releasing his mom, it gave her the opportunity to hit his chest, preparing to scold him. “You should have at least warned me.” She held on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter