Chapter 13: Taking Initiatives

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Waking up first thing in the morning, I ran downstairs to find noises coming from the kitchen and…an empty couch. Blankets folded neatly and with the pillow stacked on top of it. Like no one had been there the night before.

“Aunt Dara.” I greeted the person responsible for the soft ruckus occurring in the next room. “Where’s Jiwon?”

“He left a little while ago.” She answered while shuffling through the cupboards. “He insisted he was fine so I didn’t stop him.”

I looked back at the couch he had used last night. He sure did make sure to leave early. 

Well, getting him to stay wasn’t any less challenging. 

“By the way, Seon…how did he get those injuries?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Jiwon has a lot of secrets.” Most importantly, they were secrets I was no longer curious about.

***

Jiwon pulled the zipper up until it couldn’t go any higher and tugged the black hood down further so that he could at least hide half of his face. Now that it was bright outside, it’s much harder to keep his appearance hidden from the people he’ll pass on the streets.

Moving down the sidewalk, Jiwon kept his eyes facing down but that was until a certain name being called across the road caught his attention.

“Jinhwan!”

Before he knew it, he was slowing down in his steps to better focus on the scene. Jiwon carefully looked up and found Jinhwan being cornered by a small group of other boys. 

And a few thoughts visited Jiwon’s mind then – 

He was told Jinhwan didn’t deal with violence well and there the group was, terrorizing him. Secondly, Jiwon was asked to watch out for the boy in exchange for his favor.

Taking a deep breath and regretting his agreement, Jiwon pushed his legs forward and crossed the street. Getting closer to the group, he could now hear clearly the words being said to Jinhwan.

Words that simply served no other purpose but to taunt him.

“Why don’t you leave him alone?” Jiwon’s voice rings out from behind.

The boys slowly take their attention off of Jinhwan and turn their heads to see Jiwon. “Why don’t you mind your own business?”

The boy asking the question seemed familiar to Jiwon – and suddenly, he remembered. He was the same boy that was bothering the two on the street a few weeks ago.

“Jungmin, right?” Jiwon recalls and the boy perks up at his name. “Is there a reason why you keep picking on him?” Jiwon motions towards Jinhwan.

Jungmin turns around completely and face Jiwon. His expression demonstrated a lack of patience. He didn’t like interruptions. “Who are you?”

Jiwon slips his hood off – usually his appearance is enough to intimidate others. “I’m a little angry right now, do you really want to stick around and find out?” Jiwon has learned that changing your tone of voice and keeping your eyes steady usually would get people out of his way quickly.

People were apprehensive by confidence. 

And in this case, it was no exception.

Sending Jinhwan one last look over his shoulder, Jungmin silently motions for the small group to leave with him. Now that the two were alone, Jinhwan couldn’t help but stare at the boy in front of him.

“What?”

“Are you really angry?” Jinhwan carefully asked from where he stood. Jungmin finally left him alone but was Jiwon also someone he needed to watch out for?

“Of course not.” Jiwon sighs and pulls the hood back over his head. But, it was enough to scare them away, wasn’t it?

Breathing out in relief, Jinhwan’s frozen body slowly thaws. “Jiwon, your face looks terrible.” The boy comments without discretion.

“I’m going home.” Seeing that there is no longer a point in him standing there, Jiwon returns to his initial task of getting home.

“Hey! I’m going over to Seon’s, why don’t you join?” Jinhwan calls out afterwards – he should thank the boy somehow for getting him out of the mess just moments ago.

“No, thanks.” Jiwon shoots back without hesitating in his steps.

***

Returning home, Jiwon carefully opens the front door. He was trying his best not to make a sound but it proves futile. Whoever he was hoping not to disturb was already awake.

“Brother, you’re home.” Chanwoo peeks out from the living room. A sense of relief was in his tone due to the sight of his older brother.

It seems Chanwoo has been up and waiting for him. “I’m home.” Jiwon responds quietly and slips off his shoes, now more carefree in his manner.

Quickly noticing his older brother’s injuries, Chanwoo held back his curiosity. Every time he asked, it would push Jiwon further away. He would even start isolating himself just so he didn’t have to answer the questions.

“There’s breakfast on the table.” Chanwoo simply says instead of the many questions he had swimming in his mind. “…If you’re hungry.” Eventually, answers will be revealed – well, Chanwoo hoped so anyway.

Jiwon nods before going to the dining table set in the cente

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter