Chapter 32: Decisions

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Jiwon, focus.”

Jiwon blinks back just as Hanbin swings the padding over his head. Nearly getting knocked right in the head, he managed to duck on time before straightening back up to prepare for Hanbin’s next action.

No matter how hard Jiwon forced his eyes to follow Hanbin’s movements, his mind would easily wander to another thought – usually consisting of a specific person. She clung on tight regardless of his wishes and it was interfering in the worst possible times.

Hanbin pulls back his hands and relaxes them at his sides. “You choose now to blank out? Out of all times?” 

Jiwon’s hands also dropped as his chest heaved to move the air down his tight lungs.

“Isn’t he just thinking about Seon?” Junhoe who had been on the side watching all this time blurts while making sure he had everything in his kit to treat possible injuries for the day. “Is she worth getting hit?” He joked with a chuckle.

Jiwon sends a look in his direction but only for the grin to widen on Junhoe’s face in response. Breathing heavily, he wipes the sweat off of his forehead and composes himself.

Training won’t go well if he continues to be distracted like this. And he didn’t need Hanbin or Junhoe to tell him that. 

Hanbin sighs. “You can visit her after – now focus. You want to lose your first match?”

“We aim for what?” Mr. Kim interjects as he passes the ring.

Concentrating on Hanbin in front of him, Jiwon replies. “Knockouts.”

That’s right. He has come too far to stagger now.

***

“One moment – “ Walking out into the front from the backroom, I greeted the customer that the ringing bell just welcomed. 

This time, I was able to keep myself calm and collected upon discovering who it was standing on the other side of the counter. 

“Here for another bouquet…Bobby?” The name still felt slightly strange to use but that couldn’t be helped. Offering him a small smile, I walked out from behind the counter to reach the buckets of flowers arranged neatly throughout the small shop. “I’ve been meaning to ask – “ I moved towards the hydrangeas to prepare the bouquet. “How is your mom?”

“Shouldn’t you know?” He questioned instead and I chuckled.

“What do you mean?”

“Haven’t you been coming around the hospital with flowers?”

My smile disappeared and my movements faltered. Looking at him over my shoulder, I watched for his expression but when he didn’t reveal anything else, I went on to respond.

“I didn’t keep up with her health.” The medical personnel there would never share that kind of sensitive information with non-family members. I was content with just dropping off the bouquets. 

There was a bit of silence before Jiwon spoke up once more.

“Were you hoping that you wouldn’t get found out?”

“I knew it couldn’t remain a secret.” I knew enough that eventually, Jiwon would realize that flowers were left in his name without him actually being presently here. I just hadn’t exactly thought about what I would say once he did.

I thought of possible answers I could give – 

Would he ask me to provide a reason for why I did so?

“Thank you.”

Looking at him, that wasn’t the response I thought I would be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter