Chapter 6: Bandages For You

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After making sure Jinhwan was taken care of and sent home safely, I quietly headed up the stairs. Ignoring everything that the intruders managed to flip or tear apart. Seeing Aunt Dara’s door slightly ajar, I knocked softly before pushing it to open entirely.

“Seon?”

“Look what I got.” I leaned in and shook the small box of ointment. “I forgot Jinhwan had given me a load of these.”

With small flicks of her hand, she motioned me inside. 

I walked in and quickly took my seat on her bed to join her. I gave Aunt Dara my back just as she gently lifted up my shirt to check the bruises on my bare skin. “It hurt, doesn’t it, Seon?”

“Not really.” I subtly gritted my teeth as she begun to rub my back with the cool ointment. As Aunt Dara got back to focusing on treating me, silence rang through her room. “I’m really sorry.”

“Now, why would you be?” She sighed. “You didn’t choose your father.”

“…Should we move?” I asked, repeating the question she had brought up before. 

“Should we?” She wonders out loud. 

“Where would you like to go?” I questioned. “How about Spain? Or Italy? They have nice desserts there.”

“You’re finished.” She pulls my shirt back down just as I spun around.

“Now your turn, Aunt Dara.” I lift her arm to see her own patch of bruises on the upper part of her limb. 

“Be gentle.” She grimaces before I even place my fingertips upon her skin.

“If I can do it, you can do it, Aunt Dara.” I remarked while grinning. Despite my words, I did my best to be gentle and efficient. “…That money –“

“Don’t worry about it, Seon.” Aunt Dara taps my head lightly. “Money is replaceable.”

I looked up and met her eyes. “Then why do you look like you’re about to cry?”

“My hard work!” She groans loudly and drops her head. “All those flowers I had to sell to make that much –“

“I have a paycheck this week.” I offered. “It’s not much but it’ll start filling that compartment again.” I say with a small smile. 

Aunt Dara reaches out and grasps the sides of my face. She pulls me forward and showers me with sudden kisses. “Seon, my Seon, you’re the best.”

I cringe away but Aunt Dara only holds on tighter. 

“What would I do without you, Seon?”

“Shouldn’t I be the one to ask you that?” I chuckled.

***

Ever since running into Jiwon at my aunt’s flower shop, we would see each other in class but other than that, nothing else. I’m not sure if he has been purposely avoiding me or if chance was the thing responsible.

Leaning against the back wall, I stared out into the store. Everything has been restocked, floors have been swept – anything that can be done, I already did. This silence and emptiness can only be partnered with one thing – it was Tuesday. Just like last week and the week before that and the week before that, the shop would be quiet around this time and on this very day.

What was interesting that was always happening?

“Seon?”

“Yes?” My daydreaming halts at the sound of my name.

“Don’t forget your paycheck when you leave today.” My boss reminds me from his office. 

At the mention, I couldn’t hide my smile. “I won’t.”

The moment my shift ended, I made sure to get the small slip of paper that would make Aunt Dara a little less stressed and a little happier. Securing it in the pocket of my blazer, I left the convenience store and started on the path home. Again, my eyes land on the shop – the only shop that had light coming out of its large front window at this time of night. 

Hanbin’s family shop. 

“Seon.”

A cold shiver travels down my spine hearing his voice. Left with no choice but to answer, I turned around to face the man behind the call of my name. 

“I’m in need of money, Seon.” He stood there casually, a few feet away from me. 

I remained silent upon hearing his words while my hand moved up to protectively cover my pocket.

“Please, Seon. I need it.”

“I need it more.” As the fear goes away, the resentment takes over. 

A small snort left his lips. “Why would you need it?”

“Because of you.” I held back my voice. “Because of you –because of the money you owed, men destroyed our house and took Aunt Dara’s money.” Did he forget who gets the end of the stick because of his irresponsibility? Then the thought made me question whether he even considered the consequences of his actions. Did he think of us once? Even just for a moment?

“Seon, they did that. Not me.”

“How could you push off the blame?” I asked with my voice filled with disbelief. “They were looking for you.” If it weren’t for him, we would never be in that situation.

“It wasn’t my fault.” He snapped.

Even now, he won’t admit a single thing. “Take care of whatever it is yourself and stop looking for me every Tuesday when you know I have money.” I turned away and made my way down the sidewalk when I heard quick footsteps following after me. Not reacting fast enough, I felt the back of my blazer get grabbed and my body pushed up against the wall. The sudden pressure placed on my back irritated my injuries

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter