Chapter 22: Far Out of Reach

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You didn’t show up yesterday, Bobby.”

“I didn’t feel like it.” Jiwon responded back without much explanation. Well, did he really need to?

“You’ve been wanting to fight and that’s what I’ve been giving you.” Jangseop stated from his seat behind the desk. “You know how angry people get when they show up expecting something and not get it.”

“That’s not my problem.” 

Jangseop bit the sides of his cheeks in irritation. “It ruins my business, the same business that gets you cash.”

“I have nothing to do with your promotions.” All Jiwon does is fight and that’s entirely left up to him if he wants to or not. 

Seeing how he wasn’t getting his way, Jangseop nods in understanding. “Fine. If you’re going to bail on me then no fights this week.”

Jiwon hid his unhappiness caused by the announcement. One week of no fights means no money. “…Just because I missed one fight?”

“Because you’re making me mad.” Jangseop corrected him.

Jiwon was a person with pride, even in this situation he couldn’t apologize and volunteer to take back his previous words. He would never give Jangseop that gratification – never in a million years. 

Taking it as the end of the conversation, Jiwon turns to leave the office. If it’s one week, the money he has made so far can hold him over until Jangseop begs for him to come back…after all, he is still a crowd favorite. There’s something about watching a young high schooler fight that makes the gamblers go wild. 

“Oh, yeah.” Jiwon suddenly remembers something and looks back at the man at the desk. “Your promotions are getting out of hand. Kids are talking about it in normal conversation.” Hearing his classmates mention this place has gotten Jiwon paranoid. His identity of being a fighter here is being threatened and the last thing he wants is for people to become aware of his unconventional hobby. 

He didn’t bother to hear Jangseop response and continued his way out of the building. 

He had somewhere to get to anyway.

***

“One minute!” I called out when I heard the bell chiming. Rushing out of the backroom, my steps faltered while my exhaustion caught up upon seeing who had entered. “Jiwon, you’re here.”

He looked around the shop. “Ms. Dara still sick?”

“Unfortunately.” I chuckled. It’s terrible that Aunt Dara was still in bed with a high fever and it was terrible that this is how I have to spend time here alone. An easy weekend was so out of reach.

“What do you want me – “

“Here’s the list of what we need to finish today.” I offered him the slip without waiting for the rest of his words. “I’m glad you stopped by.” Running the shop by myself is becoming a nightmare. I am starting to rethink my goal of working here after high school.

I wonder if Aunt Dara is doing this on purpose to make me come to this realization. If that is the case – I won’t let her win.

I released a heavy sigh before pumping myself up to take on the remaining tasks. “I’ll be preparing orders.” I brushed back the loose strands due to my hair bun becoming undone and returned to what I was originally doing.

Walking back to the workbench, I didn’t even notice Jiwon also joining me in the backroom. Only when I heard thumps coming from behind did I see him now organizing the baskets that I had made a mess of since the very morning. 

“Sorry, Jiwon. I’m not very neat when I’m in a rush.” I said with my eyes focused on the bouquet in front of me. Various flowers in different bright colors covered the wooden surface and at times, I find myself lost in psychedelic confusion due to the disarray. 

The bell chimed and I was preparing to meet the customer when Jiwon came up from behind and placed a hand on my shoulder to stop me. 

“I can see what they want.”

“Oh, okay.” I watched him leave through the doorway before looking back down at my working area. Though I allowed Jiwon to meet the customer, I couldn’t entirely take my mind off of the conversation transpiring in the front. 

Lifting my head, I met Jiwon’s gaze just as he peeked his head around the corner. “A bouquet of 12 roses.”

“One moment.” I moved away from the bench and left the backroom. 

“You’re not Ms. Dara.” The customer looked at me with a kind smile as I came into view.

“You’re right.” I c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter