Chapter 33: Some Clearness in the Mess

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sitting at the table on this early morning, my eyes remained on the three tickets lying idly upon the wooden surface. 

Thoughts visited my mind including whether or not I should use them. 

But whenever I thought about going to the event, the night at Mirage would flash in my mind and bring along with it uncomfortable feelings. Looking up at the clock, it was time for me to leave for morning classes. 

With a sigh, I pushed back my chair back and stuffed the tickets into the pocket of my jacket.

***

Slipping the ticket forward, I continued eating my lunch.

“What is this?” Jinhwan stops chewing to ask while he reaches out for it. “Jiwon’s fight?”

I nodded my head, keeping my attention on my chewing.

“He gave them to you?”

“He gave them to Aunt Dara.” I corrected.

“There’s no way he gave just one ticket.” The boy continued guessing and this time, he was right.

“He gave her three.”

Jinhwan eyes me. “So, am I going with company or alone?”

“Alone.” I really considered it but I wouldn’t enjoy it so, why put myself through it.

Sighing, Jinhwan sets the ticket back down. “…Well, I haven’t gotten over my fear yet.” He says in a way to excuse his absence. 

I offered him a small smile when Jinhwan just leaves it at that. 

***

Tying on my apron, I caught the time. It was only a few hours until the fight and realizing my curiosity, I pushed the thought aside. 

“Seon, start taking orders.” My manager advised, successfully stealing my attention.

“Got it.” I tied up my hair and began my shift.

Yet, as the day carried on, I realized there was no chance that Jiwon’s match would escape my attention. It was the center of much of the conversations taking place in the sandwich shop. 

I sighed upon hearing his name once more.

“I hope Bobby wins.”

The topic wasn’t exempt from my coworkers’ discussion either. The two girls, Suhyun and Jisoo continued while I dropped off the dirty dishes in the kitchen. 

“Seon, you heard about the match today as well?” Jisoo asked before I could leave. “Bobby is from our city so he’s been gaining a lot of attention recently.”

“I’ve heard about it.” I answered vaguely.

“It is due to the very reason of him being from this city that everyone wants him to win.” Suhyun pointed out.

“So, why do you want him to win?” Jisoo questioned her.

“Because I enjoy seeing handsome men be successful.” She joked. 

“You know – “ Jisoo nudges the girl beside her. “If we finish our shift quickly, we could catch a part of the fight.”

Agreeing that was a good plan, the girls picked up their pace and quickly carried out their tasks. Staring after them, I smiled to myself. So, this is what it takes to get them to move quickly.

Like Suhyun and Jisoo wanted, shift ended early and getting into my home with Aunt Dara, my eyes instinctively fell on the TV. Staring at it for a few seconds, I make the decision to turn it on and on the channel of the live match currently happening.

Scanning the information on the screen, I saw his victory.

Unknowingly, I let out a sigh of relief. The screen pans to the sight of the referee holding Jiwon’s hand up in the air as roars of cheers meet the announcement of his first win. In the background, Hanbin watches on with a grin upon his face outside of the fighting cage. Mr. Kim and Junhoe were busy working with medical personnel to prepare for Jiwon.

Taking notice of Jiwon’s injuries whenever I could, I find myself unable to smile.

The bruise already forming around his eye. The cut at the corner of his lips. The scratches upon his bare chest – 

“You should have just gone.”

Snapping my head up, I find Aunt Dara slipping her shoes off at the front door. I didn’t hear her come in.

“I had work…and it happened to be on.” Lifting the control, I proceeded to click the power button – 

“Don’t turn it off.” She hurried in to watch.

Silently, I reached for my belongings. “Then, I’m going to prepare for bed.” I announced softly and got up from the couch. Leaving Aunt Dara behind, I walked into my bedroom.

***

Expecting a certain person to stop by today, I find myself mistaken. Staring at the front entrance, I wondered if he was training even at this moment without fully allowing his body to recover after last night.

With Aunt Dara’s arrival, I went off to classes.

And like that, another day ended. “I’m home – “ I looked into the kitchen and the sight interrupted the rest of my words.

“Seon, guess who stopped by.” Aunt Dara greeted me with her usual characteristic smile. 

Sitting at the table was none other than Jiwon. 

“Hello.” I greeted him.

“I have some matters to take care of so I’ll be in my room.” Aunt Dara gets up from her seat and just as she passes me, she nudges me forward. 

Jiwon looked up and while I was hesitantly making my way into the kitchen. Casually, I went to the fridge to fill a cup with water.

“How was your day?” He asked softly from behind.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter