Chapter 3: Silent Wishes

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seon.”

Jinhwan had been trying to gather my attention the last few minutes but I wasn’t giving in. I was in a middle of an important thought and I just couldn’t push it aside just yet. Besides, I already had an idea as to why he was calling for me. 

“Could you possibly put in a little bit more effort, Seon?” 

When I didn’t respond this time either, he spoke out again.

“Please stop staring.”

He continues and while I had no intention of following what his words had asked me to do. 

“Jinhwan, isn’t it weird that no teacher steps in?” At the current moment, Jiwon had once again managed to get me to notice him. All it took was for him to sit in my line of vision at his regular lunch table and while covered in new bruises. After seeing him last night, I was curious to find out what shape he was going to be in today. “How could they look at him and not think of doing anything about it?”

“Please look at me while you’re talking.” 

Hearing his subtle snappy tone, I gave him what he so desired. “Jinhwan, my question.” I reminded him to answer.

“Why are you so fascinated with him?” Instead of answering, Jinhwan had his own questions he wanted resolved.

“I haven’t figured it out yet.” Since my usual response would be that the boy just called for my curiosity, this time, I decided to think more on what it was about him that succeeded to fill my waking thoughts. 

Accepting my reply, Jinhwan took a short glimpse of the boy of my focus. “People make assumptions.”

“About what?”

“The teachers probably just assumed he was causing trouble and decided to leave it as it is and I don’t think Jiwon is the type to actually accept the help or ask for it.” Jinhwan concludes.

“What makes you think he’s like that?”

“Because I also make my own assumptions.” He merely answers and it doesn’t draw an immediate reply from me. 

After lunch period ended, Jinhwan and I calmly returned along with the other students back to our classroom. Instead of focusing on the lesson that was transpiring at the front of the classroom, my eyes were sneaking glances of Jiwon. 

It bothered me. 

Did he not have anyone to look after him?

Never having my questions answered and always having more whenever I got a look at him, it bothered me immensely. 

***

Being the last one to leave after class ended, Mr. Woo entrusted me with some folders to drop off at the teachers’ office. With Jinhwan accompanying me toward the destination, we glided down the hallway; avoiding the students that were too obsessed with leaving to pay attention to the people they were sharing the corridors with.

With a soft knock, I walked in and dropped off the materials to the closest teacher available. Before I went back to meeting Jinhwan by the doorway, my eyes caught sight of a particular adult – the beloved guidance counselor of this school. Mr. Kang, or otherwise known adoringly as Daesung, whose eyes smiles would draw bright grins from the students.

And something comes to mind at that moment. 

“Mr. Kang.” I called out politely while walking up to his desk.

“Yes?” 

“I have a concern.” Jinhwan would be terribly mad but I felt this unexplainable need to do it. “Do you know a student named Kim Jiwon?”

Mr. Kang pursed his lips in thought, mentally going through the countless students in his head. “Jiwon?” He repeated the name once more before a look of recognition flashed in his eyes. “Yes, I do know of him.”

“…Please check up on him when you have a chance.” 

If they weren’t going to do it on their own accord, I thought I would provide a little urging.

Without questioning the reasoning behind my words, he returned a genuine smile and comforted me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter