Chapter 11: Little By Little, You've Let Me In

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“How did you do on your test?” Jinhwan questioned at lunch. A topic that I really didn’t want to think about or discuss at the current point in time. After all, I had only forgotten about it a few minutes ago.

“Maybe I should just run Aunt Dara’s flower shop.” I said thoughtfully.

“That bad, huh?” Jinhwan looked at me in sympathy.

“I’m really no good.” The words left through a sigh.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” He was quick to scold me for my words but I really didn’t have the energy to fight him on it. There was a moment of brief silence where the both of us got started with our lunches but Jinhwan was quick to break it. “You know what I just noticed?”

“What’s that?” I ate my spoonful of rice and placed my attention on him.

“You’ve stopped talking about Jiwon completely.”

“You’re the one bringing him up all the time now.” I chuckled. 

“So, what happened? Not that I’m complaining but I want to know why.” 

“I’m just not curious anymore.” I focused my attention back on the food in front of me.

“Then, why do you still care about what happens to him?”

I thought about his words carefully. “…A sense of duty?” Are those the right words to use? The more I thought about it, I couldn’t think of any better way to describe it.

“You don’t owe him anything, Seon.” 

“Just relax, Jinhwan.” I chuckled at his attitude. “I’m not going to forget about you.” I cooed playfully.

“That’s not why I’m worried.”

Though Jinhwan sounded genuinely concerned, I couldn’t seem to feel the same way or figure out why he could be feeling that way.

***

After my nightly scheduled workday ended, I remembered I had an appointment to get to. 

And not a moment later, I arrived before the shop’s door. “Mr. Kim, I’m here.” I called out politely the moment I entered the training center. 

Hanbin greeted me before looking around. “Jiwon isn’t here with you? Where is he?”

“Who knows?” I shrugged as I watched Mr. Kim come out to greet me.

“You’re right on time.” He dragged a chair behind him. He was already prepared, it seemed. 

Soon, the front door to the training center opens up once more and Jiwon walks in. His eyes land on me automatically. “What are you doing?”

“I’m not here for you.” I respond before walking around Mr. Kim, who has now taken his seat. I placed my hands out and began the massage I promised him. 

“A little harder, Seon.” Hanbin’s father pats my hand. “I had a rough day today.” He sighed heavily.

“On it, Mr. Kim.” I leaned down so I could whisper. “And you’ll go easy on him, like you promised?”

He hummed a positive. The secret still remaining between the both of us.

Hanbin and Jiwon shared a look before Hanbin left to return with the first aid kit. The two took their seats on the exercise mat, leaving me to my current task of relieving Mr. Kim of his aches.

“Hey, have any of you heard of ‘Mirage’?” It was mentioned to me again today by another advertiser on the way to work. I’ve been hearing it often these days. “I don’t know how legit it is because they never hand out flyers or anything.” I kept up my movements while looking at the two boys across the center.

Hanbin kept his back facing to me and his attention on his treating. “I’ve never heard of it.”

Jiwon remained quiet while Mr. Kim patted my hand once more to gather my attention. “Avoid that kind of stuff, Seon. There are a lot of scammers these days.”

I nod my head. “I figured as much.”

***

Despite the next school day being uneventful, it passed quickly. Not before long, I found myself at my locker ready to leave for Aunt Dara’s flower shop since I had no prior work obligations to get to.

“Helping at the shop today?” Jinhwan questioned and I nodded my head. 

“Aunt Dara has been really cheery lately.” I commented while thinking about meeting up with her soon. “Noticeably cheery.” I emphasized. 

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Jinhwan chuckled.

“I just know there is a reason behind it.” I said thoughtfully. Not that Aunt Dara isn’t naturally happy, but lately, it just felt different. And of course, I wanted to know.

“Maybe she’s in love.”

I laughed at the possibility. “I haven’t thought about it – it’s impossible.” Once finishing my tasks at my locker, I waved goodbye to Jinhwan before heading towards the exit. Shuffling through the students wasn’t difficult – that was until I bumped into someone.

It wasn’t like I was being careless either.

I looked up and found out whom it was. “Sorry, Jiwon.” I offered a small smile before moving around him.

“Hold it.” He pulled me back in front of him.

“Is this another favor?” This was all too familiar. Jiwon coming directly to me for a second time. “I can’t this time – I promised my aunt I would be at the shop as scheduled.” I couldn’t skip out again – I needed to get on her good side so I have a plan for a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter