Chapter 23: We're Different

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Mirage?” Why does that sound so familiar? Mindlessly, I moved my books into my locker while trying my best to organize through my memory to find where I had heard that name. 

And suddenly, it clicked.

“The scam?” 

“I don’t think it is.” Jinhwan stated otherwise. “I think it would be good for me – “

“Why don’t you stop by Hanbin’s training center instead, it might be more helpful.” And not so suspicious as some place called, ‘Mirage’.  “I can ask him.”

“I really want to try this, Seon. Come with me.” 

Sighing, I placed the last book into my locker. “I’ll think about it.”

Hearing the possibility of my agreement, a smile appeared upon his lips. “I’ll go ahead and save a place for us in the lunch line.” 

“Okay.” I matched his expression and returned my attention back on arranging my things as he walked off. Closing my locker, I turned away and felt someone reaching for my arm. I come to a stop and look to see. “Jiwon?”

“Do not go there.”

“Where? Mirage?” 

“Seon, I’m being serious.”

“Why? What’s there?” I didn’t notice it right away but soon it dawn on me. The fear that appeared in his eyes. 

“Just tell me you won’t go.” He stated instead. 

No matter how long I observed his expression, there was no way I would find the answer. “…Okay, I won’t go.” 

Hearing my answer, his hold loosens and he releases me. “…Let’s go to lunch.” He starts walking first and I follow behind. My eyes shift up and I watch him from the back – how many secrets does Jiwon stay silent about?

***

“Jinhwan, I’m thinking a movie night is more appealing.” I spoke over the phone.

“Seon, you said you’d think about it.”

“And I did.” I heard the disappointment over his tone but I have come to learn that it is best to just listen to Jiwon. He didn’t always say much and if he was going out of his way to warn me about this, I didn’t have the mind to ignore it.

“But when you say that, you usually give in.”

“Well, not this time, Jinhwan.” I chuckled before grabbing my pillow and hugging it to my chest. “So, maybe we could watch that movie you’ve been dying to see.”

“I’m dying to see this place, Mirage.”

I breathed out. Convincing Jinhwan was always a hard mission. “I don’t think it’s a good idea. We don’t even know what to expect.”

“Seon –“

“Jinhwan, my house tonight.”

“…Fine.”

“I’ll see you soon, okay?” 

“Okay.”

Leaving my bed, I went ahead and prepared for Jinhwan’s visit. Getting the movie and snacks was always a must. But as time inched closer and with no appearance from Jinhwan, I still didn’t suspect anything.

My phone begins ringing and seeing that it was a call from Jinhwan, I quickly picked it up.

“Jinhwan, where are – “

“Seon, I’m sorry. If you don’t want to go, I can go on my own.”

My smile disappeared. “Jinhwan, don’t.”

“It’ll be okay. I’ll let you know how it is.”

“No – “ There was no other way. “Where is this place?” Rushing to my room, I grabbed my jacket and hurried out of the house. I would have to just go myself and make sure I force Jinhwan home. 

Moving down the dark sidewalks, I just hoped Jinhwan didn’t get there before me. And with the location just up ahead, I saw a figure sitting down at the curb. “Jinhwan!” I hissed and upon reaching him, he grabbed onto my hands.

“Let’s go.”

“No.” I tugged him back so he would face me once more. “Jinhwan, I’m here to take you home – “

“Since we’re here, just a second.” He pleaded. “Just a second and we’ll be out of there.”

Before I could answer, he held onto my hand and pulled me towards the building. The metal door was tightly secured but you could still hear the music playing loudly on the inside. Knocking on it, it was yanked opened strongly and caused us to flinch in response. The burly man on the other side motioned us in but the loud music and dark atmosphere was enough to make me to want to run the other way. Holding onto Jinhwan’s hand tightly, he led us inside. 

From the walls, floors, and to the ceiling, it was all cemented blocks. Just a huge garage that was filled with a large number of people.

“Jinhwan.” I gulped a nervous lump in my throat at the sight of crowds of older

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter