Chapter 37: Recover What's Hidden

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Again?”

I merely nodded before continuing on my lunch. Jinhwan watched me silently before voicing his curiosity.

“You’re not going this time either?”

I shook my head. I didn’t have an explanation even if Jinhwan hoped for one or even if he asked, I would have offered the same one. He sighed before taking the ticket from my hand.

“I’m not the one Jiwon hopes to see at his fight.” He commented gently. 

“Jinhwan…” I softly called out and he answered with his attention on me. “I don’t know how to make it work.” I kept my eyes on my lunch, playing with my salad. I know what Jiwon wants but I don’t think we’re on the same page.

“You’re saying that without giving it a chance.”

I looked up at him. “It hurts…to see him get those injuries.” I whispered quietly. 

“Seon, I know you want to protect him but it’s almost like you’re coddling him. He’s old enough to do what he wants.” Jinhwan explains. “If he wants to go out and fight then that’s what he wants. It’s not illegal…he’s not doing anything wrong but you’re making it seem that way.”

***

I winced.

“How awful. He cheated.” Aunt Dara commented from beside me. She had been so fixated on the match that this was the first time she had spoken to me.

But I was just as focused, my eyes never left the screen even as the question left my lips. “Do you think it’s broken?” We were both watching the live viewing of Jiwon’s latest fight. Just as Jiwon released his successful hold on his opponent that brought him victory, the fighter took one last swing after the fight ended and it connected with Jiwon’s nose bridge, successfully catching him off guard.

As Jiwon’s nose began to bleed, he was announced the victor. He won the second fight into his career.

“I think it is.” Aunt Dara answers.

From the corner of my eye, I see her observing me. “What is it, Aunt Dara?” I turned to face her.

“You’re still in your work clothes.”

My eyes dropped to look down at myself. I was in such a rush to make sure I catch the viewing that I hadn’t realized and didn’t bother to shower or change.

“Were you afraid you’ll miss the fight?’ She questioned with a sly expression upon her face.

“That’s not it.” I denied before facing the TV screen once more.

Instead of calling my bluff, she merely smiled.

“…I just wanted to know if he would be alright.” I muttered quietly, regrettably causing her smile to widen. But seeing how the fight has ended, there was no reason for me to stay out here and no reason for me to have to deal with Aunt Dara’s judgmental gaze. “I’m going to prepare for bed.” I leave her behind on the couch as I made my way into my room.

After getting out of the shower and slipping on my swe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter