Chapter 10: Sometimes, Secrets Should Stay Secrets

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I’m home.” I called out the moment I found myself stepping into the kitchen. I closed the front door behind me and made sure to lock it. Instead of the usual greeting I was waiting for, silence readily welcomed me. “Aunt Dara?”

“Seon!”

The cheerful exclaim takes me by surprise before a figure appears at the doorway that led from the kitchen into the living room.

“There’s plenty of food on the table left for you.” She continued.

I watched her carefully. Aunt Dara is normally bright but today, it seems it was taken up a notch. “Did something good happen today?” I smiled while looking at her.

“Not really.” She responds. “Just a normal day.”

***

Grabbing the single toast off the counter, Jiwon placed it into his mouth and bit down before putting his school shoes on. Though, the unexpected sound of an opening door behind him makes him quietly curse underneath his breath.

Thinking he could leave before Chanwoo would wake up was a mistake.

“Brother?”

Jiwon kept facing forward and continued fixing his shoes. “I have to hurry.” He mumbled through the toast in his mouth.

Silence rang out from behind him. 

“Get to school on time.” Jiwon says lastly and straightens up.

“Are you hiding your face from me?” Chanwoo asked softly from behind after noticing his brother’s rushed behavior. 

Jiwon stilled in his movements. 

“You went out again –“

“I’m leaving.” 

Knowing he shouldn’t have brought it up, Chanwoo was quick to change the topic. “Remember, it’s your turn to get flowers today.”

Without another word, Jiwon leaves through the front door.

Other than heaving a sigh, Chanwoo didn’t know what else to do.

***

Walking into school, I didn’t know I was in for a big surprise.

“Hey.”

I suddenly felt my body getting jerked in another direction down a separate hallway and I looked up to find myself face to face with Jiwon. I was rendered speechless – Jiwon would never voluntarily seek me out.

“Good morning, Jiwon.” I greeted him with a bright smile. “So, what’s up?”

Jiwon darted his eyes away from me. “I have after school duties.”

I pursed my lips, finding his sudden statement strange. “Why…are you telling me?” I asked.

“…Can you take my place?” 

To be honest, it didn’t even seem like a request to me. It sounded like a half-hearted plea. “I guess I can tell my aunt –“

“Thanks.” He tapped the side of my arm before quickly leaving me by myself.

“You didn’t even hear until the end.” I called out after him but the boy didn’t waver in his steps even after clearly hearing me. 

I wonder what he was up to that he came to me directly for help.

***

“Seon, you’re going to get used.” Jinhwan commented from his seat on one of the student’s desks. “Like, really.”

“He asked.” I answered. Not really, but it would really dampen my mood if I admit he didn’t. The broom in my hands draws back my attention as I work to get the classroom clean and spotless as quickly as possible. I still needed to help Aunt Dara at the shop after this.

“I still can’t figure out why you’re going this far for him.” The boy stated. “I mean, there is absolutely no reason for you to – just tell me, do you like him?”

I chuckled. “No.” 

“Why do you care so much about what he does in his free time?”

I stopped in my movements. “I figured out something, Jinhwan.”

“What is it?” He asked carefully. 

“I think I gave up trying to piece together the mystery that is Jiwon.” Even though I said it, I still couldn’t quite grasp how it would make sense in Jinhwan’s mind.

He takes a moment to think over my words. “What in the world are you saying?”

“I can’t make it any clearer than that.” I answered with a chuckle.

Hearing my answer that did nothing to clear up his curiosity, he sighed. “Whatever you’re thinking about in your head, at least be smart about it. Alright, Seon?”

“Alright.” I looked up and smiled at him.

***

After picking up the same bouquet of purple flowers, Jiwon quickly made his way towards the destination. As he enters the building, he made sure to pull his cap down lower. 

Following the familiar hallways, Jiwon liked to think to himself that if his eyes were blocked, he would still manage to find his way around the building. That’s how often he has come here for the past four years.

“Hey, mom.” Jiwon opens the door softly and closes it behind himself.

The older woman, who was sitting up in her hospital bed, set her book she had been currently reading aside. “How has my son been?” She greeted him with a smile. 

The same greeting he received the days he did come see her.

“Good.” He answers softly as he prepares the hydrangeas into the vase on her bedside table. Though his mom noticed he was taking longer than usual. 

“Jiwon, come over here and sit down.”

Hesitating in his steps, Jiwon reluctantly sat in the chair that was already pulled up next to her bed. Facing the ground, Jiwon made sure his cap covered his face. 

His mom reaches out and softly takes the cap off of his head. “Jiwon.”

Again, he falters on lifting his head but ends up meeting her eyes anyways due to her gentle urging.

“Goodness, Jiwon.” She gasps as she holds his chin with her thumb and index finger. “Did you get into another fight?” The bruise around his eye didn’t have enough time to heal yet.

“You know how I don’t get along well with others.” He responds.

“Who are these boys that keep picking on you?” Her face wrinkled in concern. “Let me call their mothers.”

“Mom, it’s fine.” 

She drops her hand and keeps her gaz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter