Chapter 36: It Takes a Step and A lot of Courage

Behind Those Lovely Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

With Jinhwan’s insistence, I stepped out of view as he waited for the young man to leave the small shop. Just thinking of the whole situation would get my body tensed and my hands clenched tightly at my side. If I was nervous, I couldn’t fathom how my friend must be feeling.

From across the street, I kept my sights on Jinhwan. 

And soon, he was joined by another presence.

Jungmin. The same boy who no matter what, can’t seem to let Jinhwan be. 

The buzzing in my pocket temporarily steals my attention. Tearing my eyes away from Jinhwan, I looked down on the screen to find Jiwon calling me. Merely silencing it, I stuff my phone away and return back to my current task. 

And within seconds, I knew I couldn’t stand still.

Jungmin already had Jinhwan backing away towards the road and I knew I needed to let my friend handle this alone but not when his safety is compromise in return. Dashing across the road, I didn’t hold back my voice. “Hey! Get your hands off of him.” I snapped.

Jinhwan stared at me with wide eyes. “Seon – “

Now standing in front of Jungmin, I wanted to reveal all of the nasty thoughts I had whenever he would be brought up. I wanted to tell him how badly he has treated Jinhwan and how it has affected the young man all these years. I had so much to say but – 

“Jungmin, Jinhwan has something to say to you and you will stand here and hear him out.” I ordered before stepping aside once more.

“Or what?” Jungmin retorted.

“I’m the one you should be talking to.” Jinhwan gathered all of his courage and stepped forward. “Jungmin, after all these years, I still can’t understand why you are the way you are…and especially towards me.” He released a shaky breath and covered up his nervousness by speaking. “What I’m saying is – “

Jungmin’s hand darts out and nudges Jinhwan in the chest, causing him to move backwards. “Do you want to know why?” He spoke lowly. “Because you’re an easy target. No matter what I did to you, you took it.” 

Jinhwan stared back at the young man but couldn’t utter a word.

“Look at you now. You’re still the same.”

“No – “

“What? I couldn’t hear you.” Jungmin continued his slow charge forward.

“Jungmin.” I called out warningly.

“Stay out of it, Seon.” He growled beneath his breath. “You’re still protecting him?”

“Stop it.” The words softly left Jinhwan’s lips but predictably, they go unheard. 

“Nothing has changed.” Jungmin commented.

“Stop it!” Jinhwan yelled back and it was enough to still Jungmin’s actions. “Stop touching me.” He managed to force out.

Despite witnessing Jinhwan’s unexpected reaction, it only spurred a smile on Jungmin’s lips. “Do you want to know something, Jinhwan?” The young man leaned forward condescendingly. “No matter how hard you try to change; you’ll still be the same old you.”

Jinhwan held Jungmin’s gaze, trying ever so hard to not let it waver.

“What exactly are you going to do to me when you can’t even – “

“Hit me.”

Jinhwan’s sudden words took both Jungmin and I by surprise.

“Jinhwan.” I stated, hoping there was some way to make him realize the weight of his own words.

Jungmin snorted. “What?”

“I said, hit me.” He repeated with more confidence than I was used to witnessing. “Why are you hesitating?” Words of taunt slipped from his lips.

“Shut the hell up, Jinhwan.” And slowly, Jungmin was giving into it.

Now that we have come to this point, what do I do? My fingers twitched at my sides as it skimmed the phone in my pocket – I hate to do this but if I were to contact Jiwon…

Jinhwan glances at me quickly after noticing my strange behavior and I was fast to recognize that silent message.

He didn’t want me to interfere.

He diverts his attention back to the young man in front of him. “So?” 

“You’re going to regret this.” Jungmin says under his breath before grabbing Jinhwan by the collar of his shirt. 

“We are in the middle of a sidewalk.” I voiced to remind them.

“Who the hell cares.” Jungmin sneered. 

Jinhwan clutched his shaking hands at his sides and held his stare. “Just hurry up and do it.” 

Jungmin lifted his fist and pulled back while I was predicting the sort of damage to expect after this whole confrontation comes to an end. 

“Is there a problem out here?” An employee from the nearby shop steps out to ask. He looked between Jungmin and Jinhwan. “Do I have to call the police?”

Releasing his grip, Jungmin forced a smile upon his lips. “Nope. There’s no trouble.”

Still standing there, the employee waited for the tension between the two to dissipate. Jungmin leaned forward and whispered his words lowly – 

“Next time.” He stepped back and sending Jinhwan one last glance, he walked off to leave us. 

I turned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter